Transmission removal .. A6

White608

Go faster
Established Member
Any tips tricks ? or is it pretty much like everything else.

Only info I can find is on M6 cars

White608

Go faster
Established Member
I have one.

What I was talking about odd placed bolts that you can't see or the cooler lines having a special tool needed. Things like that

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Cooler lines are held down by a single, Loctited bolt, no big deal. These trannies have a habit of airlocking and not wanting to let the pan come down or the cooler lines out of the side unless you loosen the 19mm fill/ dipstick cover plug on the passenger side front, of course with the cooler lines it's nothing a small prybar won't take care of.

What else.. torque converter nut access hole in the driver's side of the block, some have a rubber plug there and some don't. The main electrical connector is a twist lock, the twist lever is too long and stops on the body unless you lower the trans a bit, so remember that on install before you bolt the crossmember up.

With the stock 2-piece driveshaft you won't even have to remove it, just disconnect the front and secure it up out of the way. Don't forget to do the crank relearn when you're done, it is required per the WSM.

White608

Go faster
Established Member
exactly what I was asking for..

So the CPS relearn has to be done at a dealer? Will any of the handheld's do this ?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Supposedly the Procal is the only handheld that can do the relearn. Seems about 50/50 on whether or not a car needs the relearn, some guys get away with skipping it. If you get flashing MIL and misfire codes that's why.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
I have one.

What I was talking about odd placed bolts that you can't see or the cooler lines having a special tool needed. Things like that

Nothing really weird. As long as you have a 30"-36" long extension to get the top bellhousng bolts with the trans tipped down, you don't really need anything special.

The cooler lines are brazed into a block that is secured with a bolt to the trans.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Cooler lines are held down by a single, Loctited bolt, no big deal. These trannies have a habit of airlocking and not wanting to let the pan come down or the cooler lines out of the side unless you loosen the 19mm fill/ dipstick cover plug on the passenger side front, of course with the cooler lines it's nothing a small prybar won't take care of.

What else.. torque converter nut access hole in the driver's side of the block, some have a rubber plug there and some don't. The main electrical connector is a twist lock, the twist lever is too long and stops on the body unless you lower the trans a bit, so remember that on install before you bolt the crossmember up.

With the stock 2-piece driveshaft you won't even have to remove it, just disconnect the front and secure it up out of the way. Don't forget to do the crank relearn when you're done, it is required per the WSM.

That wasn't required, nor was it done, on my early 2011.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
That wasn't required, nor was it done, on my early 2011.

Incorrect, it is always technically required. Consult the service manual. Looked it up for you, it's step 51 for both '11 and '12 models. Didn't check for '13.

Last edited:

White608

Go faster
Established Member
Got the transmission out. I must say it was pretty simple, not nearly as bad as I had thought.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Supposedly the Procal is the only handheld that can do the relearn. Seems about 50/50 on whether or not a car needs the relearn, some guys get away with skipping it. If you get flashing MIL and misfire codes that's why.

You guys are making me quote my above post..

It's in the book. Skip it if you want, maybe you'll get lucky. I can't afford to skip that step, comebacks suck.

wbt

Banned
You guys are making me quote my above post..

It's in the book. Skip it if you want, maybe you'll get lucky. I can't afford to skip that step, comebacks suck.

It is in more of a response to:

Incorrect, it is always technically required. Consult the service manual. Looked it up for you, it's step 51 for both '11 and '12 models. Didn't check for '13.

We are simply saying it wasn't required on our cars. I also didn't have to do this when changing the clutch on my M6 5.0. That may not be the case for everyone. I have seen some that have to do the relearn while other's don't.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It is in more of a response to:

We are simply saying it wasn't required on our cars. I also didn't have to do this when changing the clutch on my M6 5.0. That may not be the case for everyone. I have seen some that have to do the relearn while other's don't.

To me, required means it's in the book. Especially if some that don't do it have problems. Knowing that, why run the risk?

Georgeinnepa: :bash:

I'm done arguing over this, the info is out there and the obstinate children that will bicker over anything can do it without my presence.

Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
To me, required means it's in the book. Especially if some that don't do it have problems. Knowing that, why run the risk?

Georgeinnepa: :bash:

I'm done arguing over this, the info is out there and the obstinate children that will bicker over anything can do it without my presence.

If one in a hundred thousand cars had a problem and it was found that leaving the passenger door open along with buckling the drivers seat belt solved it, that would be step 52 in the service manual...

:poke:

;-)

Users who are viewing this thread