Transmission problems

SlowSVT

Established Member
You installed a linelock on your brand new GT500 and brought it into the dealer with transmission problems. Put yourself in Fords shoes. Would you pay for a customers blown transimmion after seeing a mod like that?

You are a candidate for the Darwin Award

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
its a dead issue now if ford knows about the tune, line lock, and shifter mods.

the only thing you can hope for is to take the tranny into a good/great tranny shop and have them tear it apart and say that nothing broke, and it was defective when new.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
900 miles. Line Lock. More Boost. Anyone would void that. Unless they want to loose thier franchise.

Honestly, you had me going until i saw the line-lock.

chuckstang

Established Member
Well here is the thing that no body has mentioned. Wasnt there a recall on Tranny/clutches from GT500s built in June???????????

CGoeschel

Established Member
Whether there was a recall or not is a non-issue if you've modded the car with anything that causes additional stress (beyond factory specifications) on the affected part and could have caused the failure.

You shouldn't be surprised that they won't replace the tranny. Your pal at the dealer probably made them aware of your mods because Ford may have considered sending down an engineer to look at your vehicle. Naturally, the dealer wasn't going to be stupid and go on with this charade and lie to Ford that the car wasn't modified. I know of one 04 Cobra owner who went through this process trying to get Ford to warranty his motor after he blew it up. Ford sent an engineer down, without him being made aware by the dealer, it was open and shut for the engineer as the removal of the stock pulley was identified along with a watermark on the PCM that a chip had been burned. Ford isn't playing around these days. They know what guys and tuners are doing to these cars.

jerrytubbs1

Established Member

^^^^^I guess thats what a few people around here do,is insult people,while the rest try to help out.

I understand and appreciate all beneficial input....I know the car is modded and if it pushed it past the hp or tq or rpm ratings ,then I would not argue with Ford at all but ,Bottom line is this, the info states that the tranny should hold 600 lbs/tq......I dont have that muich,so do you guys think that will help any at all in my argument over this?

If some of you remember I had a car that had a clutch problem,and it was fixed due to factory defect.I was told by one of the tranny guys at the dealership, that the brace box bearing( I think thats what he called it. its the piece that pushes the syncro back or slows it down.) is more than likely what caused the problem.But it usually doesnt rear its face up to about 500 miles after the repair of the clutch......Is anyone here famaliar with that ????
I asked him to say the same thing to the tech thats coming on Monday and he said he already told the tech that and that the tech from Ford didnt care what he had to say.

Heres a question I want to ask as simply as I can....Ford said the clutch/tranny is good to 600 lbs/tq,even though my car had mods,it isnt at 600lbs/tq,so wouldnt that advertising "safe level" be false if they are trying to blame mods when I'm still not at 600?Am I looking at it wrong?

Last edited:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
jerrytubbs1 said:

^^^^^I guess thats what a few people around here do,is insult people,while the rest try to help out.

I understand and appreciate all beneficial input....I know the car is modded and if it pushed it past the hp or tq or rpm ratings ,then I would not argue with Ford at all but ,Bottom line is this, the info states that the tranny should hold 600 lbs/tq......I dont have that muich,so do you guys think that will help any at all in my argument over this?

If some of you remember I had a car that had a clutch problem,and it was fixed due to factory defect.I was told by one of the tranny guys at the dealership, that the brace box bearing( I think thats what he called it. its the piece that pushes the syncro back or slows it down.) is more than likely what caused the problem.But it usually doesnt rear its face up to about 500 miles after the repair of the clutch......Is anyone here famaliar with that ????
I asked him to say the same thing to the tech thats coming on Monday and he said he already told the tech that and that the tech from Ford didnt care what he had to say.

Heres a question I want to ask as simply as I can....Ford said the clutch/tranny is good to 600 lbs/tq,even though my car had mods,it isnt at 600lbs/tq,so wouldnt that advertising "safe level" be false if they are trying to blame mods when I'm still not at 600?Am I looking at it wrong?

Jerrytubbs1:

I sent you a PM at stangsunleashed.com several days ago.... did you ever read it? If so, What Happened? Please reply via PM only

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
I got your reply Jerry, let us know what happens.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
jerrytubbs1 said:
I know the car is modded and if it pushed it past the hp or tq or rpm ratings ,then I would not argue with Ford at all but ,Bottom line is this, the info states that the tranny should hold 600 lbs/tq......I dont have that muich,so do you guys think that will help any at all in my argument over this?

your car has been pushed beyond the fords production statistics with a tune that increased horsepower. that is all they need to know. icing on the cake is the shifter and line lock wich shows ford that it very well could have been raced as well. all this equalls a very swift void of all power train. open shut case.

if you do pursue this anymore it would be with tremec. your arguement is qouting tremecs ratings not ford power train ratings. but good luck getting tremec to warranty thier product with a line lock installed at one time! regardless of ratings high horsepower and high rpm clutch drops do not mix well!

like i said before your only hope is for there to be some evidence of a busted or bad tranny before it was installed into your car. a good tranny shop should be able to tell you whats wrong and how it happened.

magred

Established Member
I tend to agree with everyone who stated that you modded your car so you basically bought a new or a rebuilt tranny. Think about it this way, if you sold something that made a certain HP would you think it was right to have to pay for someone modifying that product beyond what it came with? The car has been changed from it's original configuration and thus developed problems. Even under the Moss-Magnusson Act you would have trouble. The extra HP can not be good for that tranny to have to deal with and could very well have broke due to that HP.

CGoeschel

Established Member
After seeing some of these cars with tranny issues, clutch issues etc on modified and unmodified cars, Im wondering if the tranny/clutch is the proverbial Achille's heel/Glass Jaw of the Shelby? Its seems every high performance car Ford builds these days has at least one weak spot. I thought this setup was supposed to support mega power?

R1Lello

Established Member
CGoeschel said:
After seeing some of these cars with tranny issues, clutch issues etc on modified and unmodified cars, Im wondering if the tranny/clutch is the proverbial Achille's heel/Glass Jaw of the Shelby? Its seems every high performance car Ford builds these days has at least one weak spot. I thought this setup was supposed to support mega power?

I'm wondering the same.........many quick ones out there without a hiccup and the Evo car being super fast and they swear by the stock clutch. ????? Maybe a breakin period is required???

And you're going the KB route soon too?? You concerned even more???

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
jerrytubbs1 said:

600 Flywheel right? You are probably around 625-640. Even going by your logic you are out of luck.

Sorry to hear bout the problems.

CGoeschel

Established Member
R1Lello said:
I'm wondering the same.........many quick ones out there without a hiccup and the Evo car being super fast and they swear by the stock clutch. ????? Maybe a breakin period is required???

And you're going the KB route soon too?? You concerned even more???

I was going to put it on yesterday, but I had to send back my xcal for some "minor" tweaking to correct a CEL at or near idle. Not a big deal, but it did keep me from putting it on. Im going to put it on this weekend I believe since Im off Saturday and Sunday. I am a little concerned about the clutch more than the tranny itself, but really I just want to have a viable alternative to replacing a stock clutch assembly thats around 1600.00 bucks. If Im going to spend that, then Im going to replace it with something thats better. I have the hissing at clutch release like everyone else which is normal, but when I depress the clutch all the way down, I can still hear the contact of the clutch plates as the flywheels spins. Almost like its not totally disengaging, but so minor that I havent done anything about it. I just put it in neutral and release the pedal if Im sitting at a light or something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread