Transmission dead?

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
I was driving down the road today, hoping to run a few errands before heading to Orlando Slick World to test out my fresh pair of 315/35 555Rs. Wasn't really running the car hard, but i was being somewhat aggressive. Make a turn onto another road, go through 1st gear into 2nd, reach for 3rd and get nothing but a rev.

WTF?! I know i didn't miss?! Try for 4th, nothing... 2nd, nothing... uh oh. Manage to coast the car into a parking lot and immediately unscrew the shift knob and remove the boot. Not a problem with the handle (had a bolt break before). Didn't have a socket set handy to remove the shifter, unfortunately. The shifter would move in any direction, stopping for nothing. NO gears available.

Called up a friend who has free towing service, and after nearly 5 hours of waiting for a tow truck, the car is finally towed to the local mustang shop (LaMotta Performance), where Jake checks it out. Removes the shifter only to find the balljoint-like part of the shifter (sticking out from the bottom, which is what actually "shifts" the transmission) snapped off completely. I have NEVER heard of anything like that ever happening before? I figured a shift fork would break before a shifter?!

About 15 minutes later, the Tri-Ax was replaced for free and the whole predicament didn't cost me a cent. Made out pretty good on that deal, considering i was almost sure it would require a tranny rebuild at first. :(

Anyone else ever have this happen, or hear of this happening?

Last edited:

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
First time I've ever heard about something like this. Glad it wasn't too serious.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, must have been a defective shifter. Never heard of that happening before. Glad LaMotta took good care of you.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Before i read what the problem was, when you said you can move the shifter around freely.I knew it had to be the shifter itself. Nice to hear you got it taken care of. I have never heard of this happening before. I had a few friends break the handle on a triax but never the ball.

50_Dave

Established Member
i want my props for getting you a free tow.

That or i want in the next E55/cobra video where as im not just doing the damn flagging!

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Originally posted by 50_Dave
i want my props for getting you a free tow.

That or i want in the next E55/cobra video where as im not just doing the damn flagging!

Originally posted by KiLLaBytE
Called up a friend who has free towing service

that would be you. :)

lol thanks dude, i owe you one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread