Trail cam for cabin security

Established Member
I have property with no power that I still would like to have some form of security on. I have been using a few primos DPS trail cams that run on 8 AA batteries and 32 SD cards. One has died, so I'm looking at options to replace it. Some of the no glow infrared cams seem interesting, as the intruders wouldn't know they are being captured, but get quite pricy. My biggest problem is that I sometimes don't get to the property for a month or 2 at times. I do have battery powered motion sensing lights on both buildings. Any suggestions?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
You can get solar powered trail cameras. But, if you're willing to spend some money you can get one of those solar powered setups to tend RV batteries. That might allow you to run a few small things for extended periods without having to change batteries or whatever.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You can get solar powered trail cameras. But, if you're willing to spend some money you can get one of those solar powered setups to tend RV batteries. That might allow you to run a few small things for extended periods without having to change batteries or whatever.

I have worked one of those solar powered/ battery setups at my inlaws ranch, they have them for the motorized gates on the lower pasture. They work quite well and are very low maintenance. The batteries last quite a while, like 2-3 years. I imagine they'd last longer if they weren't powering a gate opener to open/close gates weighing a few hundred pounds.

Established Member
I need to stay stealth with the camera that I buy to replace the one that has failed, and am hoping to find one at a reasonable price with long lasting capabilities. Camera is the first order of business. I will look into the solar setup so I have some on demand power there without firing the generator. Thanks for the tip there. I could use it to run trickle chargers for my equipment .

Users who are viewing this thread