trufiber venom ram air hood

nos1

Established Member
hi everyone,i am thinking about buying a trufiber venom hood pt# tf10024-a53 for my 2008 gt500 and i am looking for any comments about this hood be them good or bad and how is there customer service.thanks in advance for any comments.Dave

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
jcthorne is the master when it comes to this hood, he put some extra prep and modifications into it for the Vents and Twist Locks:

The hool locks are available from Tony Branda, the hood itself is a TruFiber Venom that has been modified to more closely resemble the real KR. Here are some photos:

2923354117_9407cde3c1_b.jpg

2923358669_dd0c8ec184_b.jpg

and here is a link to the album if anyone would like to see a few more of the car and its mods:

Shelby Mods - a set on Flickr

Blaine

Established Member
WHat hood pins is he using? Are they the ones you can get from Cervini's? Or is there another place you can get them? I am going to go ahead and purchase the True Fiber Hood very soon.

The hood he has look really good.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
WHat hood pins is he using? Are they the ones you can get from Cervini's? Or is there another place you can get them? I am going to go ahead and purchase the True Fiber Hood very soon.

The hood he has look really good.

It's mentioned in the quote above, "Tony Branda": Tony Branda Mustang Parts Shelby Parts Cobra Parts

Check with jcthorne as to which kit specifically it is.

Intruder

Established Member
hi everyone,i am thinking about buying a trufiber venom hood pt# tf10024-a53 for my 2008 gt500 and i am looking for any comments about this hood be them good or bad and how is there customer service.thanks in advance for any comments.Dave

I wouldn't, yet. The twist pin location in the hood does not mesh well with the rad support, and though you can order the 68 KR hood pins, there is no known receiver units that work with the Shelbys. The primitive ones I've seen require cutting/drilling and look like ass in my opinion. I've asked Trufiber to comment but they never have.

If they came up with a receiver that looked like the KR's and located the hood pins in a sensible location, I would buy this hood the same day.

Last edited:

TexasShelby

Established Member
Here's a shot of the receiver for the hood pin.

But wasn't there some issue with the ram air working correctly with kits like the JLT CAIs? Or more mod work or something. I remember one early on TS member spent like almost 3K by the time it was on. That's just insane to have to prep a brand new hood that much.

95_5_.jpg

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
The amount of prep, repair etc this hood required by the time it was done was extreame. If I had known going in that I was going to spend in excess of $5000 to change the hood, I never would have.

Yes I used the 68KR twist locks including the 68 recievers, cut and moulded them into the radiator support. Look fine but a bunch of work. Definatly not bolt on.

Now that the hood has been on for about a year, the glass weave is showing through the gel coat/paint. The surface was glass smooth when installed but not any more. Its glass chemistry problems. There really needs to be another answer for this style hood or TruFiber really needs to step up the QC and stand behind the products they arlready shipped.

I am betting this hood will get replaced on my car at some point. It continues to get worse.

You pays your money, you takes your chances......

Intruder

Established Member
Here's a shot of the receiver for the hood pin.

But wasn't there some issue with the ram air working correctly with kits like the JLT CAIs? Or more mod work or something. I remember one early on TS member spent like almost 3K by the time it was on. That's just insane to have to prep a brand new hood that much.

95_5_.jpg

Ok nice receiver. The MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION that seems to be the MOST difficult for people to answer..... did you fab those up your self or did you purchase those? From where? Any more pics of the twist pins themselves from the underside of the hood? They look a lot like the KR's receivers, but I can't understand how they work with the large center holes and the slim diameter of the pins. Basically, please discuss with pictures if possible, your whole set-up. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

skyhighsd

Established Member
Didnt they release a new verison that is "better" than the original one ? I didnt think the early ones had the cut out for the twist locks. There have been others on different sites that have bought new ones and said there was no real issue with them anymore:shrug:

Blaine

Established Member
So in summary, the Truefiber hoods is a Piece Crap and needs thousands of dollars in prep and labor to get it to look good. :nonono: Okay...

What about the Super Snake hood available from Shelby? Everything I received from shelby so far has been perfect?

And I am guessing the stripes on the hood are painted? or is there a stripe kit u can get for it. Cervinis has a GT500 strip kit, but I wouldn't imagine this would fit the KR or Supersnake hood.

skyhighsd

Established Member
So in summary, the Truefiber hoods is a Piece Crap and needs thousands of dollars in prep and labor to get it to look good. :nonono: Okay...

What about the Super Snake hood available from Shelby? Everything I received from shelby so far has been perfect?

The same is said about the SS hood

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Ok a buddy of mine just got the new revised Truefiber hood and it didnt need any extream prep.
Second I have seen a SS hood on a real SS and it looked like shit. The snorkel holes looked like they were trimed with a jig saw and never sanded and that was the way Shelby sent the car. The SS ram air isnt functional. You have to drill holes in a plastic piece to give it what you think is the right amount of air to the filter.

The twist locks look identical as a KR from what I have seen. you just dont need the black brakets

These are used on the Truefiber hood. My buddy put a full 500 nose on his GT and got the truefiber hood. The only problem he had was when they wet sanded the hood it was torch red and they got into the white primer in a few spots so they have to repaint it.
IMG_7441.jpg

Intruder

Established Member
Spawn, any pics of your buddy's car with the hood up showing the receiver unit for the hood pins he used?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Cliff notes:

Aftermarket hoods for the GT500 are pieces of crap.

Check back in a year to see if the "new" hoods are also pieces of crap as it could take that long for the defects to show.

If you still want to buy one, just go ahead and bend over...makes it easier for the hood delivery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread