TPMS failure - tire location identifying

XP900

Established Member
My 2010 intermittently gives me a tire pressure error although it doesn't display any information as to what tire may be having the issue. I replaced all four a few years back (replacement set from Ebay but they were Motorcraft and only a year or so old). Is there information I can pull to see what location is failing? I have the Autel TPMS tool I used for a Highlander and I am tempted to replace all the Motorcraft with a set of their programmable sensors if I can't correctly identify the failing unit.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
If there is an issue with your TPMS sensors/system. The SJB will set a DTC.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) DTC Chart

DTC​
Description​
B106BTire Pressure Sensor Low Battery
B2868LF Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2869RF Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2870RR Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2871LR Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2872Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B287ATire Pressure System Fault

XP900

Established Member
If there is an issue with your TPMS sensors/system. The SJB will set a DTC.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) DTC Chart

DTC​
Description​
B106BTire Pressure Sensor Low Battery
B2868LF Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2869RF Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2870RR Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2871LR Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2872Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B287ATire Pressure System Fault
Thanks....I think my problem is a low battery in my driver side rear. My Autel can read it but the signal appears to be too weak for the car to pick up. I'm hoping I can break the bead and replace it myself using the HF tool.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Just a guess here if you don't have a scan tool...I would put the car in TPMS Learn Mode, then try to re-synch each sensor. The one that doesn't pair should be the one? What do you think Vinnie?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Just a guess here if you don't have a scan tool...I would put the car in TPMS Learn Mode, then try to re-synch each sensor. The one that doesn't pair should be the one? What do you think Vinnie?
Im interested in the codes, if any that he was getting before I can give any input. But, I believe @XP900 identified the one he was having a issue with, if the battery is the issue, not much can be done but replacement of the sensor.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my grandmother's 08 expedition was having a tpms issue and I was able to see the battery status with Forscan. One was dead but the other 3 were all pretty close so ended up replacing them all.

XP900

Established Member
Yeh...I pulled the two rears since I knew they were the originals and I could see one was having problems even with the Autel tool reading it. I replaced both rears ....every now and then I still get a failure (probably a front one) but it clears up. Pulling the tires and breaking the beads on the Michelins is a chore even with the HF tools (an hour+ a tire and it isn't easy on the sidewalls ). I replace them all in the spring with new ones when I change out the tires.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeh...I pulled the two rears since I knew they were the originals and I could see one was having problems even with the Autel tool reading it. I replaced both rears ....every now and then I still get a failure (probably a front one) but it clears up. Pulling the tires and breaking the beads on the Michelins is a chore even with the HF tools (an hour+ a tire and it isn't easy on the sidewalls ). I replace them all in the spring with new ones when I change out the tires.
Them TPMS are a pain in ass but serve a very good purpose. I will never go without them!!

Users who are viewing this thread