True-Trac or Ford racing Trak lock?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
So my factory differential in my GT is wore out, which I knew was coming with drag radials and constant beatings. It's time to rebuild the rear end, and I'd like to do it right the first time. I'm torn between the eaton Detroit true-trac unit and the stock 03/04 cobra differential. Obviously there is a big price difference between the two, and clearly the factory cobra piece is a good unit. So for those of you who drag race regularly or drive your cars hard what do you think is my best bet? Are those of you who went to the Detroit unit that much more happy with it than the stock differential?

-Car is not a dd, and only gets driven on the weekends.

-Car will have 3.73's, moser 31 spline axles, and drag radials all the time.

-Gets a lot of street miles but will go to the track at least once a month where I want it to really perform.

I've found some info, most of it seemed to be relatively old concerning this topic and as time goes on that could obviously dictate someone's decision on this. So your thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited:

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I went with the true trac after my trac lock went out,never did a one wheel peel again!

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I went with the true trac after my trac lock went out,never did a one wheel peel again!

And you being 200 more horsepower than myself that's what I like to hear!

How long have you been using your true trac? Any complaints?

Last edited:

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Love it no clutch packs to out,drives like stock.its only been in for 1 1/2 years but around 8 1/4 mile passes!

Tractionless1

Established Member
If i start out from a standstill with the front wheels turned I'll get a bump from the Detroit TT, other than that silent. I'm also running synthetic fluid whereas the manufacturer recommends dino to cut down on noise. Considering my only noise is as described above I stick with the synthetic; however, the dino may remedy the situation.

TonyG2

Established Member
My 31 spline trac loc was fine for me until I reached about 600 rwhp. I just rebuilt it every two seasons or so. Rebuild kits are only $60. I'm one of the people with a noisy trutrac, so I'm a little hesitant about recommending one b/c the noise is a little annoying on the street. I'm tempted to go back to a tracloc or an Eaton LSD

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
I just upgraded to a tru-trac, my stock diff held the past 4 years no issues tho about 50 track passes on it, all of last year on 675hp-735hp on 4500rpm clutch dumps. Was worried so I just choose to replace it with something stronger

Tractionless1

Established Member
I just upgraded to a tru-trac, my stock diff held the past 4 years no issues tho about 50 track passes on it, all of last year on 675hp-735hp on 4500rpm clutch dumps. Was worried so I just choose to replace it with something stronger

I've seen guys having to rebuild as much as every 25 passes. When my diff. cover was leaking I tore that stock crap out and built the entire unit to survive anything that I'd ever choose to throw at it.

04cobra88

Established Member
Hey guys I'm in the process of doing a total irs overhaul , I was at the track launched at 4500 rpm with 28" slicks and soon as I hit second gear it started clunking on the tow back to the car the rear locked up , so I'm just going to replace it

My car is not a d just a cruiser on nice days and take it to the track when I can , putting out at least 650 rwhp at the moment

So looks like the Eaton true Trac is a better option for me over a ford racing unit ?

bubblehead93

Established Member
i started same boat, finally after enough 1320 passes the trac-loc became an open... went with a Detroit locker... while a great sra diff, I would not recommend it for an irs, was out screwing around on some drag radials w/low air pressure, wheel hopped, started getting some grinding noise... all the little teeth and springs in their, particulate... i'll rebuild it some day... now I have a true-trac... auto-x it, drag it... it takes it all, including 4300 rpm clutch dumps on 28" slicks... get one, don't look back...

r/
Andy

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Trutrac here. Over 500wtq, even auburns and torsens start having issues, really the only durable choices are lockers (sra only) and trutracs.

Mine is quiet, my exhaust isn't defening, and actually is super quiet with dumps closed, can't hear the diff at all. Maybe I'm deaf to it.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Since you are going to hit the strip once a month I would get the trutrac. It will hold the abuse better than the trak lock

71catruck

Established Member
I have had my true track for a few years now and love it. I will agree with everything said above but also have a little to add. As you can see in my sig the car is set up for handling not the strip. With the stock diff if it started to lock up going around an on ramp the back of the car would snap loss. The true trac is a gradual smooth engagement.

04cobra88

Established Member
Well I guess that settles it , been trying to make up my mine I'm going to do the Eaton true Trac and some ford oem 373s , anything else anyone recommends while I have it apart ?

Getting the ftb bushing kit , cross axis joints new rear cover , sump steer kit ...pretty much cover everything ?

Possible I may do rear coil overs or just do adjustable shocks not sure yet

TVSCobra

Established Member
I have had the trutrac and the tracklock in my cobra and my previous GT. The trutrac is a great unit, but this time I'm going to go with a Torsen T2R with 373 gears. I'm about to start assembly soon. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Most people recommend against drag racing with the Torsen, however there are a lot of people who do drag race with it. The Torsen doesn't like being shock loaded.

The Torsen and the Detriot trutrac are similar in design, gear to gear differentials.

TonyG2

Established Member
My 31 spline trac loc was fine for me until I reached about 600 rwhp. I just rebuilt it every two seasons or so. Rebuild kits are only $60. I'm one of the people with a noisy trutrac, so I'm a little hesitant about recommending one b/c the noise is a little annoying on the street. I'm tempted to go back to a tracloc or an Eaton LSD

I should update this previous post of mine...the Truetrac noise completely vanished after I switched from UCA's with spherical bushings (Baseline) to UCA's with poly (Steeda). Night and day difference. I'm a happy camper now.

If anyone wants to buy a Baseline Prolaunch 2 kit , let me know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread