trouble with nitrous

trent1000rr

Established Member
I have a nx 150 shot on my 99 cobra and I have ran 4 bottle through the car, Saturday I sprayed it and had a major backfire through the intake. It broke the hood intake pipe and blew the freeze plugs out of the intake manifold. Fuel pressure is good bottle pressure was good and both solenoids are working when I tested them on the bench today, do you guys have any suggestions or ideas to why this happens. And yes I have a window switch.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
What is your window switch at? What psi do you spray at?

Sounds like you had fuel puddling and it finally went boom.

trent1000rr

Established Member
Window switch is set at 3200 on and 6500 off. I was on the highway when I sprayed so I was around 4000 rpm when I stood on it. I pull off the fuel rail so pressure is 40 psi and as far as the fuel puddling this is the first time I have sprayed it in a couple months.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
If the system was armed and the switch is set at 3200 but you didn't "stand on it" untill 4k that's your problem. If your switch is set for 3200 you better be wide open before 3200 or you'll get this result

trent1000rr

Established Member
Explain, if I'm in the range of the window switch what difference does it make when I hit the wot switch. The window switch is only there so it dosnt activate to early or stay on too long or in case of a mechanical failure.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I think 1quick10th is assuming you didn't have a wot switch. I'm assuming you do, as not having one would be retarded. but anyways, did it backfire right away or after a little bit?

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Ok, yeah you failed to mention that you were also using a wot switch. If the car was at 4k rpm when you sprayed then there's no reason for a backfire other than the possibility of a leaking fuel solenoid.

trent1000rr

Established Member
When I hit the wot switch it stuttered for a split second and then went pow. What would be the symptoms if the fuel pump didn't keep up and sprayed all nos and little fuel.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
All nitrous and little fuel would not backfire. Backfire comes from excessive fuel puddling in the intake manifold, nitrous is a non flammable gas.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
low rpm activation can sometimes lead to the mix igniting in the intake. The motor isnt spinning fast enough to push the mixture through so whatever is left stays in the intake. Even though you have a WOT switch your activating the n20 at the split second your telling the pcm your at WOT. Id give it .5 or 1 second to compensate.

trent1000rr

Established Member
Yeah, and what would cause fuel to puddle, it was the first time I've used it in months and I tested the solenoids today and there are no leaks. Would low bottle pressure cause fuel puddling

trent1000rr

Established Member
low rpm activation can sometimes lead to the mix igniting in the intake. The motor isnt spinning fast enough to push the mixture through so whatever is left stays in the intake. Even though you have a WOT switch your activating the n20 at the split second your telling the pcm your at WOT. Id give it .5 or 1 second to compensate.

I have a msd window switch

Users who are viewing this thread