Transporting car *IN* a U-Haul trailer???

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
Looking to make a cross country move here very soon and was wondering if anyone has ever transported their car IN a trailer. The car I'm trying to load is a G35 Coupe and the trailer I'm looking at is wide enough to fit the car and has more than enough load capacity to handle it and the household items I plan on loading in with it.

The way I see it there are 2 problems:
1 - Loading the car (can be solved by backing up the trailer to an elevated plane and using ramps to drive across)

2 - Keeping the car from moving (solved by letting some air out of the tires and nailing down wood blocks around the wheels)

Anyone done this before?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
1) to load my car, I back up on ramps to elevate the trailer to ensure it doesn't scrap as my ramps aren't long enough. You could also build ramps, but if its a one time deal, it ain't worth it. You could also use the trailer jack to lift the front end.

2) I think U-Haul provides straps that go over your wheels with the trailer.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
1) to load my car, I back up on ramps to elevate the trailer to ensure it doesn't scrap as my ramps aren't long enough. You could also build ramps, but if its a one time deal, it ain't worth it. You could also use the trailer jack to lift the front end.

2) I think U-Haul provides straps that go over your wheels with the trailer.

Yeah I'm talking about loading the car INTO the trailer... they provide the behind the truck vehicle trailer that you're talking about but if you do that then the car is exposed to the elements during the entire trip... also I'm not sure how likely this is when towing behind a Uhaul truck but possibly the event of a jack knife????

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Your car was exposed to the elements when it was shipped to you, it won't be a big deal to put it on a car trailer behind a UHaul truck. Car trailers are cheap to rent.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I would guess the trailer is not rated for that type of weight.

I moved from WA State to MD back in 99. I rented a 26ft Penske Truck. I backed the truck up to an outdoor loading dock and drove my S10 right in. Hit the E-Brake really hard and nailed a couple 2X4's to the floor around the wheels as an extra measure. Packed all my stuff around it and Pulled my Mustang on a flatbed trailer behind it.

Worked great but the weight was a bit much climbing some of the hills.

Also - I do not think U-Haul rents anything over a 6x12' trailer.

Last edited:

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
I would guess the trailer is not rated for that type of weight.

I moved from WA State to MD back in 99. I rented a 26ft Penske Truck. I backed the truck up to an outdoor loading dock and drove my S10 right in. Hit the E-Brake really hard and nailed a couple 2X4's to the floor around the wheels as an extra measure. Packed all my stuff around it and Pulled my Mustang on a flatbed trailer behind it.

Worked great but the weight was a bit much climbing some of the hills.

Also - I do not think U-Haul rents anything over a 6x12' trailer.

I'm actually looking at the EXACT same truck you're talking about from Penske. I just put Uhaul in the title because its more well known. That truck has a load capacity of about 8500 lbs! I'm sure its a real bitch going up slopes but I'm going VA to TX so I don't anticipate too much rough terrain.

EDIT: Penske is SO much cheaper than Uhaul its just insane!!

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
I would not trust the car without proper tie downs. The surrounding walls and air the tires down with blocks nailed into the floor is taking chances.

Would you trust this method on an open trailer?

Get it onto a proper car trailer and tow it behind the truck.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Tow companys can do a "trailer load" or whatever it's called. Load the car on the tow truck, than back it up to the rental truck. Have seen this done twice. Think it cost like $30-$50 for this 5 min service.

CDep55

Established Member
Have to do it in a truck but yeah it'll work.....Just don't tell Uhaul..lol

I have no experience with trucks, but I do with airplanes. The truck may be able to take the load weight, but can the floor handle the PSI of the tires? And every part of the floor will be different so it's pretty risky. And even if you drive it on and it seems fine, you could hit a big bump on the road or something.

I wouldnt do it.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
Tow companys can do a "trailer load" or whatever it's called. Load the car on the tow truck, than back it up to the rental truck. Have seen this done twice. Think it cost like $30-$50 for this 5 min service.

Yeah thats what I was reading on the Lotus forums, apparently those guys do this quite often with their cars.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
So what do you guys think? Car should go in first, household stuff last? Or vice versa?
truck.jpg

KB281JD

Established Member
holy shit! your putting a car inside that thing?!?! arent the floors made of plywood or something???

the12fast4u

Established Member
household car half and half ove axle,more household think of the house hold front and back like a big cushion:D

KB281JD

Established Member
do an open trailer...theres no way the truck is going to kick shit up on your car...look how far forward the wheels are...

d-nice

Established Member
The truck should be able to handle the weight of the car. I used to work in a warehouse and had to drive a forklift into trucks like this. The fork lift weighted about 2-2.5 tons and the wheels were much thinner than car tires. I would defiantly chock the tires with wood and make sure you nail them in with long nails. When you drive make sure that you leave plenty of room ahead of you, if you slam on the brakes the car can come through and make a pancake of you. Also being that i drove a truck for a while (14 years), when you are driving cross country the DOT has weight stations set up. Just make sure that you aren't over the Gross Vehicle Weight for the truck. Because this will make them want to see whats inside. Cars have gas in the tank and I think that this would be considered Hazardous materials because of the enclosed space.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Your car was exposed to the elements when it was shipped to you, it won't be a big deal to put it on a car trailer behind a UHaul truck. Car trailers are cheap to rent.

+1!

Your car is also "exposed to the elements" when you drive it. Its not the end of the world if a few bugs hit it... Or god forbid it gets rained on. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread