Tube k member?

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i was reading the e bay longtube header tread and someone said they had to put an extra washer on top on the 1/2 spacer that comes with the tube k -member to get clearance on the steering shaft .so that got me thinking and checked my and wasnt touching but realy close.i put the extra washer on it same size as the spacer and now has good clearance.wish i knew that 2 months ago.lol.fixed with a $0.50 washer on each side

SHUFFLE STEER

Established Member
I am a twisty guy that also likes acceleration.

I see on the Cortex Racing website that they do not recommend using a Tube K member or tube lower front control arms. They cite torsional rigidity as being a compromise. I know BMR, Kenny Brown, UPR all amke theses products.
I'd like to hear a good explanation of what to watch for in a these products.

Hoping Sam Strano, Cortex, Steeda, BMR, or others that have direct product knowledge can provide some pro and cons, and if the products are intended/suggested for straight line perf. or twisty perf.

CSG

Established Member

I see on the Cortex Racing website that they do not recommend using a Tube K member or tube lower front control arms. They cite torsional rigidity as being a compromise. I know BMR, Kenny Brown, UPR all amke theses products.

Hoping Sam Strano, Cortex, Steeda, BMR, or others that have direct product knowledge can provide some pro and cons, and if the products are intended/suggested for straight line perf. or twisty perf.

Look into the MM unit if you are concerned with strength.

BMR Tech

When you say "what to watch for" - are you referring to potential issues?

What I tell my customers (that use our K-Members and Arms for Handling Duty) to watch for is, alignment changes and cracks. To date, we have NOT had one single K-Member failure due to the design of our K-Member, which we have been shipping since 2005. Ten years, and thousands and thousands of them. I see people occasionally say "BMR K-Members fail" on internet blogs, forums, etc....but I do not know where they get that info from. We have had A-Arm issues in the past, so maybe they are confusing the two; no idea.

The weakest area of the S197 K-Member when using the car in a handling environment, is the rear legs / A-Arm mounts. Under heavy braking, the car is trying to rip the A-Arm backwards....and it puts a tremendous amount of load on the rear a-arm mounts and rear Leg. Using an "A-Arm Support Brace" like we offer, or Steeda, etc....is highly recommended by me when using our Tubular K-Members for street and handling duty. This will put the load on the rear mounts in check, and battle the forces that can cause the rear leg to bend. Here is a picture (via Google) of what I am referring to:

IMG_0192.gif

Although we have never had this issue - I do not think the picture above shows a design flaw in the actual K-Member. I truly believe that if that car ran an a-arm support brace, that issue would have never occurred.

SVTP Member Darren Govoni ran our K-Member pretty hard for quite some time, on his Boss 302....without issues. When I spoke with him a while back, I learned that he did not have any support on the rear legs, and basically twisted his arm to get our brace on there. Here is his car in action:

[video=youtube;ptyW741jrek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptyW741jrek[/video]

Here is Van @ Revan Racing torturing our K/Arms on course, at some very high speeds:

[video=youtube;IzgaLWxtQt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzgaLWxtQt8[/video]

As for our recommendations....I have no issues recommending any of our front chassis/suspension pieces to anyone, looking to use it in any way.

When Shelby was testing parts for their S1000 Build...they thrashed the hell out of our K/Arms.....and were happy enough with them, to include them standard on the Shelby S1000. ;)

Look into the MM unit if you are concerned with strength.

Absolutely! Great part, and I would never tell someone that their new S197 K-Member isn't one of the best options available.

I do wish they would have saved weight, instead of adding it though. If we can shed 22lbs and never have a failure....surely they could have saved atleast 2lbs and made it strong enough for their intended use.

kingcobra323

Established Member
Just had kmember installed and the car feels more raw and snappier. The nvh isn't horrible though noticeable at idle & or at a stop nothing ur stereo can't disguish. I can't wait to hit the Track

Posted via Topify on Android

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I installed my k member and a arms, along with some other front end bmr goodies in my garage back in November. I did have a bit of NVH and the steering wheel vibrated a little bit but that was all, and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

A few weeks ago, we installed a VMP TVS on the car and I think the extra weight on the front dampened the NVH added by the BMR stuff because it's pretty much gone now. $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread