Triax Guys : Noise

nuxx

Established Member
Well Dave (03Sssnake) and I have come to the conclusion that the noise I'm hearing at high RPM (5000+) in 3rd and higher gears is coming from the shifter or tranny. Dave's car has a Triax but we didn't have room to get the car up the speed last night.

The noise is almost a "wah" resonating type noise. Just wonder if any other tri-ax guys have noticed this. It's audible from outside the car as well. :shrug:

Also my triax seems to have some noises not found in Dave's. Like a "zip" noise when going through gears (2-3k RPM).

I just need to put this new tune on and get it on the dyno, so I'll convince myself it's just noise and not anything major, lol.
-Peter

Last edited:

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
If its a noise coming from just the shifter, you shouldnt be able to hear it outside the car. As for having noises like you say you have, no, i dont have anything like that. I have alot more general tranny noise(gears meshing, synchros, etc.) that i can hear in the car, but nothing like you mention.

nuxx

Established Member
What I mean is that I can hear it at high rpm with the windows down as well.
-Peter

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think the level of tranny noise varies from Cobra to Cobra. I remember the 6 speed in my '94 Z-28 was noisy, too, and yet others owners of the same car had less or in some cases almost no noise at all. I installed a brand new transmission thinking the noise would disappear but it ended up only being reduced by 50% or so. My opinion is that the shifter has nothing or little to do with the noises you are hearing. I really think its is the transmission. Mine is not quiet, mind you, but it isn't so loud that I notice it all the time.

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I think the level of tranny noise varies from Cobra to Cobra. I remember the 6 speed in my '94 Z-28 was noisy, too, and yet others owners of the same car had less or in some cases almost no noise at all. I installed a brand new transmission thinking the noise would disappear but it ended up only being reduced by 50% or so. My opinion is that the shifter has nothing or little to do with the noises you are hearing. I really think its is the transmission. Mine is not quiet, mind you, but it isn't so loud that I notice it all the time.

If i put my head near the shifter I can swear it's coming from very close to that. I need to change the tranny fluid and see if that helps.

What would overspinning the blower sound like? Also would all engine noise be a ticking (bearing, rod, etc)? This is def a "waah" resonance noise from somewhere in front of the drivers seat. It's audible over the blower as well. There is no loss in power that I can tell. I don't care if it's the tranny, just don't want it to be engine/blower.

Might also be from the new cat design I have in the brand new Bassani Xpipe with metalic cats, too many variables. :shrug:
-Peter

Last edited:

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
My Steeda shifter is so noisy, but I don't know what's normal sounding and what isn't....so I just turn up the music. :rockon:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I've mentioned this issue before. Most of the aftermarket shifters will "funnel" noise into the passenger compartment thanks to their more solid design and lack of dampening materials. If you really want to enhance the experience, bolt on the MGW T-Handle shifter knob and shifter handle. Now that's gear whine!! Just turn up the radio, you'll be fine.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
You may consider taking it back apart and make sure your tension bolts are spaced correctly. If they are too close it will rattle in the upper speeds.
I had this problem in my 03 GT I had and readjusted them and then it was fine.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
My Tri-Ax is a tad noisy in 1st, 2nd, and 5th. But, I have an MGW handle with the rubber insulator, so it helps with the noise a LOT.

If you're hearing noise OUTSIDE the car, then I'd say it's not the shifter.

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
I've mentioned this issue before. Most of the aftermarket shifters will "funnel" noise into the passenger compartment thanks to their more solid design and lack of dampening materials. If you really want to enhance the experience, bolt on the MGW T-Handle shifter knob and shifter handle. Now that's gear whine!! Just turn up the radio, you'll be fine.

Yeah a funnel noise is a good description. :beer:

I don't know if you can hear it outside the car, it would have been better for me to say you can hear it with the windows down while driving. ;-)

But in all these cars make so many noises, it's hard to tell what's normal and what's bad. Just drive it till you "know" something is wrong.
-Peter

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nuxx, it might sound like it's coming from the shifter handle if you're not using any spacer/gasket as is installed on the stock shifter. That piece actually helps to insulate the noise and prevent it from being carried into the interior of the car. When you install a solid aftermarket produce like the Pro 5.0, Tri-Ax, etc. they do not use those so it is metal on metal. No insulation mean more noise transmitted up through the handle. I've long become accustomed to the tranny noise. But there was a time when it drove me crazy. And just as Mswaim suggested, turn up the radio and a miracle occurs -- no more tranny noise. At least that is what happens on my car. LOL!

nuxx

Established Member
I did you that little gasket on the install.

I'm sure once I get the car on the dyno again the noise will magically dissapear in my head, haha.
-Peter

stang99

Put the stock shifter back on the car and see if the noise goes away. This does not take very much time at all. I recently demodded my car and I could not believe how silent and smooth everything got with the complete stock shifter assembly replacing my Tri-Ax. The Steeda is back on the car now, and, it is somewhat noisey, but, I am used to it and I don't pay any attention to it. The rattle coming from the area of the two middle heater vents bothers me a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread