track day brakes

victorc

Established Member
Just curious, what's the best brake upgrade (and maybe a couple of in-betweens) for the 2014 gt500, for heavy track duty? I'm looking to learn what the most capable system is, regardless of whether it's needed. For me, the most important mod would be making sure you never lose brakes coming fast into a turn. Is there much danger in cooking pads? Assume brake fluid is not going to be a problem.

Thanks

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
From an engineering standpoint, the factory 2013/14 front brakes are about as good as you can get - for a car this heavy and this fast you need heavy brakes to keep the peak temperatures from getting too high, and the factory 15" Brembo's do that. Depending on the tracks you're running though, you can get by with less. I don't expect to go faster than about 150 MPH, so I downgraded to a 15" Stoptech kit so I had a better range of brake pads to choose from at reasonable prices. If I was going to go faster than that, though, I'd put the OEM brakes back on with FRPP 2-piece rotors and run PAGID RS racing pads that cost $500 to $600 a set.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Brake fluid, Pads, Rotors and brake cooling ducts...

Search the web site and you will find lots of opinions.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Hi,

I would try get some TI shims for the back of the pads, new fluid before the event Motul RBF 660 or 600, SS brake lines and some Carbotech brake pads.

Manuel

Van@RevanRacing

Just curious, what's the best brake upgrade (and maybe a couple of in-betweens) for the 2014 gt500, for heavy track duty? I'm looking to learn what the most capable system is, regardless of whether it's needed. For me, the most important mod would be making sure you never lose brakes coming fast into a turn. Is there much danger in cooking pads? Assume brake fluid is not going to be a problem.

Thanks

I open track my 14 and run Time Trial with it as well. I abuse the OEM Brake system.

Hawk DTC 60 Front Brake Pads / OEM is fine in the rear initially but can also be upgraded to DTC 60 in the future as well
Revan Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Brembo LCF 600 Brake Fluid

The car will perform nicely with this set up. I turned a 2:28 in my 2013 GT500 in Time Trial last year at Sebring if that tells you anything about how I use the brakes.

Van

GT500Meister

Just out of curiosity what oil temp are you running on the track? I tracked my 2014 with SVT track pack at Road America this summer and the oil temp is deep into the yellow bordering on red according to the gauge after just 4 laps. My car is completely stock.

victorc

Established Member
Just out of curiosity what oil temp are you running on the track? I tracked my 2014 with SVT track pack at Road America this summer and the oil temp is deep into the yellow bordering on red according to the gauge after just 4 laps. My car is completely stock.

Hey, I just answered in your other thread... dunno man, check for big bugs or leaves or something in the grill, I get to about 120-130 and sebring has good straigths, not in the yellow, but I let off the accelerator pretty early. I also keep the hood up between runs, but I don't think that matters much once driving again. I'll check again this weekend :burnout:

SteveWK

Established Member
My only experience has been at Hallett, and from the feedback on the forum, Hallett is very hard on brakes. I have never had any brake problems using DOT 4 Brembo and DTC 60 brake pads.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread