Trunk mounted reservoir questions

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I'm considering a trunk mounted intercooler reservoir like the dadscustomtanks that fits in the spare tire well. Is it run in conjunction with the stock or in my case the roush 3X reservoir or on its own and bypassing/eliminating the stock or roush reservoir and pump. I know you can put a pump right in the dad's custom tank. Anyone running this set up? I'm just looking for a large capacity reservoir with a fuel cell style opening for ice. Yes I know there are a few reservoirs but I'm not fond of the look in the engine bay and prefer to keep it stock looking.

Coonsnake

Established Member
The trunk mounted tank from Dad's comes with a Rule 2000 pump mounted inside it. I ran mine by itself and removed the stock tank, pump and heat exchanger. You can plumb it anyway see best.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
The trunk mounted tank from Dad's comes with a Rule 2000 pump mounted inside it. I ran mine by itself and removed the stock tank, pump and heat exchanger. You can plumb it anyway see best.

Is your car strictly track? I would imagine that set up wouldn't be good for daily driving with no HE.

Coonsnake

Established Member
Yea it is strictly a track car. You can just as easily keep your heat exchanger and use it with your rear ice tank. Just get rid of the stock pump and reservoir.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Coonsnake, is there a drain that's easily accessible to drain the water and add ice at the track? I'm thinking something that you run a hose under the car in the rear and drain the hot water after a pass or two. Also do you happen to know the size of the tank like how many gallons? I'll be contacting dads soon but figured you probably know.

I plan on leaving the HE in the mix because I use my car on the street. I'll probably leave the 3X Reservoir in place as well because it will look empty there without it but I'll bypass the 3X reservoir and stock pump. I really wish someone would make a plastic OE looking bigger capacity reservoir with a fuel cell style opening and a drain at the bottom for easy emptying.

Last edited:

Coonsnake

Established Member
The tank will come with a drain outlet. I installed a valve on mine then drilled a hole at the bottom of the spare tire well to drain it through. Not sure how many gallons it will exactly hold, but i do know when you drain it down till you only have an inch or two of water in it, that it will hold 30lbs of ice. You will see some extremely low IATs when you do this. Becareful how you route the hose over the axles and near the exhaust pipe. I had my pump rigged up to come on several different ways with a switch. Another thing be careful not to ice keep circulating it for a long time with ice and get condensation on the lines then drip on the track.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Sounds like a pita but a good solution to condensation and water dripping at the track

I had Chiseled Performance make me a drip pan which was free but I am not using it. If I put it in, I would isolate it from the tank to not conduct cold. The tank only sweats when I am making passes and is easy to clean up. It does not sweat any other time.

In additon to the 2,000 GPH pump in the tank, I kept the stock pump. I have a dual fan HE.

Last edited:

Coonsnake

Established Member
Becareful running the lines under the carpet, they still will have condensation and in the summer may get mildew in your carpet under there. Just a thought.

I have a tank built to go where my passenger seat is at and i will be going through my firewall as well. My lines are gonna be on top of the carpet, race car though :)

Once i get it installed in a few weeks i will post some pictures

SuperFly03

Established Member
Why not put lines underneath the car? I assume you are concerned about absorbing heat from the external environment.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Why not put lines underneath the car? I assume you are concerned about absorbing heat from the external environment.

I think the issue was with the lines condensing and dripping on the track. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I'm still in the thinking about it stage. I only hit the track 2-3 times a year so I'm weighing my options and trying to come up with the best solution to heat soak. I'll only go to rentals but would like a faster cool down between runs to get more runs in.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I have toyed with the trunk mount idea but no way in hell am I drilling holes in my cars body. I would like to see something under the hood be developed.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I have toyed with the trunk mount idea but no way in hell am I drilling holes in my cars body. I would like to see something under the hood be developed.

Jay I'm right there with you. There are plenty of under hood options but the best one requires battery relocation which I've done once in my lifetime and will never do again lol. I'm really not a fan of the metal reservoirs under the hood that are available. I prefer the stock looking Roush 3X reservoir, I just wish it was a little bigger and had a fuel sell style opening and a drain at the bottom. I think a 5X reservoir with those features would sell like hot cakes just like the 3X's did. I wish I knew something about plastic molding and could make one myself. I do know that there is some extra space at least in my engine bay for a slightly larger OE looking tank.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Jay I'm right there with you. There are plenty of under hood options but the best one requires battery relocation which I've done once in my lifetime and will never do again lol. I'm really not a fan of the metal reservoirs under the hood that are available. I prefer the stock looking Roush 3X reservoir, I just wish it was a little bigger and had a fuel sell style opening and a drain at the bottom. I think a 5X reservoir with those features would sell like hot cakes just like the 3X's did. I wish I knew something about plastic molding and could make one myself. I do know that there is some extra space at least in my engine bay for a slightly larger OE looking tank.

I may look into something like the blwn03 tank that was available back in the day for the 03/04 c obras that used the PC680 Odyssey battery.

Black Sex

Established Member
You could always put a valve of some sort in the hose for the tank to drain it. I've read about people making their own long, skinny ice cubes in cups so they fit in the 3x tank.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Some competitions, like NMRA True Street, don't allow you to open your hood without being disqualified but they do allow you to add ice to a trunk-mounted tank.

Users who are viewing this thread