Track Racing Tires/Brake Pad Wear and Upgrades

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
Looking for some suggestions on tires and brake pad wear and upgrades for the 2013 Shelby GT500. Have lots of experience road racing cars and motorcycles, but nothing near as heavy or with as much HP as my soon to arrive GT500. Anyone already track their new Shelby and replaced brake pads or tires? How long did the stock tires and brake pads last? What did you replace them with? Do you have a separate set of wheels and tires for track use? Thanks for any suggestions or insight.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I am by no means an expert in this area, but every time my car club rents out a road course to play on, I need new brake pads by the time I get home (if not sooner). Now this has not been in the new Shelby (the last time I went was in my 03 Cobra) but from the reviews of the GT500 brake fade, I suspect the results will be the same. If I take my GT500 to a road course sometime in the future, it will definitely be on a different set of wheels/tires and I will have new pads ready to install afterwords.

Van@RevanRacing

Looking for some suggestions on tires and brake pad wear and upgrades for the 2013 Shelby GT500. Have lots of experience road racing cars and motorcycles, but nothing near as heavy or with as much HP as my soon to arrive GT500. Anyone already track their new Shelby and replaced brake pads or tires? How long did the stock tires and brake pads last? What did you replace them with? Do you have a separate set of wheels and tires for track use? Thanks for any suggestions or insight.

I've done 2 track days in my 2013 GT500 and all I did was replace the brake fluid. I am an instructor and I drive in NASA Time Trial. I am working on brake pads for open track. Making sure the pad dimensions are correct for the new 6 piston brake as they are similar to previous Brembo 6 Piston Designs. The stock tires are holding up well and the car performs really well with just a tune and brake fluid for a first track day. Just monitor tire pressure. Depending on the track and the way the surface is cut you should get some good life out of the OEM tires.

On my other car I use Forgeline rims and Hoosier R6 tires.

Van

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
I've done 2 track days in my 2013 GT500 and all I did was replace the brake fluid. I am an instructor and I drive in NASA Time Trial. I am working on brake pads for open track. Making sure the pad dimensions are correct for the new 6 piston brake as they are similar to previous Brembo 6 Piston Designs. The stock tires are holding up well and the car performs really well with just a tune and brake fluid for a first track day. Just monitor tire pressure. Depending on the track and the way the surface is cut you should get some good life out of the OEM tires.

On my other car I use Forgeline rims and Hoosier R6 tires.

Van

Thanks Van, I'm sure I will eventually use the R6 or similar but want to get used to the tracking car on stock tires first for obvious reasons (which I'm sure your very familiar with as an instructor, ha). The primary track I will be on is AMP north of Atlanta, pretty new and not all that rough on tires. Keep me updated on the pads, I'd be interested in purchasing a few once you get them dialed in. 2 other questions, what hot/cold temps are you running the stock tires on? What brake fluid did you use? I'm assuming Ford Super Dot 4 will work, and did you change it before the first track day (not sure what this thing comes with from the factory)? Thanks.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Making sure the pad dimensions are correct for the new 6 piston brake as they are similar to previous Brembo 6 Piston Designs.Van
Van
Does the 2013 GT500 caliper take the same pads as the 2012 ZL1 calipers? I have been trying to locate a set of ceramic pads for the 2013 and haven't had any luck.
This is for street use only, I am trying to cut down on the excessive dust.

Van@RevanRacing

Van
Does the 2013 GT500 caliper take the same pads as the 2012 ZL1 calipers? I have been trying to locate a set of ceramic pads for the 2013 and haven't had any luck.
This is for street use only, I am trying to cut down on the excessive dust.

Supposedly we use the same pad as the ZL1. I am working on a set and checking.

Van

Users who are viewing this thread