Transmission problems

jerrytubbs1

Established Member
Well as you know,I had a clutch replaced due to factory defect.That was at about 200 miles. Now with 900 miles on the car, it grinds going into 2nd gear.The dealer said bring it in and ordered a new tranny.Then I get a call, that the warranty is gone because of the mods.....Evolution stage 4,suspension kit,and dual cylinder linelocks,aluminum d/s,steeda short shift and pistol grip shifter..........the owner of the dealership and the service manager and advisor called the rep and argued for 45 min. that my mods didnt cause the problem and basically he said "tough..........the warranty is completely gone in its entirity on the car...........tell your customer to put in back to stock and we will send a ford tech. to verify it is back to ford specs and will then and only then reinstate the warranty at or descretion.....he also stated even if i do that there is still no warranty on the bad tranny.....Does anyone have any contact info or any help advice or any words of wisdom?

Thanks

CGoeschel

Established Member
Unfortunately this is the price we pay for putting modifications that exceed factory specifications and Ford isnt shy about letting you know that. I knew up front that my warranty was going to be dust by putting on my mods and unfortunately I think your going to be stuck paying for a tranny or at least "cost" on the new tranny if you pitch a fit.

jerrytubbs1

Established Member
Well the tranny is good to 600 lbs of tq. correct? I'm only at 565 so shouldnt that make a diffrence?Alos how could teh shifter or any of my mods ,directly have anything to do with the tranny?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if your really sure that your mods couldnt in any way have caused a problem then maybe you should contact SEMA, they are major enforcers of the magnusson-moss act(or whatever its called).

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
The mod has to be a cause of the problem. They can't void the whole warranty! By way of example, an aftermarket clutch would not void the warranty for a stereo problem.

jugsreturn

Established Member
99 KOBRA said:
The mod has to be a cause of the problem. They can't void the whole warranty! By way of example, an aftermarket clutch would not void the warranty for a stereo problem.

But wouldn't a shifter void the tranny warranty?

CGoeschel

Established Member
I dont think they can void the warranty on the whole car, but the fact that you brought the car with your mods, I be surprised if they didnt try and get some form of payment for the tranny.

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
The Magnuesson Law says the Manufacturer must prove the modification was the cause of the malfunction in the car. It is incumbent upon the Dealer to show you how.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
yip, thats the one. if there are any problems(such as the dealer refusing to prove it, yet still charging you) then contact SEMA.

lizardbreath

Banned
I would have to say it's your short throw if anything is what they are going to argue. Honestly I would NEVER mod that car until it was done with the warranty period.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Is the evolution Stage 4 a boost upgrade? If it is, they could tie that to pretty much any type of powertrain failure. The linelock could also cause some problems as you could be doing burnouts while the car is stationary, thus putting extra stress on the tranny above factory specs.

Good luck, but you play you pay.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
:eek:

Yes, it would be in the Ford system as void. Sorry to hear, I sure hope they didn't see the videos of all your burnouts. Not to take sides but weren't you doing burnouts dry in those videos?? with slicks or just stickys?? Either way, it's stress on the drivetrain............a waterbox is there at the track for a reason. Best of luck...........don't give up though, all that repair $$$ is worth the fight.

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
yeah once its in the computer, it doesn't matter where you go. Ford has started to be real tight on warrenty work. Hopefully everything works out for ya.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
lizardbreath said:
I would have to say it's your short throw if anything is what they are going to argue. Honestly I would NEVER mod that car until it was done with the warranty period.

I disagree with this example. What's the point of waiting? his tranny would still have failed and then he has no warranty at all so it doesnt make a difference. at least now he has some ground to stand on when making his argument.

MYGT500

Established Member
ViperBlueCobra said:
put it back to stock, and take it to another dealer.

He is basically screwed,because the area rep knows about the mods now..my suggestion to pull the tranny and have it fixed at a independant tranny shop,there should not be that much wrong with it,and i haven't heard of any others failing.

Users who are viewing this thread