Trade 04 Cobra for 15 Ecoboost?

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I have been thinking about this for quite some time. Anyone else? Selling an 04 Cobra for a '15 ecoboost? I thought about it and it doesn't seem terrible. Sure you lose having an SVT, but I feel like the potential of the Ecoboost will be great, and the car is far more luxurious and gets way better gas mileage. Also owning a BMW 335 I see how easy it is to tune a car and make way more power without having to get your hands dirty so I can only imagine how easy it'll be to tune the ecoboost once they start making tunes for it. What do you guys think? Would you do it?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would wait a couple years and see what the tuning potential of these ecoboost mustangs is. Personally, I would keep the cobra or trade in for a GT/SVT.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I think yes but wait a year or two and see what they are capable of. The 2.3 is still new to the aftermarket world and will take some time before you see real world results.

If they can get them into the 350whp range at under 3200lbs, it would be a very impressive machine.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I think yes but wait a year or two and see what they are capable of. The 2.3 is still new to the aftermarket world and will take some time before you see real world results.

If they can get them into the 350whp range at under 3200lbs, it would be a very impressive machine.

This. I don't see them getting under 3200lbs though without losing most of the creature comforts.

dom418

Established Member
No no and no. Maybe for the 15 5.0 and that's only if the car is a daily driver. The creature comforts are nice to have.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I wouldn't but it would be interesting to see what kind of performance they get out of it

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id say go for it if you like the new mustangs.

Judging just by the aftermarket for the ST cars, theres no ****ing way the 2.3L EB WONT have a insane aftermarket (rivaling that of evo/subies/srts/etc), especially considering its price point and how many units will be produced. Everyone that can afford a $300/mo payment out of HS will grab them up like they did with srt4's and dsm's back in the day.

I see alot of guys putting down 350ish with boltons+tune on stock turbo and fuel system, and easy low 400's with turbo swap and fuel upgrades. AFIAK they arent going direct injection right off the bat so that will help in getting the tuner base going.

Of course there will be people that think you need da 5.oh to have any fun factor.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I am more interested in the 15 f150.
The screw weighs as much as the hellcat.

Single cab 5.0 or eb ftw

nxhappy

Established Member
trade in for 14 GT500

seriously tho don't be a ****** lol

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Would I do it? Probably not.

Take one for a test drive and see how it feels.

See if the 15 fits your wants better than a 04 Cobra.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
while i find it interesting, something about a mustang sans V8 sitting in MY driveway is iffy. im glad theyre offering it for those that want it. moreso than the V6 even, but for my dollars, id want the V8 sound. for me anyways. although i am curious to see what they do. maybe my mind will change. i already have a V8 mustang in the garage so something different wouldnt be bad...lol

as for trading the cobra for one. are you tired of the cobra? if not, id wait to see how they do. can they hold up to adding lots of power. will the trans take it? the motor? etc... it will probably need 100hp boost to make it worthwhile. and even then it will it compare to a pullied cobra?? 400hp at the crank vs 470 at the wheels. weighing almost the same. (100+ to cobra coupe).

but then you have an all new chassis and car. muuuuuch more refined and DDable.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
for you experienced turbo guys, what do you think this car will put down stock and what do you think it will put down with some basic mods?

Mach828

Established Member
Looks like you have two cobras. So yes, do it.

Anyone who wants to buy a 15 with the intention of making big power, should buy the 5.0 and boost it. The ecoboost is for someone who wants a lighter car, good power, plans to maybe do a few basic mods, get good gas mileage, and daily drive it. It will shine on the road course too.

Last edited:

WolfPackST

Banned
You know what you should do? You go buy a brand new, Yellow V6 Mustang. Hell, you should even make it a convertible! Then you can drive around with the top down blasting ke$ha

Keep your Cobra, paint it black.

Users who are viewing this thread