Trunk Lid Liner Up Close Pics

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
For those of you requesting close up pics of my trunk lid liner project.....her they are.

Couple of things......first thanks for the compliments in the other thread.

second....unfortunately I do not have the time to right now due to work demand to put together a group buy or produce these for anyone.....I wish I could......but I can't.

Here is the best I can do for everyone:

The company that has the Cobra and the text in their system is: American Branding Wearables. Location: Houston, Texas. You will need to contact information to reach them as I do not want to post her Cell Phone. Ask for Soraya. She has first hand knowledge of my project. Keep in mind they are a shirt embroidery company.....they are not used to dealing with car projects. The owners are from Columbia. They speak English.....but be clear in your communications. They are VERY detail oriented and produce GREAT products if you let them know exactly what you want. I am pretty sure that if you want exactly what I have just changing the numbers.....you will avoid set up charges.

Carpet.....you will need a piece 24" x 48". Go to your local trim shop and look through their samples.....it is Ford Gray Trunk Carpet. They have a couple of shades.....I believe it is the darker one. You should be able to mail ABW your carpet and tell them you want with regards to the Cobra and lettering.

Plywood......I started with a piece of 24" x 48" x 3/8"

The plastic retainers I used were from Advance Auto Parts. They were a GM part.....1/4" by about 2" with a flat plastice head. I had to have them order more for me as they only had two packs on the shelf.....they come pack two....I used 14.

The template.......I started with several sheets of posterboard taped together that was about 44" long and about 18" tall. I took toothpaste and outlined my trunk where I wanted the liner. I carefully pushed the paper up against the toothpaste to get a general outline. I had to wipe and repeat a couple times as I trimed the paper and honed the size in to what I wanted. It is easier to take off a little bit of paper several times than to over cut a corner and have to start over. Once the paper was the correct shape I transfered it to the wood and cut it out with a jig saw. I lightly rounded the edge with a wood file to give it a nice radius.

Holding the wood in place I took a Sharpie and marked the wood by pulling it out and peaking behind it to locate where the holes would be for drilling. I tried to select large flat areas on the underside of the trunk and estimated the middle of the area and marked the board in a corresponding location. Again I marked 14 holes. I drilled the holes with a 1/4" bit in the wood ONLY at this time. Then with the assistance of a couple of people....have them hold the board in place while you drill the first hole through the hole in the wood and into the underside of the trunk lid....note it is fiberglass on the underside of the trunk lid. After I drilled the first hole.....I put a 10/24 bolt in it. Then went to the opposite side and drilled through another hole in the wood into the trunk lid......then put another bolt in that hole.....these bolts are to keep it aligned while you drill the holes. I repeated this all 14 holes.

Now take the wood off and carefully with a 1" paddle bit.....drill into the 14 holes in the wood about 1/32" deep for the head of the plastic retainer to recess so it does not protrude through the carpet.

Stick your 14 plastic retainers through the wood. Place the carpet over the wood....and center the Cobra. I used a straight edge clamped to the flat of the top of the wood for a guide to measure each end of the letter to ensure it was level. With the carpet laying on top......fold 1/2 of it back exposing the wood and 1/2 of the back of the carpet. Spray both surfaces with a 3M spray adhesive and let set for about 3 minutes.....place the carpet back down and smooth it out.....repeat for the other 1/2 of the carpet.

Once the carpet is glued....turn it upside down on a clean surface and staple it to the wood using 1/4" staples. after stapling the carpet.....I tapped them with a hammer to ensure they were in.

Now you are ready to place it in your trunk.....go SLOW....at first the retainers may try to back out.....just push them all in slowly and work all of them at the same depth until they are completely in.

Hope this helps.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Looks awesome, but out of curiosity how come you did not put your build number on it?

vickerw

Established Member
John, I think it is on your SVT certificate if you have one. Cause when I had my Terminator tags made, this is where I got all my information from to send the guy.

Last edited:

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
Numbers

John, I think it is on your SVT certificate if you have one. Cause when I had my Terminator tags made, this is where I got all my information from to send the guy.

The SVT Certificate tells how many 03's were built. The number I am reflecting is how many '03 DSG Verts were made. I was never able to determine what build I was of that group.

vickerw

Established Member
I am in the works of doing this now. I got the leftover carpet off the OP & am about to tackle this. I live by Houston so I am able to take mine to the place that did his embroidering. I will post pics when I get mine complete, just been real busy with work & what not. I am not sure if John, (OP) that made these, gets on here very much cause I PM'ed him awhile back & he hasn't responded yet. He doesnt have the time to do these for anyone so if you want one you will need to follow his instructions on how to do it. I didn't get to see his in person, as he didn't have his car with him the day we met up, but he said it looks even better in person. He said he likes his better than the place that most people are buying theirs from, cause you dont see the plastic retainers on his & it looks more custom.

Last edited:

vickerw

Established Member
I am interested on getting one for my vert.. is there any contact info we cant get on who is doing this and how much?

Again, nobody is mass producing or making these to sell. The OP made this mod. on his own & posted pictures & detailed instructions on how to go about making your own. Read his original post, where he says "he is too busy to make these for anyone." He has left very detailed instructions on how to go about this. The hard part would be shipping your carpet to the lady that did his embroidering (American Branding Wearables/ Houston TX.) & making the template. When I do mine I will post pics. also & may then be able to answer any questions anyone may have. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

waltd20012002

Established Member
i'll take one if anyone ever decides to do some type of group buy. i just want the cobra emblem and thats it...
i'm sure if someone that is near this cusrom embroidery place wanted to make a little extra cash they could start a gruop buy, $75-$150 each depending on the materials, labor, and custom numers, etc... sounds like a fair deal....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A custom trunk lid liner could be done fairly easily by a local shop. The hardest part might be the snake embroidering.

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
Trunk Lid Liner

Hey guys! Unfortunately I don't spend a lot of time on forums.....kids, church, work, friends, etc......wish I could help you out. I will field questions via PM's.....feel free to contact me. I think the instructions will get the job done.....but you need to be a good DIY'er to get good results.

Regards, John ( OP...original poster )

vickerw

Established Member
FINALLY finished my custom trunk lid liner mod. that I have been wanting to do. I made one for my car & made my buddy one for Xmas for his 03' Redfire. They came out better than I expected & the embroidery work came out excellent! I changed mine a little from "John Himsel" as I put my Wife & my name on it, instead of my cars information, as we belong to a couple of Mustang Clubs & often do carshows, so I thought it would be cool for that. The hardest part was doing the template, as that was time consuming & tedious, but overall it wasn't too bad of a project. It cost me about $80.00 for everything. A cool mod. for anybody that wants to tackle this. I have to say thanks to John Himsel for the detailed instructions.:beer: Anyway here are some pics. of before & after install.

Picture685.jpg

Picture686.jpg

Picture689.jpg

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Rocky that is pretty dang sweet! i want to tackle something like this when i do a rear seat delete kit someday, have a cobra in there to add to the looks

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
imo, the problem with the grand design stuff is it is not embroidered. the plexi is not my kind of taste. I feel the embroidery adds more of a custom unique look to the car.

luckily I have my old one so I will pull it off the board and send it in and put the new one on the board. :beer:

thanks for the info John

:p

carshow08250-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread