TSB For 1-2 Grind

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
pff hahaha alright :)

i've just never had this sort of experience yall have at dealerships with warranty voiding so quickly. My last dealership had a close relationship with injected engineering, and would send cars there all the time to get tuned, and I rebuilt a guys entire transmission (I was an advisor at the time) even though the car had long tubes, exhaust, a short shifter, etc etc. My current dealership just put a blower on a car, no problems.

Warranty work is gravy, techs get paid, car gets fixed, and the customer doesnt even have to pay. I'm not sure what the problem is. Keep us updated.

That was per the Ford Customer service rep.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Agreed. When I worked as an SA the warranty work was gravy work. The only reason they don't want to have Ford cover it is because they make more if you pay for it out of your pocket. Find a different dealer or move on and sell it.

That being said though, your statement "It flat out doesn't shift, and grinds for what feels like an eternity" sounds like you may have ruined the transmission to the point that nothing besides new synchro's and possibly a new second gear could fix it. My 09 was a little notchy, and it ground once trying to shift quickly. I immediately fashioned the appropriate items to bleed the clutch line (showed spongy characteristics after quick application), upgraded to the KR shifter with the better bushing, and replaced the transmission fluid with Mobil 1 ATF before even attempting another speed shift fearing I'd damage it.

The trans probably has a 1000 miles on it, 600 going to Houston and back to pick up the 93 Lightning. It has 4-5 WOT's in that time with only one being able to shift like you'd expect. Other than that it sits in the garage under the car cover. I'm looking at used ZR1's, but I need to save some money first.

finally03gt

Established Member
Picked mine up last night, I'll update my original post and cross link when i get a chance. I've only driven 5 miles, but the service ticket stated 2nd syncros coming apart. Good thing I didn't just throw a shifter at it ;-)

HidnNOS

Established Member
I feel exactly like you do. I want it fixed before I play. I also want it fixed by Ford because any alterations I make to the car will always be able to be taken back to stock for when I sell the car. It's just a personal thing. I had always seen people talk about TSB's but I'd never actually seen one posted which is why I made this thread which does tell me there is no such specific TSB. No worries, I expect I will be adamant with Ford or CarMax and will in the end have it fixed. CarMax already verified the issue before my 5 day return policy was up, I told them as long as they acknowledge the issue and agree to repair it, I will keep the car. They did and I did. I was hoping to keep them out of it, but I have them to fall back on. No worries

because there is no definitive "fix". Some say ATF, some say ATF/clutch line, some say MGW. MGW doesn't even say it will definitely fix the problem. And you can't compare factory tires to a vehicle that doesn't shift. It's not notchy, it's not an occasional missed shift. It flat out doesn't shift, and grinds for what feels like an eternity. Get behind the wheel of a stock 10-12 GT500 and tell me if we should suck it up. It is by far the worst manual transmission experience I've ever had. I've had numerous Foxes, SN 95's, new Edges, and a Datsun 280Z, etc none have shifted this poorly. 03-04 Cobras had a horrible shifter from the factory but you could shift those cars, you cannot shift a 10-12 with any kind of speed at high RPM's on the 1-2. It just won't happen.

Next time the car leaves the garage, I'll take a video so you can grasp what we are complaining about.

finally03gt

Established Member
So, here's the update:

I'll do this in two posts for the guys that just want the run down, and the those who may be curious about the over all experience.

The repair:

2nd gear; 1st blocking ring; 2nd blocking rings; 2nd syncro; 3-4 syncro

Techs coments: Verified customer concern (1-2 shift grinding above 5700 rpm and occasionally notchy and pop out on 2nd downshift in traffic). Test drove and noticed 4th was occasionally difficult to get into at times. Removed transmission and disassembled and found that 2nd gear blocking rings were not fitting well and that 2nd gear syncro and gear were coming apart. Also found 3-4 syncro binding. Replaced 1st gear blocking rings, 1-2 syncro, 2nd blocking ring, 2nd gear, and 3-4 syncro

I've only put a few miles on it, and have not done high RPM or aggressively shifts it yet, but it feels much better. 2nd has one distinct notch as it slides in, like all the other gears, instead of 2-4 notches as it works its way in. All in all I'm very glad so far that I didn't just throw aftermarket parts at it.

finally03gt

Established Member
My service experienc:

Dropped the car off with Gullo Ford in Conroe on 9-29, and opened a case with Deysha. I was planning to be out of town at work for 4 weeks, so I rode with a QC guy and made sure to duplicate the concern, as I would not be available. Sure enough, 3 days later I receive a phone call from Ford CS, NOT Deysha, that as of that time, they were unable to duplicate. I was a little short with her, Deysha, if you know who that was give her my apologies. About an hour later I received a call from my SA at Gullo with the same report. FORTUNATELY, I was still in town and I went to Gullo and duplicated with the tech, rather than a QC guy. I feel my SA could have been more proactive in keeping me updated, but in all fairness, the car was being taken car of, and I did tell him he had 4 weeks with it. I ended up being gone for 6 weeks, so I inquired about 2 new front tires and alignment. My SA handed it off to another quick lube SA, and I had 2 contacts with him, then nothing. I called about 1:30 pm the day I returned to let my SA know I was picking up that evening. I didn't arrive until about 15 before close at 7pm, and there was one SA, not mine, working the late shift. We found the car in the lot with a dead battery and filthy, but repaired.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So, here's the update:

I'll do this in two posts for the guys that just want the run down, and the those who may be curious about the over all experience.

The repair:

2nd gear; 1st blocking ring; 2nd blocking rings; 2nd syncro; 3-4 syncro

Techs coments: Verified customer concern (1-2 shift grinding above 5700 rpm and occasionally notchy and pop out on 2nd downshift in traffic). Test drove and noticed 4th was occasionally difficult to get into at times. Removed transmission and disassembled and found that 2nd gear blocking rings were not fitting well and that 2nd gear syncro and gear were coming apart. Also found 3-4 syncro binding. Replaced 1st gear blocking rings, 1-2 syncro, 2nd blocking ring, 2nd gear, and 3-4 syncro

I've only put a few miles on it, and have not done high RPM or aggressively shifts it yet, but it feels much better. 2nd has one distinct notch as it slides in, like all the other gears, instead of 2-4 notches as it works its way in. All in all I'm very glad so far that I didn't just throw aftermarket parts at it.

Let us know when you give up some gas. That will be the real and only test.

finally03gt

Established Member
Let us know when you give up some gas. That will be the real and only test.

Yea.. gonna let it wear in for about 500-1000 miles first, and possibly go amsoil. Amsoil well happen anyway, just not sure if before or after a flogging. But if is grinds ONCE, i won't be as hesitant to try a WOT box, or shifter, knowing I don't have syncros coming apart. Buying used with 32,500 mile, that was a big concern.

Users who are viewing this thread