Training with MARsoc

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just thought I'd post up about the 2 week training exercise I'm getting to take part of that's ran by MARsoc. It's training for them to work with different military entities but we get the benefit of getting to do all the crazy high speed stuff they do.

I just got here yesterday but they immediately got us started on fast raping from a tower so we'll be ready for today which is roping out of birds. Along with that we're going to be spy-rigging tonight which I'm incredibly excited for! If this is what we're doing after two days I can't wait for the next 12 days. By the end if this evolution we're going to be flying cross state to do a mock-raid which includes fast roping onto a roof and clearing out the structure and then taking down the town building by building after.

After just a day and a half I'm seriously considering putting in a packet for A&S. Probably the hardest thing ill ever do but the operators within MARsoc are some of the coolest, most down to earth guys you'll ever meet.

There's no cameras or phones allowed but we're going to see if at any point we can get some pictures in which ill post them up. If anyone has any questions about MARsoc post them up and ill answer what I can since we've been answering questions non-stop or ill pass it on to see if I can get it answered.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
thats very cool man, good luck with the training and lets us know about your experiences once everything is over with. I don't have any set questions right now really. Whats your MOS? Btw, 03xx?

jliddle

Established Member
That's awesome. I plan on trying out for Recon when I get to SOI.

I do have a question about MARSOC... They are a different group from Recon correct? You go thru Recon then could indoc to MARSOC?

boduke0220

Established Member
Pretty sure MARSOC is recon...and those guys are some badass dudes,[sarcasm] hell the regular 03xx's are like army SF[/sarcasm] lol..i can wait for SOI!

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
hell the regular 03xx's are like army SF lol

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Pretty sure MARSOC is recon...and those guys are some badass dudes, hell the regular 03xx's are like army SF lol..i can wait for SOI!

:dw:

I really hope there was not an ounce of seriousness in that first statement. Otherwise that would be the second most ignorant military related statement I have heard so far this year.

0311=11B and nothing more. Can't hold a candle to any 18 series.

boduke0220

Established Member
:dw:

I really hope there was not an ounce of seriousness in that first statement. Otherwise that would be the second most ignorant military related statement I have heard so far this year.

0311=11B and nothing more. Can't hold a candle to any 18 series.

it wasnt, i said it cause someone on here used to say it all the time lol

edit,it was either here or leatherneck i cant remember

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
thats very cool man, good luck with the training and lets us know about your experiences once everything is over with. I don't have any set questions right now really. Whats your MOS? Btw, 03xx?

I'm an 0311 in Security Forces with a secondary mos of 8154 which is a CQB shooter. I'm a part of RTT there which is a wannabe sf group haha. But in reality a lot of our guys that come out of here end up trying out and making it into MARsoc so they're trying to further that bond with us because we already have many of the tools they need like clearances, shooting packages, etc.

That's awesome. I plan on trying out for Recon when I get to SOI.

I do have a question about MARSOC... They are a different group from Recon correct? You go thru Recon then could indoc to MARSOC?

MARsoc was formed by splitting of part of Force Recon back in 07. My lead mentor here was one of those guys that got pulled from Force and grandfathered into MARsoc. As of now they are not Recon and never really were. They were just made up from guys that were going to go through BRC but got pulled to go through MARsoc A&S or they were already in Recon. But MARsoc has its own set of schools available to it that are superior to many other sf.

Pretty sure MARSOC is recon...and those guys are some badass dudes,[sarcasm] hell the regular 03xx's are like army SF[/sarcasm] lol..i can wait for SOI!

Funny you say that cause were actually out there today with Army sf who was doing fast roping with us and it honestly looked like it was their first time. Not taking anything away from them cause I'm sure they're badass but they were doing everything we were told not to when coming down.

Sounds like a great time man.
Post some pics for sure.

They told us today we could take some pictures, but it kind of sucks cause nobody brought their phones and all day today we were jumping out of birds and spy-rigging. We should be doing it again sometime though.

That's what I'm talking about, lol.

-Eric

Haha, I'm typing all this from my phone so it the autocorrect got me on that one.:lol1:

i wanna join marsoc but i suck at swimming. how's the swimming?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We won't be doing any swimming in this evolution, but In that environment you learn that stuff quick! Many of the guys that go into Recon and MARsoc aren't that great of swimmers but the stuff they put you through is so extreme that they have to work you up to it because it's way out of the comfort level of what your average good swimmer will ever experience. They'll make you a good swimmer because everyone has the ability to be a great swimmer, so much of it is just mental.

Aside from all that, today was freakin cool. Roped out of the birds day and night along with the spy-rigging which is cool cause you're flying around hundreds of feet in the air just dangling, but the excitement fades pretty quick when your nuts are getting pinched in the harness. It would be like someone kicking you in the nuts right before you got on a roller-coaster, so It's bitter-sweet to say the least. But tomorrow we have vehicle take downs which we'll probably be doing from the ground and from helo. Should be good.

jliddle

Established Member
That sounds awesome! I have my second meeting with the recruiter this morning. Ill be sure to ask when the soonest I can put in for MARSOC is.

I know Recon recruiters come to SOI, and allow you to try out. Is it the same for MARSOC?
I believe I read somewhere that MARSOC prefers you to have some experience before putting in.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
That sounds awesome! I have my second meeting with the recruiter this morning. Ill be sure to ask when the soonest I can put in for MARSOC is.

I know Recon recruiters come to SOI, and allow you to try out. Is it the same for MARSOC?
I believe I read somewhere that MARSOC prefers you to have some experience before putting in.

was going to ask this same question, how long do you have to be in the to try out for Marsoc? Do they allow anybody to try out or are you hand selected?

boduke0220

Established Member
was going to ask this same question, how long do you have to be in the to try out for Marsoc? Do they allow anybody to try out or are you hand selected?

They usually have a few slots available for walk ons..ie My buddy wanted marsoc and got it before he even went to bootcamp. he's at SOI right now, and the way he was talking after SOI he'll go to another Marsoc or recon school for 18 weeks.

Last edited:

jliddle

Established Member
They usually have a few slots available for walk ons..ie My buddy wanted marsoc and got it before he even went to bootcamp. he's at SOI right now, and the way he was talking after SOI he'll go to another Marsoc or recon school for 18 weeks.

The only way you "get" recon/marsoc is to try out IIRC. If they have spots open you see the divisions recruiter and try to make the cut. On top of the prerequisites that even get you considered. You must score 105 on the GT portion of the ASVAB, 1st class swim qual and 1st class PFT.

So my understanding is that recon/marsoc are just separate divisions that do similar things. Both are the "special forces" of the Marine Corps. Best of the best.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Awesome man.

I'll actually be up there for the next two weeks myself at the MARSOC hq building

I'll be doing contract work though :( Nothing even remotely as badass as what you're doing.

whats the age cutoff to join up and go to marsoc anyway??

only a gt

Established Member
Reading stuff like this always makes me want to run down to the nearest recruiter and reenlist, even though I know better...

Users who are viewing this thread