TR6060 failure or clutch?

rallen

SVT Poster
Established Member
Drove it hard one day and could hear a light clunk each time I shifted when I let out the clutch. Next time I drove it, it had a 1-2 grind, then 2-3, unless I shift it real easy. I was thinking synchros, but now it'll even doing it going into 6th and progressively getting worse. It's feels like it grinds after it's already in gear if I pull the shifter back to far (if that makes any sense).

08 gt500 w/20K miles, I bought the car used with a dealer installed Spec 2 clutch from the previous owner and it's rattles like crazy. Car has never shifted properly; like it's a chore to shift it and never has liked 1-2. A MGW (1st gen) shifter helped some. No slipping and peddle feels fine; it's heavy and feels like I should use both legs to push it in and hate getting stuck in traffic, but it's been that way since 1st drive.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to get a Magnum XL, but I'd hate to spend all that cash just to have it be a TOB or something simple. Have any of you experienced anything like this?

I searched and read a bunch of threads, but didn't run across anything similar.

Cdroundy

Established Member
What shifter do you have? I have been reading that the stock is so bad it can cause grinding when shifting. I have not seen any reports other that 1-2 but guess it could happen.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
If its all of the sudden Id say its clutch related. all the syncros couldn't go bad at once. My answer was a Magnum xl with the RXT and aluminum flywheel. rattles a bit between 1600-1800 but i just stay out of that range by only up shifting after 2500. My RXT pedal is lighter than stock (by a bit) and grabs around the middle of clutch pedal travel. The absolute best part about the T56 Magnum is once it warms up the constant "wondering of if its in gear" (even during regular driving) is gone. It just goes click,click,click into every gear.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
If its all of the sudden Id say its clutch related. all the syncros couldn't go bad at once. My answer was a Magnum xl with the RXT and aluminum flywheel. rattles a bit between 1600-1800 but i just stay out of that range by only up shifting after 2500. My RXT pedal is lighter than stock (by a bit) and grabs around the middle of clutch pedal travel. The absolute best part about the T56 Magnum is once it warms up the constant "wondering of if its in gear" (even during regular driving) is gone. It just goes click,click,click into every gear.

Got a vid of this "rattle"? I know with these cars as heavier as they are you are supposed to stay with a steel fly-wheel, but a rattle would def bother the heck out of me and seem unnatural....

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
sounds like the clutch, could need to space the slave cylinder as many have told me, or it was improperly installed. .

rallen

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the help. Another question (might be a dumb one) does the transmission use different synchros for 1-2 and 2-3 gears (shifts)?

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Got a vid of this "rattle"? I know with these cars as heavier as they are you are supposed to stay with a steel fly-wheel, but a rattle would def bother the heck out of me and seem unnatural....

Not sure how to post videos or pics yet. A little embarrassing but Ill try.

nxhappy

Established Member
grinding could be synchro's or other tranny problem. Or maybe the clutch isn't fully engaging. if the clutch is slipping RPMs would increase, but speed would not increase.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
grinding could be synchro's or other tranny problem. Or maybe the clutch isn't fully engaging. if the clutch is slipping RPMs would increase, but speed would not increase.

Isn't a good test to take it to 40-50mph and put it in 5th or 6th gear and push the throttle down to see if it is slipping? Anyway dunno much about the Spec 2 but that sounds like one horrific clutch. My other three buddies that were like "get a manual" vary from the VW BUG, to the Mini S, and the M3. All of them think the stock '12 clutch is "heavy as hell" so I can't imagine what that Spec was like but if it was that night-marish, prob hard to even use the clutch right.

Users who are viewing this thread