Transmission decision time

95PGTTech

Established Member
Just trying to learn a little bit about transmissions. Are you saying that the hanlon or pro motion t45 and the TKO 500 are not good daily driven transmissions?

it's not a blanket statement like that.

hanlon offers many different levels of transmission. I got the most basic level, a full rebuild (stock) kit plus the t56 carbon fiber blocker rings, t56 1-2 shift fork, his modified t56 3-4 shift fork, and the three 5-R forks to fix the reverse issue in t45s. he can do anything as simple as that up to double-blocker ring, faceplating, more reinforced parts, remove 5th and change ratios, harder shafts, etc. as you go up in power, you go up in price, and down in daily driver status.

I'm sure promotion is similar.

What I'm saying is that a T56 will hold 650whp all day long in a stock 03/04 Cobra unless you start adding serious amounts of tire/suspension and getting it to hook really hard. At that point, you upgrade the input shaft spline count and you can make a ton more power through the stock trans.

To get a T45 to perform at the same level, it's going to be unliveable. I'm sure there are guys who will swear by faceplated, straight cut dogboxes on here and just say grow a set of nuts, who don't mind gutted drag cars that they have to hop through a jungle gym of bars to get in, no heat or a/c or radio, lexan windows, open headers, 3000rpm idles, etc. But to the normal, average person driving a car a couple days a week, faceplating and straight cut gears get to be too much. Forget hard to get in gear, some of these mods make your trans so loud it sounds like a supercharger or a bad wheel bearing just over your right ear and a hundred times louder.

If all your ever going to do is a few bolt ons, finding another T45 is an option. It will live DD around 300whp for a long while. I wouldn't waste money rebuilding one with what people are asking for them these days. I like overall how much better the T56 is. Holds more power, shifts a TON better, and has the extra gear. This allows you to run like a 4.30 gear and have the same highway rpms as your current car with a 4.10 gear. Get one from the Viper and you can run 4.30s and have the same feel as a 3.73, etc. Have more grunt down low from those gears (god knows B heads need it) but not be doing 5000rpm at 55mph.

This is not a knock on Bob @ Hanlon by any means. He answered my many questions, was local and open to pick up, gave me better pricing on cash parts, showed me a lot of stuff in his shop and was sure to give me stuff to upgrade my trans to make it hold a bit more power without making it unliveable, sold me only what I needed and not anything else. He answered a million of my rebuild questions in person and then later on the phone, I brought the trans to him a few times and he showed me in person and didn't charge me a thing. He scoured the earth and found three parts for me that are non existent for T45s anymore and sacrificed one of his transmissions to give me one of those parts - he sold me an expensive 5-R synchronizer that I admit I screwed up in disassembly for $20. Once I was done he helped me troubleshoot THREE times that I had to re-do it to get it right.

I just see what I spent on the rebuild and the effort and wish I had gone T56 with his parts. Someone who does not have the tools or experience that I do is going to shell out a lot more in labor or purchasing the tools. If I could do it again I would have sold my T45 and MGW shifter, bought a good shape T56 and crossmember. A stock T56 crossmember and mount bolts into your Cobra. For clutch, driveshaft, flywheel, and shifter, those are mods I'd suggest doing anyway and really enjoyed on my car. MGW shifter, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel and lightweight clutch. The only other modification is getting the speedometer to work which I had to do the Dallas Speed Cal for my gears anyway.

I can look up my receipts but I believe the stock rebuild kit, the upgraded blockers, the forks, 5-R kit, 3 bushings, extra bearing, extra bushing, 5-R synchronizer all came to like $650 with him cutting me that stupid deal on the extra stuff. I then had to pick up a $200 tool and $50 worth of oxy-ace to do the rebuild. Not to mention what a couple months of time is worth as around work in winter I can only work on it a day or two a week for a few hours. Most shops are around $500 at least in labor for something like this.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I took my trans to hanlon and for around $750 he rebuilt it with all the updraded parts and I purchased a centerforce clutch from him. I was making over 500rwhp for about 12k miles. When I sold the car, it shifted and sounded the same as day 1.

I didnt daily drive the car but when I did I didnt drive it like a grandma. The trans and clutch setup would be perfect for a DD. Now my TKO600 and spec stage 3 in my car now, I would never recomend for a DD, its actually a pain in the ass, I think its mainly the clutch though.

My thoughs, dont over complicate it, you can just order the parts from hanlon and have a local shop rebuild it or ship it to hanlon to do.

He may have a t45 ready to ship and you just have to send in a core. Id give him a call and feel out his thoughts.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
I've been thru lots of transmission discussions and have one huge sticking point with the whole power capacity thing.

T-45 shift fork issues aside, the next gripe about the tranny is torque capacity. The most common driveline related failure of T-45's appears to be the input shaft twisting/snapping.

So how does the same diameter and spline input shaft in a Cobra T-56 or even the higher rated TR-3650 handle more power? Different metalurgy? Maybe, but since they are all built by the same company, I'd be surprised.

I wanted a beefier tranny in my Cobra but because I couldn't get past that whole input shaft thing, I ended up buying promotions HD T-45 rebuild kit which I am about to install.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
I did the T56 swap in my 98. You could get a used t56 from someone or go to RPM transmissions website. They sell rebuilt t56s. For the swap you will absolutely need a bellhousing, modify your drive shaft or get a 03/04 cobra and an extended range speed cal and of course a shifter.

Drive shaft options:
1) If you use your stock D/S you will need to have it shortened. You will also need a new slip yoke that goes in the back of the trans as the splines for the rear output shaft in the T56 are larger than the t45.

or

2) You get a a 03/04 cobra d/s. If you do this you will need a 03/04 cobra pinion flange once again because the PF on the Termys is larger than the 96-98s. You could remove the rear yoke from the 03/04 d/s and install the yoke from your 96-98 d/s thus allowing you to use your stock yoke and pinion flange. However, trust me from experience I would highly advise against this.

You can relocate your stock t45 trans crossmember. You can use your stock clutch cable, stock clutch, flywheel, clutch fork. You do not need to modify the reverse lock out solenoid.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Having said all of that. I would advise getting a new clutch/flwheel (upgrading to an 11 inch), pilot bearing and TOB. The install is fairly easy. Actually because the t56 does not have an integrated bell housing it is easier than the t45 to install. However, to warn you the t56 is heavier than the t45 so it is either a two man job or I recommend a trans jack. I am very happy with my t56. It is a great trans and will hold everything I can and plan to throw at it.

96mystic_915

Established Member
stay away the t3650- they are piles of junk i have one in my car and it grinds 3rd gear after 5k miles it started grinding and that was supposed to be built and its dieing slowly in my car and i have just a bolt on car

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
You can muscle through the reverse lockout, hook it up to to a switch or hook it up to a switch with a timer, which is what I did, and I find it very convenient.

You can learn how to make a T56 reverse lockout timer here: http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/Interior/ReverseLockoutTimer/T56ReverseLockoutTimer.htm

Mark. Thank you for the info and also thank you very much for building these. I will be ordering one from you in the near future. It will be nice to not have to "double fist" the car into reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread