Truck went KABOOM today.......

richh

Established Member
Well, just got a new tune in the truck and running 12's. A friend and I were heading to a local car show today and as I start to head up this hill, I eased into the gas at half throttle, truck down shifted- and KABOOOOOOOOM.............. Oil and smoke everywhere. It is only from the Drivers side, no oil at all on the passenger side. I am saving for a JLP Short Block here in the next month, but can anyone come up with an idea of what could of caused it, I wasnt even at WOT.....

THanks,

Rich

:mj:

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That blows....literally. What exactly were your mods, tune, and driving habbits like. I have done a lot of research on this topic and it seems that the guys that are driving these things less than once a week are blowing up a lot more than the daily drivers.

Jesse

supragod98

Established Member
PimpRohr said:
That blows....literally. What exactly were your mods, tune, and driving habbits like. I have done a lot of research on this topic and it seems that the guys that are driving these things less than once a week are blowing up a lot more than the daily drivers.

Jesse
So if you dont use your L as a DD its more likely to go Kaboom? I dont use my L as a DD so I'm interested to know why.

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I don't know why, but i have been asking around on all the forums and it seems more of them that granaded have been garage kept vehicles driven about 1 time every two weeks....Thats my research as of yet...

Jesse

supragod98

Established Member
Jesse, so no idea as to why? It kind of scares me that I'm going to do my mods and have my motor say bye bye cause I only use my L on the weekends.

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
supragod98 said:
Jesse, so no idea as to why? It kind of scares me that I'm going to do my mods and have my motor say bye bye cause I only use my L on the weekends.

When I had my quickest 5.0 the guy who built the engine for me told me start it EVERY OTHER day and no less and let it circulate the oil a keep the rod bearings and pins nice and lubed up. I would start it just about every day and let it idle for about 20 mins just to be on the safe side. The guy was right though. My buddy let his car sit for about 4 weeks and fired it up one day and we went cruising up to a car show. We pulled up to a light, take in mind that both of these cars were low ten second rides, and we hammered on them alittle bit and his threw a rod at the 1-2 shift. The builder tore it down and asked him if hed been letting his run every couple days and he said no....he thumped the broken pin up on the counter and showed him that it wasn't properly lubed and showed him all the heat marks on the other pieces of the engine. My theory is strictly that...a theory but I am noticing a correlation between DD and garage kept trucks.

Jesse

supragod98

Established Member
Cause as much fun as it is to drive I hate traffic!!! So does my L. About 8 MPG and at 2.55 a gallon I cant afford to drive every day.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
wow no kiddin :eek: thats crazy
there has to be a way to prime up the system for those of us who dont drive in the winter or that isnt a DD

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Wow, gas isn't that bad here. I get around 275 out of my tank and they are all in town miles. I got 330 out of a tank before on the way to FL.

richh

Established Member
My thread got hijacked.........................

I drive mine as a DD and weekend track runs.

4 lower, 2.8 upper
FTVB, w/4x4pan
C&L upper intake and elbow,
Accufab TB
Motoblue CAI
Mac Cat Back
Predator Tune from James@RWTD

richh

Established Member
Also, looked under the truck and cannot see any holes anywhere yet. Is it possible that an oil filter to lose the seal and spray oil out?

supragod98

Established Member
silverbolt01 said:
My thread got hijacked.........................

I drive mine as a DD and weekend track runs.

4 lower, 2.8 upper
FTVB, w/4x4pan
C&L upper intake and elbow,
Accufab TB
Motoblue CAI
Mac Cat Back
Predator Tune from James@RWTD
Sorry about that. :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread