Transmission decision time

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
It looks like I will need to either replace my transmission or have it rebuilt. Do any of you guys have any advice on this subject? What did you get when you made the decision and what did it cost?

Any advice is appreciated!

Steve

harvboi05

Established Member
i will get a pro-motion 3650 when the time comes. quality replacement parts for T45s are going to be very hard to come by and $$.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
if u dont feel like swapping bellhousings doing a otn of other converting crap i would just build the crap out of the t-45..i had a built one and it worked great, but the input shaft wasnt built so that blew in my 3rd gear burnout attempt..lol but if u are downt ot change i would do the ever so great t-56 or the tr3650 swap

95PGTTech

Established Member
I agree about the replacement costs and difficulty. I did my own rebuild and I still spent $600 for new blocker rings, new bearings, shims, all the wear parts, the updated 1-2 shift fork, an aftermarket 3-4 shift fork, and the 5/R reverse kit to solve that issue.

I'm going T56 eventually. The parts easily interchange with TR6060 stuff so it will be around awhile, easily upgradeable, and easier to work on. In stock form, they handle a ton of power so I can make ~650whp and not need to drive some faceplated, noisy POS.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
What are your goals for the car? What is your budget?

Ultimately I just want to drive it as often as I can for as long as I can. I like upgrading things if I can afford it. I hope to get a shortrunner on it someday. I have some headers that I haven't had the time or money to deal with getting them on yet. Sometime down the road it would be fun to take it to the track and learn how to get my best 1320 time slip, but that won't happen for some years yet.

The car is paid for, and I drive it most days of the week. My budget is wishing that I didn't have to buy a transmission at the moment, but looking at what the shop has said to me about it at this point I could be spending 1200 or so to get it fixed. I don't know by who, or what kind of work this "fixer" has done in the past. So I am kind of measuring what the possibilities are for solutions against that 1200 bucks to get it back to where it was before.

I live in the mountains out here in east KY, so we don't have a large number of readily available people who do great work. A lot of times you can only "get what you can get" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all replies!

Steve

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I think a t56 swap would be well over $1200..

At that price point, look into a hanlon t45. Mine took alot of abuse at over 500rwhp.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

At that price point, look into a hanlon t45. Mine took alot of abuse at over 500rwhp.

I agree.

I used to be one of those guys that thought a T56 swap wouldn't be that costly. You'll be very hard pressed to find a T56 setup for $1200. There are many more parts needed than just the trans. At very least you're talking trans, bellhousing, driveshaft/having yours shortened, pinion flange/custom u-joint, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, shifter, clutch cable, extended range speed-cal (unless you find a mechanical speedo T56), conversion trans mount, and a few small parts to modify the reverse lockout solenoid...

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I've had a D&D BA3 T56 for a long time now, long enough that I can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't cheap. I had a local transmission guru go through it about a year and a half ago when I upgraded it to 26 spline, and everything was just like new. The BA3 was configured with all of the components of a Viper spec tranny, except input and output shafts.

I beat the crap out of my car, and it has held up very well.

FYI, regarding the vehicle speed sensors in these trannys, there are two styles, "electronic" and "mechanical". Electronic ones are the ones with an OSS (Output Shaft Sensor) targeted at 99+ cars, and mechanical ones have speedometer gears driving a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). If you go with one with an electronic OSS, you will need to use a Dallas Mustang Speedcal, and it must be an extended range unit, which is all they make now. But if you buy one used, make sure it is extended range unit, not the standard range.

I did a writeup on how to handle these signals for inter-generational tranny swaps here: VSS/OSS Swaps

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member

Are you saying that the Hanlon t45 is in the $1200 range? I have been looking at the website to see if they sell a t45 outright, but it looks lke you have to send them your and wait for them to go through it.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
What did you get when you made the decision and what did it cost?
Steve
I went with a new T-56 mechanical speedo unit. I went the T-56 route because I didn't want to have buyers remorse with a rebuilt T-45 and I wanted to have something new vs' something with a history that I was unsure of.

Total cost $3229.91 and that was with overseas air freight shipping to Germany. I pieced the parts needed myself and then bought them. I could have went with a kit from different vendors but it would have cost more to do it that way.

Here's a link to my swap.T-56 Swap into a 98 IRS equipped Cobra - Mightymustangs.net

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
The t56 looks like it is way out of my budget. Plus, the gear ratios aren't what I am looking for. I like the t45, but if I can get an upgraded version of that for what a repair will cost then that is a good deal.

But what about the TKO 500. Is that a direct swap? I found a lot of price lists for that one at $2095. That is a little more than I would like to spend, so I would be looking for a good deal on it if it is a substitute for the t45.

What about the 3650? Is that going to bolt right in? Is it any better than a t45?

Steve

95PGTTech

Established Member
The t56 looks like it is way out of my budget. Plus, the gear ratios aren't what I am looking for. I like the t45, but if I can get an upgraded version of that for what a repair will cost then that is a good deal.

But what about the TKO 500. Is that a direct swap? I found a lot of price lists for that one at $2095. That is a little more than I would like to spend, so I would be looking for a good deal on it if it is a substitute for the t45.

What about the 3650? Is that going to bolt right in? Is it any better than a t45?

Steve

But you keep saying this is going to be a mildly modded street car/DD. That rules out basically any of these transmissions other than in stock form. You're going to be, realistically, $1.7K into a T56 with all the little odds and ends, tax, shipping, etc. with a decent deal. And it's going to hold 3 times the power, with all the stock driveability.

I have a Hanlon build now. The T45 can't hold a candle to a T56 or a TR6060, stock or built. A fully built drag race T45 will hold about the same power as a stock T56, and feel like shit.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
But you keep saying this is going to be a mildly modded street car/DD. That rules out basically any of these transmissions other than in stock form. You're going to be, realistically, $1.7K into a T56 with all the little odds and ends, tax, shipping, etc. with a decent deal. And it's going to hold 3 times the power, with all the stock driveability.

I have a Hanlon build now. The T45 can't hold a candle to a T56 or a TR6060, stock or built. A fully built drag race T45 will hold about the same power as a stock T56, and feel like shit.

Just trying to learn a little bit about transmissions. Are you saying that the hanlon or pro motion t45 and the TKO 500 are not good daily driven transmissions?

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Thats pretty obvious thats what hes saying......

Any T45 that you build to take that kinda power will shift hard, and a bunch of other things that make it a crappy dd trans.

Get a T56/6060 some basic upgrades for it(ie nice clutch/pp ect) and you'll have a nicely shifting trans that will take a beating.

Simple

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
T-56 Magnum and I wouldn't have it anyother way. When my T45 went out i thought about building that tranny, but than I realized how many threads i've seen on T45's still going out or problems shifting and stuff. so I opted for the do it right do it once method and dropped the cash on it. People who have driven my car say it's the smoothest tranny they have ever shifted, besides a jerico at high rpm ofcoarse. Most of the comments come from 03-04 cobra guys too.. something to think about

Users who are viewing this thread