Track day brake pads

MarkusK

Established Member
I need some input from them that track there cars.When I bought my car it had the stock brakes on.The pads was worn and the back discs was warped.
Changed to a noname bling discs and pads that are fine for the street but useless att the track.So for trackdays I intend to use the old discs (fixed) and buy some nice pads, so what pads should I buy?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I need some input from them that track there cars.When I bought my car it had the stock brakes on.The pads was worn and the back discs was warped.
Changed to a noname bling discs and pads that are fine for the street but useless att the track.So for trackdays I intend to use the old discs (fixed) and buy some nice pads, so what pads should I buy?

I'm going to move this to where you're going to get more/better responses.

A lot depends on your level of experience. If you're just starting out you can use the stock street pads but I would add front brake cooling, fresh brake fluid and upgrade the front brake lines to a good braided version.

Once you get better/faster on track you can start getting into a better multi-purpose pad like a Hawk HPS. Then once you get into a full blown track pad you should have dedicated rotors to go with the track pads and not use them on the street other than the bedding process.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is this an 03/04 Cobra?
How many events have you done so far?
Any brake cooling ducts yet?

I added brake cooling ducts as my second mod, right after FLSFCs.
This enabled me to run fairly fast with stock tires and pads.
It has come to my attention that 99-04 Cobras have a greatly improved stock rubber brake line and no longer presents a safety issue, like the 96-98 OE hoses did. [ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1216146]Are braided stainless brake hoses stiffer than stock? - Corral.net : Ford Mustang Forums[/ame]
I am a big fan of Carbotech pads and run them on the street and track. This allows me to run the same rotors for both purposes because the pad transfer material is so similar.

What ever pad you chose please carefully follow the bedding in procedure for both pads and rotors. YES IT MATTERS A LOT!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Although I still consider myself a 'newb', I would recommend the Hawk HP+ for a starting pad.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Some fresh fluid, brake ducts, and some Hawk HP+ or EBC yellows will work for your first year, maybe more.

David Hester

Established Member
Fresh Motul-600, some Hawks HP+ (if can get them over there.)
What tracks are you interested in?
I'm not a fan of EBC's on cars, but others like them. Another choice over there would be some Ferodo DS2500's. I used Ferodo's on my formula ford years ago.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
I ran Motul RBF 600 fluid and Hawk HP+ pads with front brake ducts on basic street tires for a few weekends. My current set-up is not much different. I've added rear brake ducts, which are Hawk HP+ pads and Hawk HT-10 pads in the front on Michelin PS2 tires. Car is about 3500 lbs w/ driver with Cobra brake set-up.

Good fluid and HP+ pads should be enough for a while.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Another vote for Hawk HP+. Moderate price, good performance and widely available. You won't need ultra aggressive pads until track experience improves and/or you switch from street tires to a track day tires.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
What can I say, another vote for Hawk. But just like beer, everybody will have their favorate.
And fresh fluid is important, as well as cooling.

David Hester

Established Member
And fresh fluid is important, as well as cooling.
Yes, fresh, cold beer is important. Plenty of ice in chest. :dancenana:

Oh. Wait. Maybe I misunderstood, again.

Last edited:

Sirl

Established Member
The majority of guys in our club, myself included run the Hawks, but a step up from the HP's.

I run the DTC-70's in the front and DTC-60's in the rear.

Its a pretty solid setup. I have never over cooked the brakes, and it stops very hard.

I'm pretty happy with them. I also do drive the car on the street on occasion, and to and from the track with no issues. They are very dusty though.

I would say to run through a set of HP+, then step up to the DTC series.

David Hester

Established Member
I used DTC-70' front/ HP+ rears on my A/Sedan car I ran in SCCA.
Yes, DTC 70's don't fade, but do take some temperature to get them to work well. Not the safest thing on the street.
I got better all around braking from HT-14's (not available anymore) or HT-10's especially on tracks with less braking needed. DTC 70 work great from 140 to 80, but not so good when braking from 60-30, if they weren't already hot.
I even had good luck with Hawk Blue's at VIR, where there is only one REALLY hard braking area (turn 1).
Check out the Hawk Performance site. They have a chart that tells what temperatue range each pad works best. Just be realistic in your choice and needs.
They are very dusty though.
Yes. yes they are. Also, they are real hard on rotors if they aren't up to temperature. Much like grabbing the rotor with 2 rocks in the caliper.
That is the reason the HP+ may be a better street/light track day pad.
Even the HP+'s can squeal and grind when cold on cold rotors, like stop and go traffic.
Something to think about in Sweden.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
The majority of guys in our club, myself included run the Hawks, but a step up from the HP's.

I run the DTC-70's in the front and DTC-60's in the rear.

Its a pretty solid setup. I have never over cooked the brakes, and it stops very hard.

I'm pretty happy with them. I also do drive the car on the street on occasion, and to and from the track with no issues. They are very dusty though.

I would say to run through a set of HP+, then step up to the DTC series.

+1. I use the DTC-70/60 combo. Gives a very good balance front to rear without a bias controller.

MFE

Established Member
Depends on the track, you, your car's power, your car's weight, and your tires, but as a good starting point for a relatively powerful full-weight mustang at the hands of somebody in his first few track events, I'd recommend bedding a set of Carbotech XP8's for track days. Fantastic pad, easy on rotors, but not for much street usage unless you like dust and noise. I've kept them on the car for use between track days but that laziness makes expensive dust. Now I run HPS for the street, and the day before a track event I install the Carbotech's, swap them out soon after. You'll graduate to XP10's or 12's over time, but the 8's are a good starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread