Truth about 5w20 oil and why SVT says no synoils

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Re: non-synoil vs. synoil

Originally posted by LSR
My $.02

Everytime someone takes there car in for a problem, you can bet that SVT is called.

Whatever weight oil the owners manual suggest and SVT says to use is what one might want to use if one expects to recieve warranty work.

If something happens to ones motor internally and snyoil is found, then that person has just gave them a legal reason not to warranty you car.

Fully synoil would probably warrant the same treatment as a mod. and mods. of course voids warranty's, this will give a legal out to say SVT/Dealers taking full responsibility for any damages.

This is sort of like a person that has mods. on there car and complain about having problems, again the maufacturer & dealer is off the hook when it comes to engine malfunctions etc. when a mod. is found, it points to the car being used for something not reccommended, at least this is there excuse when dealing with a car that they don't get enough trianing for, and again a legal way out.

Nope... Check out the Magnussen-Moss Act. As long as the replacement meets or exceeds the requirements, they cannot void your warranty.

In the manual, Ford recommends using their air filter. However, if you put a K&N drop-in replacement in, they can't say it's a "mod". The only way they can complain about the filter is if they provide new ones for free. If they replace your filter for free, then they have legal right to bitch at you for using something else.

--Matt

100th96cobra

Hey guys, didnt feel like reading 5 pages of posts, so Im sorry if this has been stated already. But the only reason they say dont use synthetic oil, is because of extended drain intervals. If you run synthetic, and the recomended drain interval is say every 25,000 miles, like amsoil is, money is being lost. Nobody is buying oil, or paying someone to change it. Its all about money.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by pacotaco
The original link in this thread is gone, and to be honest, I was indeed too lazy to read 4 pages to find your recommendations. I have a little time, so I'll look some more, but if you have the time, please be specific and direct with your recommendations. It may be repetative, but for those with tons of "oil" questions, your expertise is needed and respected. No need for in depth analysis, what oil do you recommend for a 03/03 Mustang Cobra? Your words have a lot of pull here to put it mildly. Thanks.
pacotaco

Have they deleted all my posts? Then go over to www.s2ki.com and look for Road Rage. Do your homework.

I used Amsoil Series 2000 0w30. In mineral oils I like Pennzoil.

I also recommend Lubrication Engineers oils, but they are hard to find.

Last edited:

Golions

Established Member
For all those still interested in this thread:

Motorcraft makes a fully synthetic 5W-20 oil. It is hard to find but a dealer can order it for you. My dealer quoted me $6.50 per quart. If you feel you must run Ford's recommended weight, but still use full syn, there you go.

Part # XO-5W20-QFS

GiddyUp!

:thumbsup:

bbcar

Established Member
For what ever its worth I have been using Valvoline 10w30 full synthetic oil since the 90's in all my cars, I put in in at the first oil change at 500 miles and have never had any ill effects because of the oil. I only put about 1500 miles a year on my cars, weekend toys for me so I change oil twice a year rather than mileage. Synthetic lubes better on cold start ups and is a all around better oil. In the last few years I have used it in 3 LS1's
and in my 01 Mustang GT. I sold the GT to a friend in Chicago who uses it everyday and has had no problems with this car. Barry
cobra2003.jpg

try03venom

Established Member
IMHO it is not a good thing to leave synthetic in for more than 3,000.That is the old school of thinking when they thought that you could get 20,000 mi. out of an oil change.Whats up with this idea of breaking in the engine with dino oil first?The vette,viper,and Porche all come factory filled with synthetic.So after I get a Z06 home I should drain the mobil 1 out and put in some dino oil?An engine is an engine and rings are rings.There is no doubt that the 5w-20 factory fill is there for fuel economy.Who came up with the therory that the oil passages are too small for anything else other than 5w-20?I'm using 5w-30 mobil 1 changing it every 2,500 miles.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
synoil and warranty...

So what it comes down to is this:

The owners manual states that the oil that you use has to meet or exceed Ford WSS-M2C-153H. Both Amsoil 5w-20 and Mobil 1 0w-20 specifically mention that they exceed this specification on their website and on the oil container, so you should feel very safe and secure using either one of these fully synthetic oils in your '03 or 04 Cobra without any fear of warranty or other problems.

If you couple your use of these synthetic oils with the use of a high quality filter (not the $3 kind) you should be all set.

I personally use Amsoil 5w-20 and the Fram X2 (XG-2) filter.

Here's some filter info...

X2 - FRAM® Extended Guard Premium Oil Filter

The future of long life oil filtration has arrived...

Meet the new FRAM® X2™ Extended Guard Oil Filter. All the single-pass 96% efficiency of a FRAM Extra-Guard® Oil Filter but with 70% more capacity vs. leading competitor's average!

A breakthrough combination of advanced media, proprietary FRAM TRIAD™ Fiber Technology,and Extended Life construction, FRAM X2 Extended Guard Oil Filter is the very first premium oil filter to offer an amazing 7,000 miles plus performance!

Advanced engineering:
The FRAM X2 Extended Guard Oil Filter has been engineered using proprietary TRIAD™ Fiber Technology introduced in the FRAM Extra-Life III air filter. Unlike ordinary paper fiber fibers, synthetic triad Fibers help trap dirt up inside tiny microscopic channels to help increase capacity and extend filter life.

Built for the long run:
Combined with screen back design, the FRAM X2 Extended Guard Oil Filter is also backed by a rugged, metal screen design that helps achieve uniform pleating, FRAM X2 Extended Guard Oil Filter maintains optimum oil flow, and greatly extended service.

More performance:
Simply put, no other leading passenger car oil filter offers the performance combination of the new FRAM X2 Extended Guard Oil Filter!

More features:
FRAM X2 Extended Guard Oil Filter incorporates the FRAM® SureGrip® feature to make your oil changing easier and a specially designed silicone anti-drain back valve and long-life PTFE-coated exterior gasket.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
I have heard nothing but bad news on using Fram filters. Good luck.

jimwood

Established Member
Originally posted by Daffy
Two ?'s here to me.
One: will using something like Mobil 1 5W-30 hurt my engine? &
Two: will using it void my warranty?

For One: I would not rely on SVT, Doc's right, they are call center rep's, they're giving the "company line" for answers. The answer to question one is in Doc's post IMHO. For example, my viper came with 10W30 mobil 1 right from the factory & that's what you must use in that car.

For Two: depends on how much of an a$$ the regional Ford rep would be., etc Our manual reads, "Use Motorcraft or an equivalent oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-H". Now they use the word "recommended" above this text, and I know a lawyer could have a field day beating Ford up over that word alone. But, Mobil 1 5W-30 doesn't meet this spec, Mobil does have an oil that meets it, it's here:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Drive_Clean_Oils.asp
It reads: "Mobil Drive Clean Oil 5W-20 has been introduced to meet the latest requirements of Ford and Honda. It meets Ford Specification WSS-M2C153-H."
This is what I would suspect Mobil will say in a reply email about this topic.

So ... IMHO the expert(s) have spoken on the what's best for the car topic, and the answer seems right on. As for the legal side, I think Ford could be a a$$ about it & pick-nits, but a lawyer could have a field day tearing their argument up - with the legal meaning of recommended and expert opinions on synth oils - I couldn't imagine losing that argument. But, the latter wouldn't be a fun path.

That's my 2 cents. Personally I'm using 5W30 Mobil 1 now because I'm thinking about beyond the 36K mile warranty period & believe it's better than the dino squeeze.

Great Post!!!! Cites the manuals recommendations and then directly to the Mobil One link.:thumbsup:

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
I've heard it too...

Originally posted by OCCOBRA
I have heard nothing but bad news on using Fram filters. Good luck.

I've heard it too, but no one ever seems to have any specifics. I've been using Fram oil filters in my rides for about 30 years or so. Never had a single problem.

So I'm still using Fram. If anyone has some specific documented evidence that Fram oil filters cause problems, please bring it forth.

I'm all ears.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
ttt- because i searched manually for this damn thread...

I was out picking up Mob1 5w-30 for the 1st oil change and looking at the others as well.

Anyone know what the 15w-50 does differently than say 5w-30.That makes them say on the carton label that it is designed for supercharged / turbo engines?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Re: I've heard it too...

Originally posted by Chucko
I've heard it too, but no one ever seems to have any specifics. I've been using Fram oil filters in my rides for about 30 years or so. Never had a single problem.

So I'm still using Fram. If anyone has some specific documented evidence that Fram oil filters cause problems, please bring it forth.

I'm all ears.
The problem is oil drainback. The Ford filters (as well as many others) have a flap which allows oil to go in one direction. I have read that some filters do not have this feature, and that Fram filters in particular don't have this feature. So when you shut down the engine, oil in the system drains back down through the filter. This does 2 things, 1- it could wash deposits previously caught in the filter to go back down into the oil pan, and 2- on your next startup, the engine runs longer on no or low oil pressure.

As far as actual filtering, while I don't remember where Fram sits vs other filters, I do remember that Ford filters always have been rather high on the list, especially considering how inexpensive they are. I am currently using an Amsoil filter, but at $12+ each, I may just go back to a Motorcraft filter (< $3 at Wal-Mart).

magred

Established Member
It is an actuality when it comes to the change intervals concerning Synthetics. Many oil analysis tests have been done to confirm the breakdown of synthetics. If you go to google or yahoo and type in independent oil tests you will come up with several tests that do confirm the longevity of synthetics. As long as the oil meets or exceeds the oil used from the factory then your vehicle warranty cannot be voided. There was a test in which a synthetic was used and not changed at all. The oil was analyzed at different intervals and it was amazing how it did not breakdown. There were changes that could efffect the acidity levels but these were also minute. In fact they tended to stabilize more as the test continued. If you are using synthetics and change your oil every 3000 miles you arent hurting your car by any means but you are putting extra money in someones pocket. You can also do a search on air filter tests. Of course the results will indicate that paper is the best filter but it does limit the air flow. Gauze or cotton filters do pass more air but they also pass more contaminants. That is why gauze or cotton filters actually filter better as they get dirtier but they also pass less volume of air. Hence how filters like Donaldson, have those flow indicators to show when they are dirty. Another good synthetic is Castrol. The one produced in Germany is actually supposed to the better one made by Castrol. You can do a search on their oils and you will get the results. Anyway, a simple oil analysis test will confirm this. They arent that expensive and you can mail the sample in and get the results back.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
Silver: Just curious - Did you actually read the Stangnet thread? And since synoil would be considered a "mod" since SVT has not recommended it, may we assume you will not be doing anything else SVT says not to do, like just about any of the Forum mods?

So, the Ford lubrication expert is quoted as saying they went with 5w20 for emissions and oil savings reasons, yet SVT says change the oil every 1000 miles rather than use synoil? It is not only logically irreconciliable, but flat out hypocritical. SVT has to say no synoil because it certified the car with 5w20, and that is the EPA requirement - I do not see how that could be any clearer.

When I took my car to the Ford dealer (SVT dealer) they advised to put in Syn oil. Hmmm.. Oh wait.. They even changed it with Syn oil. I have also taked with SVT and they said that it is no big deal running Syn but wait till you have some miles on the car.
Ford along with Honda and most of the import high gass milage cars have went to 5W20 to increase the gas mileage and lower emisions. No big deal. Just put in the oil theat you want and call it done..

Eric

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
I've heard it too...

Originally posted by SnakeBit
The problem is oil drainback. The Ford filters (as well as many others) have a flap which allows oil to go in one direction. I have read that some filters do not have this feature, and that Fram filters in particular don't have this feature. So when you shut down the engine, oil in the system drains back down through the filter. This does 2 things, 1- it could wash deposits previously caught in the filter to go back down into the oil pan, and 2- on your next startup, the engine runs longer on no or low oil pressure.

As far as actual filtering, while I don't remember where Fram sits vs other filters, I do remember that Ford filters always have been rather high on the list, especially considering how inexpensive they are. I am currently using an Amsoil filter, but at $12+ each, I may just go back to a Motorcraft filter (< $3 at Wal-Mart).

The Fram Filter is rated at 96% single pass efficiency. That is about as good as it gets. I don't think I've seen any other filter get a better rating in single pass efficiency.

If you look at the stuff that I posted from the Fram website earlier in this thread, you'll see the following:

"FRAM X2 Extended Guard Oil Filter incorporates the FRAM® SureGrip® feature to make your oil changing easier and a specially designed silicone anti-drain back valve and long-life PTFE-coated exterior gasket."

I believe that the phrase "specially designed silicone anti-drain back valve" pretty much puts to rest the rumor that Fram filters don't have an anti-drain back valve.

It's my understanding that all major filter brands contain an anti-drain back valve and have for many years. It's nothing new, as far as I know.

just my $0.02......

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Wilson & Co
ttt- because i searched manually for this damn thread...

I was out picking up Mob1 5w-30 for the 1st oil change and looking at the others as well.

Anyone know what the 15w-50 does differently than say 5w-30.That makes them say on the carton label that it is designed for supercharged / turbo engines?

my understanding is that the 15w-50 is for import,alum 4 cyl, high rpm, heat type engines.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
This is getting way over complicated. Change the oil with whatever you want. Just keep it clean. If you have a failure because of using the wrong oil, well that's your own fault. Most Cobra owners i know are religous about maint and would never allow anything to happen to their babies, but then there are some who have more money than brains. SVT will send out an adjuster if there is a major engine failure and you can tell if someone has been keeping up with oil changes and if the oil they are using may have caused a failure, that's when Ford will deny warranty. For someone to say that just because you are not using 5w-20 in your engine and the warranty is voided is just not true.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by YoungCobra
ttt
:lol: A "ttt" on a thread thats 2 years old. :lol: Some good info for sure, how do you guys find such old stuff with no search? Or do you save every thread now as a bookmark?

Users who are viewing this thread