Trans Fluid Change

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
Does anyone know a easy / less mess way of filling the T56 with new tranny fluid? :shrug: :poke: Can you fill it through the gear shifter box since I have the shifter removed. Installing a new MGW shifter and changing the fluid. :read: I feel like a complete :smmon: since it looks so easy.

HotWheelsNutty

Established Member
I picked up a lube pump at Kragen Auto Parts - looks like a giant metal syringe with a foot long plastic tube that attaches to the end. With this you can fill it via the plug in on the side of the transmission until the fluid level is even with the bottom of the hole and just starts to come out. Make sure the car/trans is a level as you can.

Hope this helps.

Tim

sassafras

Established Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or you can drain it via the drain plug on the side of the transmission, then you can fill it back up via the shifter when you have the shifter pulled off. Should take somewhere in the 4 quart neighborhood to get it filled back up.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
+1 to going thru the shifter. Tranny takes just over 1 gal/4qts of fluid and the car doesn't need to be on ramps or stands to fill (eliminating the concern of checking while level).

Go slow, as the fill hole in the shifter box is small and protect your interior from runs and drip of fresh fluid.

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
Thanks, I will give it try through the shifter before I install the new one, Whooo Hooooo, UPS dropped off my new MGW!!! :rockon: :banana:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks, I will give it try through the shifter before I install the new one, Whooo Hooooo, UPS dropped off my new MGW!!! :rockon: :banana:

Congrats...you will love your MGW, one of my favorite and first mods...I have the regular Dextron, but eventually will try the synchromesh...

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
Thanks, I had a MGW on my T45 for my GT. The only brand I would ever buy. Some people may disagree but it is what I like and will continue to promote this as one of the best money can buy.
I might try that Royal Purple stuff, I have heard good things about that brand but never used it. Since I have the engine and trans I might try Royal Purple product to see what all the hype is. Thanks for all the good info this site has to offer. :rockon::beer:

sam90lx

Established Member
Just had my trans fluid done, went with Penzoil Syncromesh.....wow this stuff is really good or the crap that was in there was really bad. Much smoother and quiet.

Now I just need to ditch this Steeda tri-ax for a MGW!

Users who are viewing this thread