Truth about 5w20 oil and why SVT says no synoils

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Re: I posted this in another thread......

Originally posted by OldSkoolMC
Question: Don't I have to use a 5w20 oil to maintain my factory warranty if my manual recommends a 5w20 oil?

Answer: Absolutely not. Vehicle manufacturers recommend using motor oils meeting certain viscosity grades and American Petroleum Institute service requirements. Whether the motor oil is a 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 or 0w30 or even a synthetic vs. a petroleum-based oil will not affect warranty coverage. The manufacturer is required to cover all equipment failures it would normally cover as long as the oil meets API service requirements and specifications and was not the cause of the failure.

In addition, the federally mandated Magnuson - Moss Warranty Improvement Act states that a manufacturer may not require a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge. If your dealership continues to tell you that you need to use 5w20 oil to maintain your warranty, then ask them to put it in writing. If they indicate you must use a particular brand of oil to maintain your warranty, tell them you expect it to be provided free of charge.

Their position is inaccurate and, in fact, violates existing U.S. legislation. Additionally, if there is ever a question of whether or not a particular oil was the cause of an engine failure make sure to get a sample of the used oil in a bottle, typically 6 oz. minimum. That will provide enough fluid to send oil to 2 independent testing labs for analysis. Remember, being a knowledgeable and informed consumer is your best defense against being taken advantage of by a car dealership service center.

I know this is an old thread, but, that comes straight out of the AMSOIL website on their article about 5w-20 oils. Unless OldSkoolMC is the one who wrote that for them, I hope he's not taking credit for writing that.

Users who are viewing this thread