Tri-ax shifter

cobraGABE

Will work for Mods
Established Member
I am about to get a tri-ax shifter, I was wondering how difficult a job it is to install. Is there any special tools required, any good how to install descriptions. I appreciate any info.

bones

Established Member
A relatively easy job even for me with two left hands. It took longer than the 30 minutes most claim though. Make sure you have the sockets they recommend. I would also recommend an adjustable speed, reversible drill for removal of the boot plate screws. The two front ones are hard to reach with a ratchet unless you have universals. Also make sure you have some black RTV for the shifter/tranny seal and use anti seize compound when you install the knob on the Steeda handle. Trickiest part is setting the stop bolts.

Good luck & have fun. The tri-ax is worth the work.

bones

Established Member
A word about the discount. I checked on e-bay before I bought and found Thunderbolt Motorsports in south Florida. They're a major Steeda distributor. The had the tri-ax on e-bay for about $165-175. I called and asked if they would sell it to me at the e-bay asking price. No problem. Plus, I got free shipping and no tax. All you get from Steeda is 10% off their price of $199. Figure it out.

The piece from Thunderbolt was brand new, in the Steeda box and had all instructions, paperwork, etc. Just my thoughts; you make up your mind.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by bones
(snip)Trickiest part is setting the stop bolts.

I thought the T-56 has internal stops, and all you need to do is back off the Tri-Ax stops to be sure they don't interfere, and lock-tite the stop bolts.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i seriously doubt those 'stops' prevent the bending of shift forks.

tremec says all their transmissions have internal stops and we all know its pretty easy to bend shift forks on t5/tr3550/tr3650/tko.

Originally posted by harry gilbert
I thought the T-56 has internal stops, and all you need to do is back off the Tri-Ax stops to be sure they don't interfere, and lock-tite the stop bolts.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
It's easy but watch that you don't break a little clip that is on the shifter cover. I did and now I have to use towels to make it look right. Still looking for a used one. But anyways, I had the tri-ax and dislike it because of the noise issues and seemed to be alout of missed shifts and ground gears. So I swaped the steeda for the pro 50 i'll let everyone know what I think of the pro after it's install. Waiting till it gets a little warmer around here. You can get a tri-ax for very cheap like 150 bucks or less cheap. Or people on svtperformance sell their's all the time in market. Hope this helps but do the install YOUSELF and just take your time. You'll do fine :beer:

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Not hard at all. Just remember to remove the rubber boot from your stock shifter. And I recommend Iron Terps (board member) shifter gasket. Very thin but helps on the noise transmission. I also recommend the MGW handle

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by OH3Cobra
Not hard at all. Just remember to remove the rubber boot from your stock shifter. And I recommend Iron Terps (board member) shifter gasket. Very thin but helps on the noise transmission. I also recommend the MGW handle

Iron Terps did a search and came up with nothing any more info? Also MGW handle is a great buy. Just got mine for x-mas.

Brucealeg

Established Member
I had the MGW on my 01 GT and made the dealer take it off and put it on my 03 Cobra. They aren't taking that away from me. :)

Bruce

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have the Tri Ax, and assuming that you have all of your tools together, it shouldn't take you longer than 45 min. taking your time. It is extremely easy to install, and takes no special tools.

For those of your with noise problems, setting the stops with a business card works well (for the gap).

Also, NAPA has a gasket materail that is available in sheets and can easily be cut for the gasket, as opposed to just silicone. This takes a little extra time, but it did help the gear noise from coming through.

I also put some heat shielded insulation over the factory boot, this helps even more. Street rodders use it all the time, and it seems that most interior shops have it too. The stuff is basicall bubble wrap that has foil on both sides.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Used a silicon rubber gasket material recommended by Tim Probst. Have enough left over for one more install...... PM me.

cobraGABE

Will work for Mods
Established Member
Thanks for all of the replies, it looks like a fairly simple job. There is a local store selling for 175, what is the price others have paid.
By the way an MGW is just the handle not the shifter.

cobraGABE

Will work for Mods
Established Member
Originally posted by DSG03Snake
IM a mechanical retard and the Tri-Ax was the first mod I ever did myself, If I can do it YOU CAN. Trust me.

DSG03Snake do you like your Kenny Brown subs; Subs will be next after the Tri-Ax.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've had my Steeda in and out three times. I think the last attempt took me a total of about 15 minutes total. Piece of cake. Just follow the instructions. Oh, and make sure the engraving on the base goes to the REAR and not the front. They don't tell you that in the instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread