Transmission noise

herdfan75

Established Member
Just finished installing a new clutch, TOB, etc. in my 96 Cobra. The car drives great, but I notice a noise coming from the transmission, primarily in 5th gear. I can't really describe it...it's not a growl or whine...but almost sounds like "white noise" like when a radio station goes off the air. This noise was there before, so I don't think it has anything to do with having it apart. I did notice that the "boot" that surrounds the shifter (when you take it apart...not the actual interior shift boot under the knob) has been cut out and is pretty much open. Would that allow a lot of noise to come through there? Are the T45's inherently noisy? Don't get me wrong, it's not loud really, but just curious.

Alegend123

Established Member
Noise def will come thru the neoprene boot if it's not sealed tight.. exhaust noise mixed with tires on pavement could def be what your hearing I took a piece of epdm rubber that we use at work to seal mine off

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
David, I highly recommend that you pick up one of my shifter gasket kits. The kit's primary purpose is to reduce noise from the transmission that is carried into the cabin through your shifter.

Here's a link with a few of the many testimonials. I've sold a lot of these kits over the years to SVTP members. Very popular mod.
Stang Shifter Gasket Kits Testimonials

herdfan75

Established Member
David, I highly recommend that you pick up one of my shifter gasket kits. The kit's primary purpose is to reduce noise from the transmission that is carried into the cabin through your shifter.

Here's a link with a few of the many testimonials. I've sold a lot of these kits over the years to SVTP members. Very popular mod.
Just ordered, but tell me how is this better than just using silicone to seal the shifter? I need to get a replacement shifter boot too.

jgt58

Established Member

Where do I buy one

1996 mustang cobra... many mods...

Users who are viewing this thread