Truck went KABOOM today.......

richh

Established Member
Thanks Shawn, my truck was running great all week with the new tune and all, I think the drastic drop in temp had alot to do with it also, maybe just my engines time to go, she had 74k on her........ Im looking into some short blocks now and a possible head port.

CCCSVT

Established Member
As far as garage kept vehicles blowing more than daily drivers, my guess would be that a daily driver probably isn't modded as heavily as one that doesn't leave the garage very often. The latter is probably more like a project or hobby. The daily driver does get started and lubed more frequently, so the matter of inner component lubrication makes sense. My guess is that its a combination of the two, but then again what the hell do I know.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
PimpRohr said:
why buy one of these trucks and not drive it anyways??? :shrug:

well in my case its a weekend and "pleasure" vehicle that I can haul things with when necessary. I would never drive it to work daily and leave it parked where it could get dings, broken into, or molested.... I bought an '86 tempo for that reason. has a 2 knob radio in it and 4 doors can leave it unlocked and nobody messes with it.

sorry to hear about your truck too.. I hope it has nothing to do wtih not driving it alot, as I drive mine on weekends and it has been known to sit weeks at a time..

Last edited:

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
I think you guys are missing the point. This guy just got a new tune and all the sudden his engine blows. Pretty obvious to me. New tune/bad tune, cold weather, and detention=BOOM

Craig Mack

Lightning > Cobra > Max
Established Member
It kind of pisses me off that these engines can't handle more than 450rwhp long term with the stock long block. Why did Ford make the Cobra engine soo bulletproof, yet get kinda lazy on the Lightning?? You'd think that they would beef the hell outta motors they supercharged from the factory. Before I got my Lightning and did my research I always thought the Lightning motors were as stout as the Cobra motors. Little did I know I was way off.

DailyBlown

Established Member
I am not an expert by any means, but isn't there something carb build up or something....A friend of mine told me that sports cars (and I am assuming trucks too) need to be driven fast every now and then...

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
From research ive done, if runnin more than 12-13psi you should upgrade ignition and fuel systems because a good tune cant do it all and low temp does play a big part, horsepower alone is not the corprate over 450RWHP is no problem if at least the following is done: a kenne bell boost-a-pump & boost-a-spark, this is recomended after 10psi for proper fuel pressure and spark and no it doesnt have to be kenne bell that is just my personal preference.

With out this simple and not to expensive upgrade, over around 12psi detonation is pertty much inevitable all it takes is one bad day, temp 1 degree to low, 1psi peek, exc...

There is alot more behind this but I dont know all the details, but form me this upgrade is a small price to pay for security. Most of the people that I have talked to about blowing there block all faild to do this simple upgrade.

richh

Established Member
Chill Factor, I will give you a buzz this morning. On my next one, I was planning on getting both the boost a-pump and boost -spark along with new coils and plugs.

richh

Established Member
I am blaming myself, I should of took the the tempature drop in consideration and pulled timming and added fuel.

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Silverbolt...did you ever turn it over to see if she'll fire up? Then do a compression check and all that good stuff. With no visible holes i am puzzled.

Jesse

tman701

Established Member
Hmmm.... interesting! I never thought to ask about this. When i had my RX-7 we were always worried about our injectors/Fuel pumps maxing out.
Do we know what our injector duty cycles are on modded engines?
What about our fuel pump flow rates?

I dont think ive ever seen a post about that? Can you even tell the injector duty cycle with the predator or SCT?

SVTFREEK said:
From research ive done, if runnin more than 12-13psi you should upgrade ignition and fuel systems because a good tune cant do it all and low temp does play a big part, horsepower alone is not the corprate over 450RWHP is no problem if at least the following is done: a kenne bell boost-a-pump & boost-a-spark, this is recomended after 10psi for proper fuel pressure and spark and no it doesnt have to be kenne bell that is just my personal preference.

With out this simple and not to expensive upgrade, over around 12psi detonation is pertty much inevitable all it takes is one bad day, temp 1 degree to low, 1psi peek, exc...

There is alot more behind this but I dont know all the details, but form me this upgrade is a small price to pay for security. Most of the people that I have talked to about blowing there block all faild to do this simple upgrade.

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
maybe runnin lean??
detonation??
i dunno :shrug:

hope you get a built engine soon!!

richh

Established Member
Chill Factor,

I tried to call this morning with no luck, my phone get crappy reception here at hood. I will try again in the morning, thanks for your help.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread