trufiber venom ram air hood

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Spawn, any pics of your buddy's car with the hood up showing the receiver unit for the hood pins he used?

There the ones in the photo, the wire with coil ends. you screw those in the core support and the twist locks grab those. you don't use the black angle brackets as those were for the original 68 KR's as are those twist locks. Those are replacement units for the original 68 cars. and the core bracket needed the angular extensions to use the locks.

Blaine

Established Member
Spawn, any pics of your buddy's car with the hood up showing the receiver unit for the hood pins he used?

Same anyone have some pics for this? Wanting to get his done, but the receiver unit in the yellow car above looks nothing like the ones that Branda Sells.

Last edited:

fordtexasracing

i just got the super snake hood in from shelby last week for my '08, and didn't realize it was a non-functional hood until i opened it up. i paid $288 to send it back. supposedly it was too much air for the car when they started putting these on the '07s i think. it was shutting the motor down at high speeds, something about open loop something or other. they told me i could drill it, but for what i paid for it, i expected a functional ram air hood. it weighs a ton compared to the stock hood and was pretty rough in areas. i was very interested in the trufiber hood until reading this thread. i think i'll wait a little while before getting a new hood.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
i have a tru fiber hood and couldnt be happier with the quality and fit and finish. I even got some copliments from the body shop guys saying it was one of the best fiber glass hoods theyve seen

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
i just got the super snake hood in from shelby last week for my '08, and didn't realize it was a non-functional hood until i opened it up. i paid $288 to send it back. supposedly it was too much air for the car when they started putting these on the '07s i think. it was shutting the motor down at high speeds, something about open loop something or other. they told me i could drill it, but for what i paid for it, i expected a functional ram air hood. it weighs a ton compared to the stock hood and was pretty rough in areas. i was very interested in the trufiber hood until reading this thread. i think i'll wait a little while before getting a new hood.

..........and the True Fiber hood has the same big opening over the CAI as the first design Super Snake hood did, before the updates........has anyone taken their 700+ hp GT500 through 6th gear to top speed and then come back down off of that high speed run to see if the TF hood also has this problem of "blowing out the candle", as they called it back then? <This is how the problem was identified on the earliest Super Snake hood, a 725 Super Snake owner "seeing what it would do" on a top speed run in South Florida. I can add the video showing this run, and the different "fixes" to the functional hoods until they went non-functional.

The TF hood looks the same as the earliest Shelby Super Snake hood in the CAI area and could very easily have the same problem? :shrug:

R

Last edited:

fordtexasracing

..........and the True Fiber hood has the same big opening over the CAI as the first design Super Snake hood did, before the updates........has anyone taken their 700+ hp GT500 through 6th gear to top speed and then come back down off of that high speed run to see if the TF hood also has this problem of "blowing out the candle", as they called it back then? <This is how the problem was identified on the earliest Super Snake hood, a 725 Super Snake owner "seeing what it would do" on a top speed run in South Florida. I can add the video showing this run, and the different "fixes" to the functional hoods until they went non-functional.

The TF hood looks the same as the earliest Shelby Super Snake hood in the CAI area and could very easily have the same problem? :shrug:

R

the mods i have sitting around the living room should only put me over 600rwhp. it will probably be awhile before i'm over 700. i doubt if i'll be opening it up very much for top end though. my main goal is better 1/4 mile times, so i guess the "blowing out the candle" won't be an issue any time soon. i am interested in seeing the "fixes" they attempted before going non-functional though.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
the mods i have sitting around the living room should only put me over 600rwhp. it will probably be awhile before i'm over 700. i doubt if i'll be opening it up very much for top end though. my main goal is better 1/4 mile times, so i guess the "blowing out the candle" won't be an issue any time soon. i am interested in seeing the "fixes" they attempted before going non-functional though.

^^^I know, everyone (or many) talk about the earliest Super Snake hood and it's issues without realizing the TF hood is the same design and quite possibly would do the same thing.........but no one that I know of has tested it in the same way that caused the problem with the earliest design Super Snake hood. After the revisions to the original hood, there were no issues. First a multi-hole baffle/plate was attached covering the "big hole" over the CAI, then the baffling was incorporated into the hood structure, and then the amount of holes was changed to the final design, before the hood went non-functional.

One issue I heard related to the hood going non-functional was the situation of getting caught in a rain storm........where does the water go that is forced into the hood openings? It goes right to the CAI and the engine possibly sucks in the water. <<This is the case with any hood of this type and is not limited to the Super Snake hood, if there is not channeling to divert the water elsewhere.

When Shelby builds a Super Snake, they can't expect the owner to limit their driving to "fair weather" only, and if water is being dumped over the CAI......and it causes issues, who is the owner going to blame?

R

Last edited:

BilletProShop

Established Member
i have a tru fiber hood and couldnt be happier with the quality and fit and finish. I even got some copliments from the body shop guys saying it was one of the best fiber glass hoods theyve seen

guess you got lucky !!!,
i personally bought a couple of these for customers and they all required extensive prep work

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I looked at Venom but ended up going with the Black Mamba because I thought it was better built.

I took a chance and had the shop paint my stripes. When I walked up to it for the first time I could not have imagined they could have done such a great job. Everybody that has looked at it said they could not tell the painted stripes from the vinyl stripes especially on the front where they are adjacent to each other. The only way you can tell other than getting right up to them is by feel with the painted stripes covered with clear coat you can not feel them.

The photos do not do it justice. It still has a lot of rubbing compound on it. From the front it looks pure mean. It gets way too much attention now.

HOOD_2.gif

HOOD_1.gif

HOOD_3.gif

Last edited:

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
Hey so for all of those with a functional ram air hold (TF, SS, etc), has anyone rum into issues with rain water being sucked into the intake? What are the dangers involved or has anyone come up with a DYI way of fixing the problem if it is one?

I'm highly considering getting one of these hoods this year be it TF or otherwise.

Thanks

Chris

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread