Track with a centrifugal?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I helped build my buddies D1 procharged Mach 1, and we're planning on taking it down to the track soon.
Is there any cooling techniques that you use on centris pre run? I'm used to water to air ice down. But air to air, is there anything you can do? Or just let the motor cool for awhile and rip it?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
just let the whole thing cool down. Id have to imagine its blow through so looking at your IATs would tell you where your air temps are.

J.Shoot

Established Member
We would carry a bag (heavy material) to put ice in and help cool the SC itself. Just be careful not to get your belt wet. We would also carry a portable fan to circulate air on the motor and intercooler.
Good luck....

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
The ice may sound like a good idea but the bag is going to sweat and I guarantee you it drag water on the starting line with you as it will leak down. The fans are your best bet, as mentioned above one in front of the IC and one on the blower while in the pits. Once in the staging lanes only crank car to move it forward, dont sit there idling in the staging lanes, your IATs will soar and the car will more than likely pull timing if you do this for to long.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Well thanks for the advice guys. Made it to the track, we were the next car into the water box and the clutch cable snapped... talk about bad luck. Had to go get a truck and trailer to bring her back home

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Well thanks for the advice guys. Made it to the track, we were the next car into the water box and the clutch cable snapped... talk about bad luck. Had to go get a truck and trailer to bring her back home
That happened to me before many years ago in my 89GT,

01SilverGt

Established Member
I helped build my buddies D1 procharged Mach 1, and we're planning on taking it down to the track soon.
Is there any cooling techniques that you use on centris pre run? I'm used to water to air ice down. But air to air, is there anything you can do? Or just let the motor cool for awhile and rip it?
I hAve the same problem. It's a d1sc with 3 core intercooler. Works awesome on the street keeping iats low but at the track it rising over 100 after burn out. You should consider a methanol system that's my plan atleast. Dual nozzle small shot right into the head unit then one in intake
Tube will give you consistent power.

robert presti

Established Member
Try using CO2 to spray/cool the intercooler down. Cheaper than juice and gets very cold. Can get bottles anywhere that sells/rents beer kegs.
This is a good thought. Heat comes from compressing air, and when done in reverse (high pressure to low) it should cool. Don't know that it would do what nitrous does as far as effectiveness in super cooling though it sounds like a good cheap alternative. I liked the MIGHTY CAR MODS clip where they sprayed the air to air inner cooler with water (or Meth) to gain in evaporative cooling which would be better than just a static air exchange. I doubt most tracks would let you just spray something that will wind up on the track though.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Try using CO2 to spray/cool the intercooler down. Cheaper than juice and gets very cold. Can get bottles anywhere that sells/rents beer kegs.

This will freeze your hands big time - wear gloves if you do it. It should work though. But I wouldn't put the nozzle up against the metal or rubber surfaces - give it some room. CO2 is pretty cheap.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Back when I worked at a Mitsubishi dealer and the EVO first came out it had sprayers that sprayed liquid of your choice on the intercooler automatically. We usually filled the tanks with water and clear alcohol based washer fluid.

CO2 gets extremely cold when discharged from a pressure tank. You should wear gloves when doing that since you can freeze your fingers to the tank and you don't want to accidentally spray your fingers. If I remember correctly the gas can hit -150 degrees F depending on flow rate.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I hAve the same problem. It's a d1sc with 3 core intercooler. Works awesome on the street keeping iats low but at the track it rising over 100 after burn out. You should consider a methanol system that's my plan atleast. Dual nozzle small shot right into the head unit then one in intake
Tube will give you consistent power.
The meth kit is in the works right now. It seems like the way To go for a centri car. That's a good point, i never thought about the blower heat during the burnout. Is there an advantage to spraying into the blower? I was going to put the nozzle right before the throttle body

01SilverGt

Established Member
It would be a small shot into the snail to cool down the blower and air charge. You main nozzle before the throttle
Body is going to also cool down the engine but more importantly you octane will be around 105 I believe allowing you to run more timing up to 20 degrees I've heard.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
It would be a small shot into the snail to cool down the blower and air charge. You main nozzle before the throttle
Body is going to also cool down the engine but more importantly you octane will be around 105 I believe allowing you to run more timing up to 20 degrees I've heard.
What pulley/boost are you running? We're about to run a 2.8 upper stock lower and shoot for 20#'s!

Users who are viewing this thread