Truck and trailer thread???

Maynor

Established Member
I'm thinking a weight distributing hitch would go a long way to improving front axle steering and braking grip... At night with the lights on pointing at the sky, I'm sure the Shuttle crew appreciates the help though. ;)

Wish I had that problem. Damn nice set up. I presume it also comes with umbrella girls for the grid line up. :)

David Hester

Established Member
LOL
It has a weight distribution hitch. I pulled the thing home from Indiana without it, though. (this was taken in the front yard the next day) Dealer was supposed to have me one when we got there, but it didn't show. They finally found one, but it was getting late, so I drove home without it to make it before dark.
Wife nixed marking the box for umbrella girls when we bought it.:nono:

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Wife has her sights set on getting an Expedition 5.4l 4x4, anyone ever tow with one of these? Will be towing a 3k lb race car and supporting equipment, 18' open or 24' enclosed will likely be my next trailer of choice. Last one was a 18+4 tilt bed but some d!ckhead decided to steal it last spring. So any advice or experience towing with an Expedition would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Edit: imaretard

I cannot vouch for the newer 5.4s, but my 98 F150 4x4 with 5.4L was adequate, just not satisfying. However, the newer versions have much more power than my old truck had.

Last edited:

Maynor

Established Member
The Excusions where the Diesel based trucks using the F250/350 frame. The Expeditions using the F150 frame and only game in gas versions.

I don't have an experience in either one to help out though. Sorry.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Thanks for the correction, John. I always get those two mixed up.

Anthony - Scratch my comment, LOL. Although my experience with pre-PI 5.4s still stands.

02silverstang

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
so it looks like am the only one using a 2008 f150 crewcab to two my cars . the truck is stock besides cai , full exaust , and tune . but it seems to the job just fine i have a open 18 ft trailer with a dove tail. i use this to two my two mustangs. I have been really thinking about getting a 2009 f250 since ford does have a lot of great deals right now . you guys that have f 250 how well does it tow, what gas mileage do you get ? thanks.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It's all good. I think as long as I can fit a set of airbag helper springs onto the back axle of the Expedition it'll do alot better.
I recently installed a set on a 02 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD. The truck rides better empty and can tow heavy loads easier than before. I was suprised by how well the setup worked especially for only being $250.

Maynor

Established Member
so it looks like am the only one using a 2008 f150 crewcab to two my cars . the truck is stock besides cai , full exaust , and tune . but it seems to the job just fine i have a open 18 ft trailer with a dove tail. i use this to two my two mustangs. I have been really thinking about getting a 2009 f250 since ford does have a lot of great deals right now . you guys that have f 250 how well does it tow, what gas mileage do you get ? thanks.

My brother tows with an 05 F150 and similar trailer setup on the 5.4. Works well but struggles if left in OD on the hills. As long is OD is off, seems to do just fine.

I've got a 250 Diesel and there's no comparison (for any diesel for that matter). If Ford ever comes out with an F150 Diesel, that might the reason for me to change out at some point.

David Hester

Established Member
I've towed with a F150 and a Dodge 1500. Both did fine with 18 ft open, but both struggled with my old 24 ft Pace enclosed, plus mileage was 8 mpg on both.
I really liked my old F350 duallie Crew cab with the 460 gas, got 11 mpg without the trailer and 8-9 mpg with. Just couldn't find a parking place in town. My 2000 F-250 4X4 has a Power Stroke. 17 mpg around town, 10-11 pulling the big trailer. The 4x4 did come in handy once in Georgia when the rear of the trailer bottomed out going into a shopping center.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I have a V10 '02 F250. I am thinking about buying a used featherlite 32ft gooseneck.
Anyone have experience with this package?

drudis

Established Member
My F150 4.6L and 2200# open trailer get a low of 12.7mpg at 75+mph, to consistent 14.3-14.5mpg at 65-68mph (sweet spot).

img_1089.jpg

brkntrxn

Established Member
Well, after borrowing trailers for a couple of years, I finally got really serious about buying one. I had a deal going on a 34' North Alabama gooseneck until I realized late one afternoon that there was no way in heck I was going to be able to turn around in my cul de sac with it. The prospect of backing down my street for about 175 yards each and every time I wanted to use the trailer just didn't seem like a fun time.

I was able to work out a group buy with three other friends and Kaufman Trailers. They are over in Lexington, NC and make the trailers on-site. Three of us got 18's and the fourth got a 16'. My 18' was just under $2500 with the discounts I was able to negotiate for all of us.

Here are the specs:

18' open
2' dovetail
3500lb axles
single axle brakes
diamond plate surface
deluxe package - upgraded C channel deck structure (vs angle), support strips under deck surface and side rails on both sides
removable driver's side fender
6 foot mesh lined ramps (vs 5ft unlined ramps)
Spare wheel and tire
standard break-away brake controller
silver wheels (should look better for longer I think)
6 d-rings

I'd show you all the pictures I took while positioning the car and drop hitches to figure out where everything needed to be in order to run straight and level. Unfortunately, the camera did not have the memory card inserted.... :fm::cuss:

I did find it suprisingly nice that my driver door will open even with the fender still on the trailer (H&R race springs on the car and 275/40/17 slicks). It probably wouldn't clear for anyone heavier than 200lbs, but easy enough to remove. My diff cooler on the rear and the front fascia clear everything with the extended ramps.

So, here's a pic as it sits in the driveway. I have to tow my buddy's car about 110 miles on Tuesday to the tuner and next weekend I will be taking it to Roebling Road and back for an event. I'll be able to provide towing feedback then.

IMG_7758.jpg

Maynor

Established Member
Nice looking trailer! 2 5/16th ball hitch or 2"? Pricing with all those options is very, very good for a new trailer much less one with 6' ramps.

Why didn't you go with brakes on both axles? The safety factor with more stopping power plus redundancy in case of one brake failing for whatever reason, is pretty nice..

You're lucky your door clears without removing the fender. Mine did for the first few months but then sagged just enough to require removing the fender for loading/unloading.

One recommendation: Put some reflective red/white DOT stickers down the sides of the trailer. It will make a big difference at night if you ever have to park on the street or even going down the highway at night with cross traffic. Believe it or not, I've had cars just miss me (trailering empty) more than once.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
Good points, John. It has a 2 5/16 ball. As for the brakes, their 8k trailer comes standard with brakes on both 4k axles, the 7k trailer only comes with brakes on one 3.5k axle. I could have upgraded, it was about $120. Probably money well spent, but I was looking to get in under 2500 (spent money like water this week: trailer, roll bar, harnesses, etc). I have towed with a couple of single brake trailers in the past and haven't had any trouble... of course, it only takes once for the trailer to swap ends on you, so I will keep that in mind.

As for the ramps, two of the other guys (a Z06 and an NSX) thought of it to help their front fascia clear and I added to mine as well.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Good points, John. It has a 2 5/16 ball. As for the brakes, their 8k trailer comes standard with brakes on both 4k axles, the 7k trailer only comes with brakes on one 3.5k axle. I could have upgraded, it was about $120. Probably money well spent, but I was looking to get in under 2500 (spent money like water this week: trailer, roll bar, harnesses, etc). I have towed with a couple of single brake trailers in the past and haven't had any trouble... of course, it only takes once for the trailer to swap ends on you, so I will keep that in mind.

Win at Powerball? :D

Maynor

Established Member
Ahh, the safety spend... like water is right!

Roll bar, harness and (in my case), race seats and HANS device were added to the car this past winter... The dough does add up fast. I really wish i did the seats earlier. What a huge difference they made last week at VIR. The strapping in PROCESS is critical. Forget your keys in your pocket? Unbuckle and start over. Forget to close the door? Unbuckle and start over. Etc, etc.

Trailers are a nice peace of mind mod though..

brkntrxn

Established Member
The strapping in PROCESS is critical. Forget your keys in your pocket? Unbuckle and start over. Forget to close the door? Unbuckle and start over. Etc, etc.
You forgot two that always seem to happen to me:

- Leave your gloves on the dash and can't reach them? Start over.

- Leave your sunglasses on the dash and can't reach them? Start over.

Maynor

Established Member
LOL. Yep, those two as well.

That was the short list. Another one: Back out of your paddock spot BEFORE connecting the HANS device so you can still turn your head and see whats behind you..

Users who are viewing this thread