Track times? I'm pissed

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
In your place I wouldn't throw more parts at the ET Chase. I'd do the tune and try and get your combination to run near where it should before you add parts. A good tuner on a dyno can easily spot an area that isn't performing up to snuff so if parts are required you will know what you need.

SvTDsG

Unported!
Established Member
Street time and Strip time, are way different! Like said above practice practice practice! When my car was stock on the factory goodyears I went 8.3x@87, then cat-back-shifter-drag radials 7.9x@90, then pulley-intake-o/r x-tune-slicks-IRS, 7.3x@96, then SRA 7.1x@98. All unported and whole lot of seat time. Get your tune checked and get some more seat time, don't beat your self up.

zeusha

Established Member
Ok, update. Found "A" problem, sure is more of them now :( how do I fix this if anyone knows or what could be wrong. I was just tuning up the car getting it ready for Dyno tune (finally lol) and 2 of my cylinder head spark plugs were FILLED with oil up to the boot almost submerging the plug. Do I have a serious problem here? 2 on driver side head. Oh and went with NGK TR6 Iridium plugs Thanks Timspony

Last edited:

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
Ok, update. Found "A" problem, sure is more of them now :( how do I fix this if anyone knows or what could be wrong. I was just tuning up the car getting it ready for Dyno tune (finally lol) and 2 of my cylinder head spark plugs were FILLED with oil up to the boot almost submerging the plug. Do I have a serious problem here? 2 on driver side head. Oh and went with NGK TR6 Iridium plugs Thanks Timspony

I wonder if it could be a valve cover gasket? Do you see any oil/feel anything on the underside of the valve covers..Smell anything burning?

zeusha

Established Member
I wonder if it could be a valve cover gasket? Do you see any oil/feel anything on the underside of the valve covers..Smell anything burning?
Never smelled anything funny, should I remove the Valve covers. No leaks at all with the car anywhere. Stored in dry heated garage would see ANY leaks.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Have the valve covers ever been off? Plugs could have easily backed out, but I would think that the oil would have a chance to drain back into the cylinder. I would suggest finding out why the oil was there before going crazy with anything else.

zeusha

Established Member
Have the valve covers ever been off? Plugs could have easily backed out, but I would think that the oil would have a chance to drain back into the cylinder. I would suggest finding out why the oil was there before going crazy with anything else.
Cant tell if they ever been off before. I havent taken them off thats for sure. I was thinking maybe a breather kit and oil seperator?

KaotikGT

Established Member
My girlfriend's x5 had the same problem. Probably just change your valve cover gaskets and you should be OK. I was a little pissed at the track other night too, ran a 8.32 @ 93mph but my IC pump is going bad so it was pulling timing and I lost about 3.5psi of boost. Good luck

zeusha

Established Member
My girlfriend's x5 had the same problem. Probably just change your valve cover gaskets and you should be OK. I was a little pissed at the track other night too, ran a 8.32 @ 93mph but my IC pump is going bad so it was pulling timing and I lost about 3.5psi of boost. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up. What are your mods if you dont mind my asking?

Ace5Oh

Established Member
Hope you get your issue resolved.

I ran a 8.1 @ Mid high 80's don't remember it exactly I'll look for the slip.

Jlt Rai, n magnaflow cb. That's it well n mt dr's.

KaotikGT

Established Member
Smaller pulley, not sure of the size. Steeda cai, borla exhaust, 2 cats removed, pro 5.0 shifter, and a tune. That's all I know of I was on 315-35-17 nitto street tires with 35lb.

zeusha

Established Member
Smaller pulley, not sure of the size. Steeda cai, borla exhaust, 2 cats removed, pro 5.0 shifter, and a tune. That's all I know of I was on 315-35-17 nitto street tires with 35lb.
Thats not bad at all, thats what I was thinking these things run. Sad day at the track bro lol. Glad yours is running good.

Hope you get your issue resolved.

I ran a 8.1 @ Mid high 80's don't remember it exactly I'll look for the slip.

Jlt Rai, n magnaflow cb. That's it well n mt dr's.
Thanks man. The more I hear these times the better I feel, was getting worried for a minute that going back to the blue oval even in the Cobra was not worth it. I KNOW these cars are strong, gonna get mine working right. My Camaro still CRUSHES my Cobra but im working on it lol. In the end I want the Cobra to be on even playing ground with less of the Dragster feel.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I have to agree it's probably the gaskets and plug well seals.

I have new gaskets and plug well seals for my car that I'm not going to use. PM me if you are interested in them. I bought them from Tousley a few months ago for a valve cover paint job I was going to do.

BTW this is the perfect time to get the covers painted or powder coated.

Ralo

Established Member
I've been to the 1/8th once and was dissappoint but the problem was in my 60ft. I'll be going to a 1/4 soon andI hope to get out of the hole better.

zeusha

Established Member
I have to agree it's probably the gaskets and plug well seals.

I have new gaskets and plug well seals for my car that I'm not going to use. PM me if you are interested in them. I bought them from Tousley a few months ago for a valve cover paint job I was going to do.

BTW this is the perfect time to get the covers painted or powder coated.
The Gasket and Plug seals under the Coil Covers look good. Is there something I should look for to see if are bad?

I've been to the 1/8th once and was dissappoint but the problem was in my 60ft. I'll be going to a 1/4 soon andI hope to get out of the hole better.
let me know how your 1/4 does apposed to the 8th. The 1/4 track is an hour and a half away from me the 1/8th is only 20min and they have a huge car show every Wed where people run, but the track is all beat to shit with all the leaky cars running but is fun to show what you can do infront of hundreds every week, but sucks when your running like shit. EVERYONE hears about it around here ya know.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
8.80's? even 8.40's no offense are pretty weak times! ran 8.60's back in the day in my 89GT NA with just bolt ons, with a 150 shot 7.80's which was still less than 400RW..
your trap speed should be 90 or above..I don't see altitiude being an issue in NY..

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
The Gasket and Plug seals under the Coil Covers look good. Is there something I should look for to see if are bad?

The seals we are talking about are not under the coil cover. Those aren't exposed to an oil source anyway so they wouldn't cause your problem.

The seals we are talking about are in the spark plug well. They go at the bottom of the valve cover where the spark plug well meets the head. If they are leaking they will cause oil in the spark plug wells. This is most likely what is wrong.

I have these seals (plug well seals) and valve cover seals (around the outside edges). The covers have to be pulled to replace them and you might as well do both while its apart.

zeusha

Established Member
66DF1DB7-20AB-4457-8650-098D544F48A8-26513-00001806AE67E147.jpg
This is what it looked like

Last edited:

zeusha

Established Member
After changing spark plugs and oil, ran at track last night still bad for my car but got to CRUSH some exotics. Best run yesterday for me was 8.32@93mph .222 60foot time.
6B8B47C8-764F-4EC9-BF26-F2490E1CE163-26513-00001806B6FF2ADD.jpg
Crushed the R8 he ran best 8.6 I edged him out at 8.4

Users who are viewing this thread