Trucks on Spike TV today

Jamie R.

Established Member
Trucks on Spike T.V. today will feature a First gen Lightning vs a 454SS!!

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
What was more impressive then the horsepower was the lightning made more torque and it's 103 cubic inches less

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
That was a cool ass episode. Best Trucks Ive seen in awhile. I always wanted to see those two go at it. It seems the only advantage the SS has is that it can be purchased for cheaper....thats about it LOL. I do like both of them though. I would prefer teh L, it looks alot better. Im very curious to see how they stack up when the modding begins.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Actually I think the Lightning's can be bought cheaper. When I bought my '93 Lightning I checked on some 454SS's and they seemed to be generally higher priced than the Ford. Things might have changed since then. I have the episode on DVR:burnout::thumbsup: Best Trucks I've seen in a while!!!! I can't wait for the next episode. I was also surprised the Ford could make more torque than the Chevy!!

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

KduncSS

Established Member
I dont know, I have seen some SS trucks in the 110-120k mile range in pretty good shape go for CHEAP. I think the main reason, and they even mentioned this in the show, is that there were more SS trucks built over a longer period of time. Its just a better chance of finding a good deal. Even still, I would buy a Lightning. My first vehicle was a 94 F150 with a 5.0, and I always wished it was an L. I got one eventually but it was a Gen 2.

KduncSS

Established Member
Lightning= 224 RWHP 303(I think) RWTQ

SS 454= 198 RWHP(Or close) 29x RWTQ

The L wasnt 100% stock, the SS was. The L had no cats on the exhaust and an MSD dis. from what I remember, not much but worth a couple of ponies Im sure.

jfsram

Established Member
You guys do understand the Lightning is a 351 with special heads and an intake. GT40.

The 454SS is just the opposite. A big short block with peanut ports and throttle body injection.

I don't know what's in store of mods but if the Trucks dude change the intake and heads, it's all over for the Ford.

I'm just stewing because they didn't invite me with my truck.
It's just a pile of used junk but it represents the era.

It's an 87 Ram with a 5.9L Magnum and a 5 spd.
Doesn't have the popularity of the L and the SS but it's right in their face with a high 14 time slip.

753012_11.jpg

KduncSS

Established Member
Well since this is the Gen 1 Lightning section, and almost everyone that posted owns a Gen 1 Lightning.....it is safe to assume they know that their trucks have special heads and an intake. It doesent matter, since they were testing the trucks STOCK that episode. The L is obviously superior in stock trim. I do agree that the SS has more potential, but I dont think that L will be too far behind once the mods start.

KduncSS

Established Member
Seems like a decent setup on the 454. I cant wait to here that cam'd big block....:burnout:

What will they do to the L I wonder. Cant wait to see

Users who are viewing this thread