Track times? I'm pissed

zeusha

Established Member
Ok so took the car up to local track is an 8th mile with my mods best click was 8.85? Mods are ported blower, 3.0 pulley, steeda idler, K&N fpk, and SCT performance tune. No way should be running these numbers something gotta be wrong?

Ironhand

Banned
It takes time and practice to get the cars to ET to what people think they should.

Sticky tires with a custom tune would help.

Also these cars sweet spot is 3rd and 4th gear and that is where they really come alive.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
What did you time slip look like? 60 foot time, mph, etc etc?

You're car seems pretty stock, what were you expecting for a time?

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Need more info to help you out!!!! ....with a 8.85, I'm thinking there's A LOT of spinning going on!! Tires are the key!!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Car doesn't magically perform at the track. Like everyone else said, we need the breakdown of the time slip and atleast what tires you were on. Do you have any drag strip driving experience?

zeusha

Established Member
Good strip experience mostly a streeter. First time out with the Cobra. I threw out the time slip was pissed. Dont remember the 60 foot time but trap speed was 84mph. Tires MT ET streets. Launched at 2200rpm didnt really warm up tires 1st gear spun a lil 2nd hooked right up I was thinking should have pulled at least a mid to low 8?

zeusha

Established Member
Ok, What are some advice to getting me at a high 7 from where I am now? Just a shot of spray or do I have what I need now and just needs a few small things? (Mafia, PPRV Delete, ect)

DE07GT

Established Member
You at least need a custom tune. My first time at the track ever in any car I ran an 8.4@90 on street tires with just a pullied car. Did you let it idle in staging with the hood closed for a period of time? If it was hot outside it could of been pulling timing.

zeusha

Established Member
You at least need a custom tune. My first time at the track ever in any car I ran an 8.4@90 on street tires with just a pullied car. Did you let it idle in staging with the hood closed for a period of time? If it was hot outside it could of been pulling timing.
Staging lane was long as friggin train smoke so was a started 10min wait probally idling. But thats what im saying with just a Pullied car running 8.4@ 90mph is about right. Dont get me wrong mine is a Vert but not sure matters THAT much. With a pullied ported blower something is wrong ... :fm:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Good strip experience mostly a streeter. First time out with the Cobra. I threw out the time slip was pissed. Dont remember the 60 foot time but trap speed was 84mph. Tires MT ET streets. Launched at 2200rpm didnt really warm up tires 1st gear spun a lil 2nd hooked right up I was thinking should have pulled at least a mid to low 8?

Something is way off. Even with it being a vert, the 84mph is way low. Hell, I saw 89 in the 1/8th with a JLT intake and a Bassani catback on regular radials........full weight. ET was probably around 8.50-8.60 or so on that pass.
You shouldn't be spinning on those tires at 2200. You should definitely be lower 8's and into the 7's in the 1/8th with your car and the mods. Cooling these cars down makes a difference too. Don't get too mad as it takes a little bit of time to get used to drag racing these cars.

DE07GT

Established Member
Staging lane was long as friggin train smoke so was a started 10min wait probally idling. But thats what im saying with just a Pullied car running 8.4@ 90mph is about right. Dont get me wrong mine is a Vert but not sure matters THAT much. With a pullied ported blower something is wrong ... :fm:

Even an 8.4 is pretty slow on sticky tires. On ET streets, it was around 8.0 at 91-92 babying it out of the hole. I should be able to hit high 7s just leaving a little harder or in better weather than the 90 degree day I went. I usually try to be at the front of staging, but I like to bring a friend that can open and close the hood to help keep temps down.
With 20 lbs in my ET streets, I only need to barely spin them to clean them off, and they don't spin on the track.

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
seat time will chip ET down, but your trap speed does seem low... I trapped 88 with a stock eaton, get sticky tires and a custom tune and report back. :thumbsup:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
With a Ported Eaton you should be in the 7's now in the 8th .... What TP did you set the MT's at?? I'm thinking 17psi (or lower)

I'm currently at 7.16 in the 1/8th at at best of 101.22 mph with a POSI Ported Eaton ... Might also be a tune issue?! What pluds & gap??

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
He's rocking a canned tune, with a 3 inch upper on an eaton, with stock exhaust? That isn't what I would call a recipe for fast times. I would be surprised if it was making more than 430whp with that strange mod list..

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

no a vert shouldn't matter that much. my upper only unported eaton vert ran 7.75 at 95.46 and only 60ft'd 1.976 on bald 275/40 nittos. car weighed 3950 with me in it. but the weather was a lot better than what you ran in, plus I always push the car through the line as far as I can before the burnout. 10 min idle before the burnout is not a good idea in any car, much less these s/c iron blocks

zeusha

Established Member
Even an 8.4 is pretty slow on sticky tires. On ET streets, it was around 8.0 at 91-92 babying it out of the hole. I should be able to hit high 7s just leaving a little harder or in better weather than the 90 degree day I went. I usually try to be at the front of staging, but I like to bring a friend that can open and close the hood to help keep temps down.
With 20 lbs in my ET streets, I only need to barely spin them to clean them off, and they don't spin on the track.
Gotcha, gonna do what I can to keep the temps down but I was just appauled. Raced an Audi R8 too so was gonna be a damn nice looking run till it happened.

seat time will chip ET down, but your trap speed does seem low... I trapped 88 with a stock eaton, get sticky tires and a custom tune and report back. :thumbsup:
2nd gear seems to hesitate with the power for some reason, slouched on me.

Heck you have a ported blower and still running that big of a pulley? Throw some more boost in there.
Was thinking about it but not sure when I would have to start replacing stuff lol. Heard that pegging the MAF and Pumps is pretty easy at this point.

Add a 6# lower.
On next mod list

With a Ported Eaton you should be in the 7's now in the 8th .... What TP did you set the MT's at?? I'm thinking 17psi (or lower)

I'm currently at 7.16 in the 1/8th at at best of 101.22 mph with a POSI Ported Eaton ... Might also be a tune issue?! What pluds & gap??
Tires were at 35lbs was on the eway with the car for about 45min so wanted to keep good air in em. The plugs are the stock ones the car came with.

He's rocking a canned tune, with a 3 inch upper on an eaton, with stock exhaust? That isn't what I would call a recipe for fast times. I would be surprised if it was making more than 430whp with that strange mod list..
That sucks, gonna go after tune this weekend if I can get in everyone booked up with season at full swing

no a vert shouldn't matter that much. my upper only unported eaton vert ran 7.75 at 95.46 and only 60ft'd 1.976 on bald 275/40 nittos. car weighed 3950 with me in it. but the weather was a lot better than what you ran in, plus I always push the car through the line as far as I can before the burnout. 10 min idle before the burnout is not a good idea in any car, much less these s/c iron blocks
I wish I could have a person good behind the wheel run this thing for me with me in it just to see how to do this car. Been on the 4L80E so long in the LS1 car im thinking I forgot how to race lol.

Something is way off. Even with it being a vert, the 84mph is way low. Hell, I saw 89 in the 1/8th with a JLT intake and a Bassani catback on regular radials........full weight. ET was probably around 8.50-8.60 or so on that pass.
You shouldn't be spinning on those tires at 2200. You should definitely be lower 8's and into the 7's in the 1/8th with your car and the mods. Cooling these cars down makes a difference too. Don't get too mad as it takes a little bit of time to get used to drag racing these cars.
I wanna go out there all the time and practice but thats just embarassing lol. Gonna practice on this backstreet we all run on. Long as hell no traffic.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Don't worry about being embarassed. My first day at the track with my '03 started with a 13.80 pass. Ended the day with a 12.80. That was with the 88-89 in the 1/8th setup. I had a good bit of drag racing experience, just not with the Cobra. I ran probably 10 times that day. Practice, practice and more practice. It will come.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Get some NGK TR-6 plug's and gap them to 0.032" to 0.035" .... at the track, DROP those TP's to around 17psi!!!!!! :D ....Do a nice little burn-out and come out at 2k & go from there!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread