Traveling with a CCW

May93

Established Member
I don't think I would do anything with those two guys either, but I wouldn't let them continue carrying. They would gave to atleast lock their guns in the trunk or something similar.

There's just too much liability. What if these guys drive away and get into a shooting somewhere? Questionable or not, you may get sued by both the victim and suspect. It's not all that different than allowing someone who is intoxicated to drive off because they were right at the threshold.

Sadly enough your right on the liability part. Not sure why legislature hasn't been passed allowing on person or in car when traveling through. Of course not all states require the same amount of background searches and training to obtain a permit.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
FWIW...
FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation

MFE

Established Member
That's why I refer to the westernmost rest stop on I-10 in Arizona as the Re-Armamant Zone. While in Cali, it's unloaded, unchambered, and locked in a box. NOT the lockable glovebox or armrest, that doesn't count according to CA law. I always have a printout of the exact wording of the california statute, too, because there's history of cops in CA getting squirrely about having a loaded magazine in the same box as the gun. But as soon as I hit the border back in AZ...ahhhhhh....back on my hip.

Users who are viewing this thread