Trunk mounted reservoir questions

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
My Chiseled Performance tank arrived. Very nicely built. I now have the tank, pump, lines, and most of the fittings. I'll be installing it all this weekend.

F8B9D2AF-0795-4AFC-9214-862F390402B3_zpsbhbseprn.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What's the fluid capacity of that system? I get that it works on a typical 600hp type car, but on a car that's running 25lbs of boost and I'm boiling my intercooler fluid in about 7 seconds (that doesn't work for a 10 sec pass). With the Killer Chiller when at wide open throttle, there is nothing maintaining or cooling that fluid. I would be concerned with the same issue of overheating the fluid before the end of a pass.

Currently, my system cools right back down before I'm back to the pits too, but it's what's happening during the pass that I'm more concerned with. I don't care how cold it is before or after the pass, I need it cold during the pass. That's why I'm going with ice, because it will always be pulling cold ice water from the tank through the entire pass.

If your Killer Chiller cooled a 5 or 7 gallon tank before the pass, then I would be interested in that. But 1 gallon of cooled fluid doesn't cut it for my car. For the average car I'm sure it's great.

It'll cool that much. It'll just take longer to do it. And think about it, though, what would really be the difference if you have ice cold water from the Killer Chiller or ice cold water from just ice? Ice water is ice water, and in both cases your blower is heating up the water during the run. The most important difference is you don't have to try to empty your tank after every run and try to find more ice. Your car will chill the water for you. If you're really concerned about what's happening to your fluid during the run, just install a switchable relay that will keep your compressor running during your pass. That way it's even better than just having some ice cubes in a tank.

If I remember, Joe Kincaid is willing to do a custom core for more cooling capacity. It's obviously going to cost more money. He's a good guy. You should give him a call and bounce some ideas off him for a custom setup.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It'll cool that much. It'll just take longer to do it. And think about it, though, what would really be the difference if you have ice cold water from the Killer Chiller or ice cold water from just ice? Ice water is ice water, and in both cases your blower is heating up the water during the run. The most important difference is you don't have to try to empty your tank after every run and try to find more ice. Your car will chill the water for you. If you're really concerned about what's happening to your fluid during the run, just install a switchable relay that will keep your compressor running during your pass. That way it's even better than just having some ice cubes in a tank.

If I remember, Joe Kincaid is willing to do a custom core for more cooling capacity. It's obviously going to cost more money. He's a good guy. You should give him a call and bounce some ideas off him for a custom setup.

You can't run a compressor pump during a WOT pass. It will blow up the pump, and/or suck up a bunch of HP spinning it. A/C pumps shut off at WOT for a reason. They're not designed to spin at that RPM. So for a 1/4 mile pass, or 1/2 mile, or 1 mile, or whatever racing you're doing, you're left with only the fluid it has previously cooled to last through your whole full throttle run. On a street car, under 18-20lbs of boost, I'm sure it works really well. It would actually be a better setup than what I'm doing. As you said, it would be constantly cooling the fluid when you're off the throttle, and out driving around. At the track, you don't have the luxury of driving around so the system can recover.

The difference between a tank of cold water from the killer chiller, and a tank of ice water, is the hot water being pumped back into the tank is constantly being cooled by the ice during a full throttle pass. So the ice chilled fluid being pumped to the intercooler is a consistent temperature through the whole pass. A tank of just cold water is going to warm up very quickly when hot water is being pumped into it during a pass. Then, instead of shutting the car off, popping the hood, letting the engine cool, and simply dumping a bag of ice in the tank after a run, you have to let it sit there idling with the a/c on for who knows how long trying to cool 6 gallons of fluid before your next run. No thanks.

I'm not dogging on the Killer Chiller. I think it's a good system that works really well on a street car, or even a mildly modified street car at the track. But it just doesn't have the capabilities to work well on a big blower/high boost car in any track racing scenario.

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
My Chiseled Performance tank arrived. Very nicely built. I now have the tank, pump, lines, and most of the fittings. I'll be installing it all this weekend.

F8B9D2AF-0795-4AFC-9214-862F390402B3_zpsbhbseprn.jpg

I have this too. Nice product. I put a thermostat in the tank for testing and find that on the street the water temp in the tank is cooler if you are 1/3 capacity. The aluminum threads are very soft. Watch out using steel fittings. They go in easy but are very difficult to remove. I thing the best option is softer PVC fitting to preserve the thread integrity. Aluminum would be my 2nd choice.

Users who are viewing this thread