Transmission Noise after new T56 Magnum Install

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
I finally got my car running again and I am trying to get used to it and the Tick Shifter. The Shifter is quite stiff making the 1 to 2 shift a bit different since one has to put a lot of pressure to keep it in the 1-2 gate. I read that the shifter loosens up after a while. The other shifts are very easy.

With the transmission in neutral and the clutch pedal up there is very little rollover noise if any. But if I turn on the A/C I do get some rollover noise .

I am wondering if this could be due to a damaged engine mount. Perhaps I messed it up lowering the transmission too much to get to the bell housing bolts.

Has anyone had this kind of experience?

MG0h3

Established Member
Sorry but what’s rollover noise?

I don’t know if it’s my clutch (2 diff RXTs) the trans or both but in my garage I can hear it echoing off the wall.

Been that way since I bought the car when it had 4K on it 10yrs ago and it sounds the same with 20k on it now.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
You can google "transmission rollover noise" and/or "transmission box of rocks". It is quite normal to hear it on some T56s but my question is why it does it more when the A/C is on.

MG0h3

Established Member
You can google "transmission rollover noise" and/or "transmission box of rocks". It is quite normal to hear it on some T56s but my question is why it does it more when the A/C is on.

Ah yes that is how I’d describe the sound.

As far as increasing with the AC on, it has to be the slight increase in RPM

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

olympic

Established Member
Mine's pretty noisy at idle, sounds like I have a bad rod knock some times. I've always just assumed it was from having a lumpy idle with cams.

Roush6018

Established Member
i have to agree my T-56 in my cobra swap does have some noise when its running at idle. the transmission does make louder noises when i am in the wrong gear while driving. the engine likes to be around 3k rpm or more to have a quiet transmission. it is a bummer to me i would hope that a T-56 Magnum should be somewhat quieter than a stock or built T-56.

03venomdsg

Established Member
My magnum is definitely louder than my old t56. Not sure if it's from the larger gears or what, but I just ignore it at this point.

03' White Snake

Established Member
i have to agree my T-56 in my cobra swap does have some noise when its running at idle. the transmission does make louder noises when i am in the wrong gear while driving. the engine likes to be around 3k rpm or more to have a quiet transmission. it is a bummer to me i would hope that a T-56 Magnum should be somewhat quieter than a stock or built T-56.
My magnum does this too, only since I installed the RXT 1200 though. Was all tq and installed correctly, broken in too. 1500-2000 rpm in 4th, sounds like a box of rocks in there. Get the rpm’s above 2500 or Shift to raise rpm and it’s gone. It’s definitely the clutch not the magnum.

OP, check your fluid level. I have no added transmission noise with the car running in neutral, ac or not.

03venomdsg

Established Member
My magnum does this too, only since I installed the RXT 1200 though. Was all tq and installed correctly, broken in too. 1500-2000 rpm in 4th, sounds like a box of rocks in there. Get the rpm’s above 2500 or Shift to raise rpm and it’s gone. It’s definitely the clutch not the magnum.

OP, check your fluid level. I have no added transmission noise with the car running in neutral, ac or not.
Can second the box of rocks sound in that range with the RXT. I've just learned to drive around it at this point. Might consider the dyad next time around.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
hmmm... guess I just cant hear it over the BRRV and full exhaust.

I definitely had noise from the promotion clutch assembly I had with the 3650

robvas

Established Member
I thought this why we called them the Truck-56 in the old days

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
both my cars have made that a/c-related noise for years now. it's not a problem. the solution is loud exhaust, cranking the radio, and driving the crap out of the car

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

funny, mine is the same way except it did the same with the centerforce dual friction single disk I ran before the RXT as well. Mine will do it in 2nd and 3rd as well. Back when I did the swap I read posts on some pro touring sites where guys talked about the same box of rocks noise when lugging the car. I just learned not to bog the car, drives fine otherwise. Reminds me of the old M5OD in my brothers explorer when it'd lug up a hill at low RPM. I don't have any abnormal noises at idle, a/c on or off.

I figured at this point, if it blows up it blows up, hasn't happened so far in 4000+ miles.

Users who are viewing this thread