Traction Control

Do you normally drive with traction control on or off (on dry roads)?

• On

Votes: 67 22.3%
  • Off

Votes: 233 77.7%

• Total voters

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
Cobra-R, I may be in Eagle River Wisconson fishing the week of July 4th. Maybe the T/C is not over sensitive on all of these Cobras, and could be adjusted? The older Cobras did not pack the torque to spin the tires like these '03s, and maybe the T/C was not modified accordingly.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Now that you mention that, hmmm. Most of my experience with t/c has been with my stock engine 01, I only have 200 miles on the 03 (bought in november), so I may have been talking out of my a$$ all along. :( I will play around with it tomorrow, got a svtoa meeting 60 miles away so I got a reason to drive it now. :D

Eagle river is about 6-7 hrs away. If you by chance happen to be coming up I35 into Minnesota, you will be pretty close. Let me know if you are coming that way, it would be cool to give you a Minnesota hangover. :beer:

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
Sounds like fun, but I would be chauffering my old parents to see some relatives. No time for detours. I need to call Ford or SVT and see if something can be done to desensitize the T/C instead of continuing to bitch about it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Frankly I'm surprised that so many people drive with TC on. It is an absolute safety hazard in my opinion. Try accelerating onto a highway and slip a bit. The TC system will cause a momentary major (and potentially deadly) total loss of power -- while cars and trucks are barrelling down on you. It happened to me once and I've never used TC again. It's a very poor system in my opinion.
:rolleyes:

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
I think we should get a petition to the NHTSA, like they did on the stall. This bogus POS is going to get someone hurt or killed.

ONEJETI

Established Member
ALLWAYS OFF

WITH MODS AND THE TC LEFT ON .....THE CAR BUCKS SO BAD YOU WOULD SWEAR ITS GONNA TWIST THE IMPUT SHAFT OFF.....THE ONLY TIME THE TC NEEDS TO BE ON IS IF SOME ONE IS TRYING TO STEAL THE CAR...IT MAKES A GREAT ANTI THEFT DEVICE....CAR WONT GET OUT OF ITS OWN WAY SO YOU CAN WALK UP AND BITCH SLAP THEM FOR TRYING TO STEAL IT..

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
When I first got the car, I couldn't be bothered to remember. After nearly getting run over by a semi on a freeway onramp because my tires gave a squeal in 2nd, I now remember to turn it off, EVERY TIME.

~Berj

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
I have an idea. Why not wait until there's a large enough opening in traffic that you dont have to lay down rubber to turn into the oncomming cars. Then it wouldn't really matter if your car bogs or not. If you're turning in front of close oncomming cars, just because you have a 400hp car and think you can accelerate out of danger, you're taking an unneccessary risk and bringing the danger on yourself, aren't you?

There is no reason you should turn into traffic with any less of a safe space in this car than you would turn into traffic if you WERE driving a Yugo for precicely the reason that your car may bog or die. This was taught to me as a child well before traction control existed on high performance cars. The safe distance to turn into traffic or turn in front of oncoming traffic is calculated by the oncoming traffics speed and braking distance if your car should stall and stop in front of them. That's basic driving 101. Traction control or 400hp cars should not change any of this. If you almost got killed by your car bogging and not being able to acclerate up to its potential, then you made a driving mistake that put you into a position where you needed your cars extraordinary abilities to make up for your bad driving.

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Originally posted by slick4_6
If I do a 2nd gear drop from 50 my T/C steps in. It sucks.

If your T/C kicks in when you drop to 2nd from 50, you're not downshifting properly. Double clutch.

~Berj

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Traction control damn near cost me the Cobra a few weeks ago. I was pulling out into traffic and hit a little gravel. The car woulde not give me any power and right before I got creamed it kicked in. It's kind of dangerous if you ask me. Be careful pulling out into traffic with it on.

SonicBlue03

Established Member
Better yet, instead of having Ford fix the traction control, I think I'm going to put a 90 hp 4 banger in my car. Then I'll never have to worry about spinning the tires.

Several other car mfgs. have very good TC systems, no reason Ford can't get on the wagon, except maybe patent problems.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I always drive with mine on. I live in the mountains and there is a lost of curves. I want it to be there in case my foot gets a little too heavy in a turn. The only time I turn mine off is if I wanting to add a little rubber flavored cologne to the cockpit:burnout:

cobra101

Established Member
I used to turn it off always..

I leave it on now. Ever since my nitto DR's they do not break loose. therefore I don't have the need to turn it off. VERY VERY rare that tc will engage since the tires. before I had to turn it off every startup.

davidmax

Established Member
It put me into a wall at 5mph as I was downshifting on what you call grey dirt or snow on a 10 mph downshift back tires came around on a 50 degree day and whack,Dave Smilovic

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
What deos the traction control actually do, ie how does it work?

Users who are viewing this thread