Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Option 3

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
My g/f recently picked up an 2004 Expedition so we would continue to tow our boat since my explorer is on its last leg.

So now im looking for a new vehicle to for me.

Im indecisive when it comes to things. But i do know I want an SUV, (ive been driving her old saturn, and while the MPG rocks, the feeling like im going to be ran over or off the road while on 66 during rushhour suck, and the mear drop of rain makes me feel like imma float away.

So ive narrowed it down to three vehicles...

Option 1:
2003 Black Excursion (Gas)
2003 Used Ford Excursion Limited at Shannon Auto Sales in Manassas, VA, IID 5813397

Pros: Def. in my price range. Black is my preferred color
Cons: Gas MPG would be around 10-12mpg.

Option 2:
2004 White Expedition (Gas)
2004 Used Ford Expedition XLT at Shannon Auto Sales in Manassas, VA, IID 5848506

Pros: Comparable to the MPG i was getting in my explorer.
Cons: Would kinda feel like a pointless purchase since we already have an expedition, price is the same as the excursion (option 1)

Option 3:
2004 Blue Excursion (Diesel)
2004 Used Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer Edition at Shannon Auto Sales in Manassas, VA, IID 5743620

Pros: DIESEL! Great MPG while commuting, good MPG while towing the boat.
Cons: The price, maintence of a diesel truck and then the dreaded ford 6.0L motor.

So what do you all think?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Do you have 5 kids that you need to haul in an Excursion? If not, get the Expedition. Bigger isn't always better.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
I chose #1. What size boat do you have? Whats it weigh with trailer?

21ft Bayliner, With the boat, trailer, gear and a full tank of gas, your probably talking about 5000-6000lbs.

I also have a 10ft enclosed trailer I use to haul my Dj equipment around with as well.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
Does it have to be a suv? I love my truck and I paid $14,600 for it with 62k miles and it already had the dvd player, viper alarm and line x

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
Does it have to be a suv? I love my truck and I paid $14,600 for it with 62k miles and it already had the dvd player, viper alarm and line x

Yes. b/c some times i'll toss my DJ gear in the back, and i need to be able to keep it secure. I could get a cover for the truck, but am not a fan of those.

Ive thought about the truck route, and ive enjoy all my trucks ive had, but have an SUV is a preference.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Not that I know about. But even if the expedition is the same price as an excursion?

The Excursion is a year older, has slightly more miles and will get worse mileage. If you don't need to haul a huge family why get the extra space?

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
The Excursion is a year older, has slightly more miles and will get worse mileage. If you don't need to haul a huge family why get the extra space?

The hope to get a bigger boat in a year or two.

Also just thinking about the same truck at the house is a bit awkward.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
The hope to get a bigger boat in a year or two.

Also just thinking about the same truck at the house is a bit awkward.

Sounds like you've already decided then. :shrug:

Seems a bit strange for 2 people with no kids to have both an Expedition and Excursion IMO.

Last edited:

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
Sounds like you've already decided then. :shrug:

Seems a bit strange for 2 people with no kids to have both an Expedition and Excursion IMO.

Well Tracy had always driven my explorer when we went out, and having only had compact cars she fell in love with the SUV and having a larger vehicle. We needed something to tow the boat with, so she went ahead and picked up the Expedition (Got her a great deal on it)

Now with my explorer on its last leg, and me driving her saturn around, there is no way in hell, i'd go with a small car. Hell I could drive my cobra, but I dont even want to drive that. I miss having a SUV and something that sits up higher.

ModularFan

Established Member
Have you looked into a Suburban or something else. I wouldn't advise getting a diesel, the MPG Difference isnt all that great, and you said it yourself mainteance is out the ass on them.

How often would you be towing your boat?

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
Have you looked into a Suburban or something else. I wouldn't advise getting a diesel, the MPG Difference isnt all that great, and you said it yourself mainteance is out the ass on them.

How often would you be towing your boat?

I have looked at the tahoe, and they are nice, but ive really have owned ford, and know plenty of folks who can get my parts for them if i needed them.

Boat towing is pretty much every weekend between June-September.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
I spoke with my buddy at the dealership, im gonna go take the diesel out after work for about an hour today and see how I like it. I'll keep you all posted.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
I test drove the blue diesel excursion for a good two hours yesterday. Couple things about it concerned me:
It walks all over the road, almost the "float" feeling you get with slicks going down the track
Tires are mismatched

I did get up to 23mpg crusing at 65mpg on cruise control and 15-17 on a back road on and off the throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread