Transmission went out

Baysixx

Established Member
Last night I let my buddy, who is a good driver, do a couple pulls in my car. The first pull was from a dig and it was mostly spinning until the top of 3rd. Second pull was a 45 roll from second gear. He quickshifted 3rd gear and it went into 3rd, but then it popped out like a missed shift and we heard a loud grinding noise. Now the car won't engage in 3rd gear and there is a horrible metal on metal sound coming from the transmission case. I'm pulling the tranny and Blazer707 is taking a look at what happened. While the case is opened, should I invest in some bronze forks or anything to reinforce the tranny or should I try to go with a T56? Let me know what you guys think went wrong and what the best remedy is.

Car has 50k miles on it and is not covered by warranty. I was not spraying when it went out and the clutch has been in my car for about 2000 miles.

hand-filer

Established Member
Personally I would send it to Adam at Revolution Automotive and have it rebuilt. Then add a decent clutch assembly and you're good to go.
A lot cheaper than a T56 swap, no need for a axle ratio swap, cruise control issues etc, etc.
Oh and don't let your expert gear shifting buddy drive your car again, ever!

draxxus131

Established Member
Your buddy was powershifting the poor MT-82 tranny, our manual trannies cannot handle it all too well or at least only for a short while. What the above people are posting is not because your friend might be a bad driver in their eyes but because he didn't know what happens to this tranny when you do this.

Punisher1401

Established Member
With 50k on it and the cars been sprayed it sounds like, that m82 has been put through its paces I'm sure. Go rev rebuild

mhyjek

Established Member
Last night I let my buddy, who is a good driver, do a couple pulls in my car. The first pull was from a dig and it was mostly spinning until the top of 3rd. Second pull was a 45 roll from second gear. He quickshifted 3rd gear and it went into 3rd, but then it popped out like a missed shift and we heard a loud grinding noise. Now the car won't engage in 3rd gear and there is a horrible metal on metal sound coming from the transmission case. I'm pulling the tranny and Blazer707 is taking a look at what happened. While the case is opened, should I invest in some bronze forks or anything to reinforce the tranny or should I try to go with a T56? Let me know what you guys think went wrong and what the best remedy is.

Car has 50k miles on it and is not covered by warranty. I was not spraying when it went out and the clutch has been in my car for about 2000 miles.
Liberty gears can rebuild and upgrade as well they cyro treat gears bronze pads and something else I forgot but checked into them before I did a tremec swap.

CPRsm

Sounds like he broke the shift fork. They're not impressively welded in some spots. Shift pads are nice. Weld the forks and look at the input shaft. If it's ok have it cryo treated. That will help keep it from whining if you want to keep power shifting

Baysixx

Established Member
Sounds like he broke the shift fork. They're not impressively welded in some spots. Shift pads are nice. Weld the forks and look at the input shaft. If it's ok have it cryo treated. That will help keep it from whining if you want to keep power shifting

I don't power shift, I do let off the gas. I just meant shifting fast. But I'm hoping the damage isn't too bad. I'm leaning towards rebuilding the mt82 and figuring out the best way to reinforce it without breaking my bank.

Users who are viewing this thread