Transmission jack question...

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
As you can tell from my post count, I'm more of a lurker on the site than anything. I'm coming outa the shell! :pepper: So for those of you who have used a transmission jack with the car on jack stands, what do or don't you like about the transmission jack? As part of an engineering design project for school, I am in the process of redesigning the standard transmission jack to make it a tad more...user friendly. First step in the process is getting the general consensus on what is good/bad about the different styles of jacks, and I figured SVTP would be a good place to start.

So if you fellas don't mind, what can I improve or keep the same (weight, tilt angle, maneuverability, etc.)

oldmodman

Established Member
I got a transmission jack to use under my lift. It's a simple and cheap one.

If it had all the features I wanted it probably would have cost a grand. I would have liked to be able to jack the top plate fore and aft, side to side, and crossways. As it is I have been able to use it to R&R the IRS, transmission, full fuel tank (that was a pain) and a friend's solid rear. I wish it had more attaching points for chains so I could more easily lock down oddball shapes.

It works, but i am always worried that it will collapse.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i can't live without mine, as much as i change tob's lol. it is a pretty cheap one from harbor freight. i use it with the car on jackstands in my garage. it really does the job well everytime. i can't see too much of a way to improve on it.

i sometimes use it for other things as well, such as lifting up the differential housing or holding the back of the x-pipe in place while i bolt it up

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
I manage a transmission shop and we have 3 expensive jacks (Gray). I like that the seals are easy to replace and they are strong. We have fabbed up adapters out of wood to set on top of the jack for the transmission pan to rest on so it's stable. I always thought maybe 4 or 5 adapters for the common transmissions would be handy. Maybe a rubber adapter design that is secured to the jack would work. Also, ours are powered by air, and are very very touchy when going up or down. Maybe an electric motor that ran off of batterys would be more user friendly and could get rid of the need of air hoses to trip over? Just tossing things around. Good luck

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've only used one for normal vehicle repair, and it was a cheap harbor freighter.

Manueverabilty of the transmission, without losing control would be great. For example, have the part the trans sits on be able to move in every direction, but not a free slide, more like a screw setup with handles on each side to move it.

Better wheels for less than ideal surfaces could be a selling point, but we have smooth concrete in out shop.

Users who are viewing this thread