Trunk mounted reservoir questions

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Becareful running the lines under the carpet, they still will have condensation and in the summer may get mildew in your carpet under there. Just a thought.

I can see that as being a concern for some. I'm in Utah where the air is very dry. So whatever condensation there would be, would dry very quickly. This might be the case with externally mounted lines as well. It might be a non-issue for me here.

Why not put lines underneath the car? I assume you are concerned about absorbing heat from the external environment.

Heat absorption is my main concern. I'll look more into it before I decide though. Maybe just a good insulation on the lines is all I need.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
You could always put a valve of some sort in the hose for the tank to drain it. I've read about people making their own long, skinny ice cubes in cups so they fit in the 3x tank.

A concern I have with putting ice in the factory/3X tank, is the possibility of small ice pieces plugging up the feed line to the pump. It wouldn't take much to restrict the flow by a lot. You wouldn't know it either. They would melt entirely by the time you were back to the pits, and the system would appear to be functioning normally. The possibility of running 3rd and 4th gear with the intercooler starved of fresh fluid isn't something I'm willing to risk.

Integrating a screen of some sort before the feed line to the pump would help alleviate this.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Based on ease of installation and the fact that I only go to the track 2 maybe 3 times a year I've decided to go with the moroso black powder coated reservoir and the matching coolant reservoir. Ordered from lethal with their 4th of July sale. I think for me this was the easiest and cheapest solution. I'll be able to add ice, not worry about running hoses and electrical wiring for a new pump and there shouldn't be any condensation issues. I'm not excited about the metal tank cause I feel that they will get hot from the engine bay but for the track the ice should remedy this. I currently have an Atco HE without fans but I'm considering a dual fan HE so I can run it in the pits while the car is off.

Black Sex

Established Member
A concern I have with putting ice in the factory/3X tank, is the possibility of small ice pieces plugging up the feed line to the pump. It wouldn't take much to restrict the flow by a lot. You wouldn't know it either. They would melt entirely by the time you were back to the pits, and the system would appear to be functioning normally. The possibility of running 3rd and 4th gear with the intercooler starved of fresh fluid isn't something I'm willing to risk.

Integrating a screen of some sort before the feed line to the pump would help alleviate this.

At the same time what would stop a small piece of ice plugging the feed line of any other ice tank or any other coolant tank? But yes the smaller tank would only allow one pass before the ice is melted.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
At the same time what would stop a small piece of ice plugging the feed line of any other ice tank or any other coolant tank? But yes the smaller tank would only allow one pass before the ice is melted.

The moroso and the canton tanks have screens that block ice from clogging the lines.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I just wanted to update this. I purchased a Chiseled Performance 5.6g remote intercooler tank, and a Jabsco centrifugal pump. I'll be running 1" lines to/from the tank in the trunk. I'll be deleting the reservoir and OEM pump up front, but retaining the AFCO heat exchanger I have.

I'll report back with installation details, and results.

Until then, here are some pumps to compare visually; The Jabsco pump I'll be running, the OEM 13/14 pump, and the OEM 07-12 Bosch pump:

IMG_96231_zps2f02e806.jpg

IMG_96221_zps83e18eef.jpg

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Nice, that pump is huge lol. I chickened out and went with the Moroso powdercoated reservoir with the fuel cell style opening for ice. For the two times a year I go to the track this should be sufficient. I also went with an Afco dual fan HE so I should be good.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Nice, that pump is huge lol. I chickened out and went with the Moroso powdercoated reservoir with the fuel cell style opening for ice. For the two times a year I go to the track this should be sufficient. I also went with an Afco dual fan HE so I should be good.

For the majority of setups out there, that will work great. For me, it's just not working. Once I turned the boost up, my IAT's skyrocketed. At 25lbs I'm boiling my intercooler fluid. There just isn't enough volume or flow to keep it cooled off. If I can improve both, it should make a big difference.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Im interested in your results Sam...I have a Ford GT IC pump and the MHR tank and ive been curious how these trunk mounted tanks would work in a DD....also the length of the lines and how they would be routed under the car is of interest as well. Having the KB lc blower complicates my routing as my blower is running off my IC fluid currently. I would likely have to feed it off the engine coolant instead.

Last edited:

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
I just wanted to update this. I purchased a Chiseled Performance 5.6g remote intercooler tank, and a Jabsco centrifugal pump. I'll be running 1" lines to/from the tank in the trunk. I'll be deleting the reservoir and OEM pump up front, but retaining the AFCO heat exchanger I have.

I'll report back with installation details, and results.

Until then, here are some pumps to compare visually; The Jabsco pump I'll be running, the OEM 13/14 pump, and the OEM 07-12 Bosch pump:

IMG_96231_zps2f02e806.jpg

IMG_96221_zps83e18eef.jpg

what part # is that jabsco pump? and is the rule intank any good? Also, are you planning to running that pump intank?

Last edited:

et9secstang

Established Member
Ok here is what I had,Moroso tank with vans heat exchanger, held just a little bit over 1 gallon of coolant, so I got a 7 gallon tank from chiseled performance, I remover factory pump,kept the HE, I ran fragola,3/4 lines, now I have over 7 gallon capacity . How's it work on the street, awesome. I can pack it full of ice free horsepower, you can feel the difference, one of the best mods I did,

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I'm weighing my options and trying to come up with the best solution to heat soak. I'll only go to rentals but would like a faster cool down between runs to get more runs in.

I have toyed with the trunk mount idea but no way in hell am I drilling holes in my cars body. I would like to see something under the hood be developed.

Two words. Killer Chiller. It'll get your IAT2 at or below ambient. By the time you drive back to the lanes after a run, the fluid is chilled again.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Two words. Killer Chiller. It'll get your IAT2 at or below ambient. By the time you drive back to the lanes after a run, the fluid is chilled again.

What's the fluid capacity of that system? I get that it works on a typical 600hp type car, but on a car that's running 25lbs of boost and I'm boiling my intercooler fluid in about 7 seconds (that doesn't work for a 10 sec pass). With the Killer Chiller when at wide open throttle, there is nothing maintaining or cooling that fluid. I would be concerned with the same issue of overheating the fluid before the end of a pass.

Currently, my system cools right back down before I'm back to the pits too, but it's what's happening during the pass that I'm more concerned with. I don't care how cold it is before or after the pass, I need it cold during the pass. That's why I'm going with ice, because it will always be pulling cold ice water from the tank through the entire pass.

If your Killer Chiller cooled a 5 or 7 gallon tank before the pass, then I would be interested in that. But 1 gallon of cooled fluid doesn't cut it for my car. For the average car I'm sure it's great.

FischerMotorspo

Established Member
Hi Guys,

He's what we do for all of ours... 10 gallons with 55 gal/min integrated Meziere water pump... single -16 or -20 feed... single or dual -16 returns (we have a plumbing kit, lines go through car under carpet)... has integrated Odyssey battery tray... top is flush with bottom of trunk and stock carpet goes right over the top:

Cheers

http://instagram.com/p/rvMvhKD3jj/?modal=true

EwanGT500ICTank1.jpg

EwanGT500ICTank2.jpg

DSC02241.jpg

LeesGT500ICTank2.jpg

LeesGT500ICTank1.jpg

et9secstang

Established Member
Dam that 10 gallon does look nice,,, this winter I plan on hopefully mounting a cell with a ice tank in the trunk,that's my goal,I don,t drive much on the street. I want to cut the trunk floor and lower cell into the car. The 3 staged pumps work good. Just don't really trust it,I know a lot of cars run fuel systems that way. Anyway my system holds around 8 gallons ,I have a rule200,pump in the tank. I don't think it could work any better. But always looking for better ideas, I'm currently running around 22 psi, E85, 4.2, Lund email tune,

Nickoli

Established Member
That is a very nice setup! I just finished installing my setup yesterday. My tank was a little narrow and the side tabs did not reach so for now took a piece of aluminum to make up the difference.
D7E97D71-067D-4F77-9236-3C503A499267_zpsvpdvp2cj.jpg

et9secstang

Established Member
I have a tig and a spool gun,man if I only had experience welding, my 7 gallon from chiseled works great, I was at the American muscle show and ran a 9.91 crappy short time and I missed 4 th, don't know how I screwed that up ?...

Users who are viewing this thread