transmission removal

dynamo

Established Member
good day!
ok got car jacked up, quick inspection, doesnt really look like
i need to remove the exhaust H pipe to remove the trans.?
I had an exhasut shop remove cat and heat sinks 2 years ago and they welded up a custom crappy weld exhasut system with no flange for the mufflers. has anybody actually removed the transmission without removing the exhaust H pipe??

whiteboyawesome

Established Member
When i removed mine to do the clutch i dropped my off road x took off the drive shaft removed the starter removed the tranny cross member and took off all the tranny bolts used a baby tranny jack was a pain in the ass with that little jack job took a while but its not hard good luck

crazycarlo

Established Member
while in theory I guess u dont need to remove the x pipe thats given a best case scenario. You are more then likely going to need to remove it. You will need to wiggle the trans up and down to get it to slide out and then back in.

dynamo

Established Member
i know it looks good to me to leave h pipe in, but then proably after 2-3 hours of fighting somthing, i will say i should of removed H PIPE, lol

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
I remove a tranny in these cars a least once every 2 weeks. Midpipe off, always. It makes it easier with the driveshaft and with the tranny tailshaft. It gives you way more room to move your head and hands too. It tales all of 2 minutes to take off or put back on. And drain the tranny while you're there, it'll be lighter, less mess, and your trannycould always use new fluid :)

dynamo

Established Member
should i just let the transfluid drain out the tail shaft?
how many quarts approx will it be??

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
I just put a bag over tail shaft with a rubberband to keep the fluid from going everywhere.
-Tim

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
There's a transmission drain plug and it should take about 4 quarts

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
Removing the Midpipe will make it easier to fill from the fill plug. And the factory clutch cable is a nice piece, I'd re use it For sure.

Users who are viewing this thread