Tune only vs Pulley and tune

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Just wondering on the 13-14 gt500's what the difference in power between let's say tune or intake and tune only versus a tune and pulley. I was watching the stage 1, 2 and 3 power package build on American Muscle and it seems that most power came in the tune (around 50 whp) and they only saw about 15 or so more with the pulley. If a tune only nets you around 50 hp and the pulley is only good for another 15 or so, I would rather not mess around with spinning the supercharger any harder if the results are minimal. If anyone has numbers from tune/intake tune only vs the same mods and a pulley, that would definitely answer my question.

Gr8shelby

Established Member
Just wondering on the 13-14 gt500's what the difference in power between let's say tune or intake and tune only versus a tune and pulley. I was watching the stage 1, 2 and 3 power package build on American Muscle and it seems that most power came in the tune (around 50 whp) and they only saw about 15 or so more with the pulley. If a tune only nets you around 50 hp and the pulley is only good for another 15 or so, I would rather not mess around with spinning the supercharger any harder if the results are minimal. If anyone has numbers from tune/intake tune only vs the same mods and a pulley, that would definitely answer my question.

I would recommend checking with VMP or Lund with that question, I personally had a BAD experience with the Bama tune on my 2014. Good luck, modding can be addictive!

tennis_pr0

Established Member
I would definitely be going with VMP or Lund I was just wondering how much more power you make with a tune/tune pulley combo.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I think a tune only is worth around 30-40 rwhp. I think you'll also need a throttle body to go with the tune and pulley and you'll get around 75-100 rwhp more.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Got ya. Yeah I was under the impression that tune only was worth about 40ish and then the full bolt ons (throttle body, OD Pulley and supercharger pulley) were more around 100. Seems more logical to me to just go with a tune as 700+ HP factory size wheels would be pushing it. Also hotter IAT's with running more boost. So will probably go resonator delete and tune and throw on some MPSS and call it a day.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Got ya. Yeah I was under the impression that tune only was worth about 40ish and then the full bolt ons (throttle body, OD Pulley and supercharger pulley) were more around 100. Seems more logical to me to just go with a tune as 700+ HP factory size wheels would be pushing it. Also hotter IAT's with running more boost. So will probably go resonator delete and tune and throw on some MPSS and call it a day.

If you're talking about both an upper and lower pulley that's a different story. I think that can put you around 800rwhp and might require an E85 conversion.
I'm running the 13-6 (intake, tune, tb, plugs) without a pulley and picked up around 75 rwhp.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I know AED doesn't recommend pulley swaps on these cars with how the knock sensors act from the factory and pull timing. With cai and tune only was an increase of 60rwhp. Exhaust, cai, injectors, and bap on e85 will see 750rwhp without a pulley.

Last edited:

phil123

Established Member
I believe AED doesn't recommend a pulley in California because of 91 Octane gas. He feels the chances of detonation problems are too high. I picked up about 60 rwh with AED dyno tune, VMP TB, and CAI.

Last edited:

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Looks like I will do intake and tune and stop there. For an additional 30 HP or so, it's not worth pushing the blower harder and raising IAT's just for a few extra ponies. At 650 to the rear wheels with an intake and tune, I doubt I will have any traction anyway, so going any more would probably be a waste unless I put some drag radials on.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
If we already have the Res. Delete and Airaid Filter installed do we really need the JLT for a Tune only or Tune and larger TB set-up?? Is there real difference for these simple mods?? I too am on Ca. 91* "Premium". Thanx

Last edited:

tennis_pr0

Established Member
With a resonator delete and filter you aren't drawing in anymore air and are not manipulating anything with the MAF, so it would be the same as keeping the stock box, you would just have the filter for appearance and the resonator delete for sound.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Here's a good source for estimating power. Our Stage 1 is about 50 rwhp over stock...just a tune and rez delete.
http://www.vmpperformance.com/2013-14-GT500-STAGE-1-Power-Pack-Up-to-50-rwhp-p/13gt500stage1.htm

With a rez delete AND Airaid filter I've seen there be enough of a difference to need a couple of percent of fuel up top. This is exacerbated by the addition of a larger throttle body.

A stock 13-14 on 93 octane at sea level will make 590-610 on a Dynojet (wx dependent). Deduct 15 or so for 91 octane.

All of our kits and their respective output are measured on 93 with 10% ethanol.

We have hundreds of Stage 3 and 4 kits on the road. The knock sensors on the 13-14 ARE slightly more aggressive than previous years, no doubt to protect from damage due to increased output and a higher rev limit...all the while knowing people will fill them up with gas from Sam's Club.

Our Stage 3 uses a 2.40 pulley, 90mm idler, our Twin Jet 67mm and VMP Custom tune and nets up to 90 rwhp on 93. It uses the stock cai.

If anyone needs tech assistance or some guidance, we're here to help. PM is a bad way to reach us. Either use our support system on vmpperformance.com or call us at 321-206-9369

bj

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Here's a good source for estimating power. Our Stage 1 is about 50 rwhp over stock...just a tune and rez delete.
http://www.vmpperformance.com/2013-14-GT500-STAGE-1-Power-Pack-Up-to-50-rwhp-p/13gt500stage1.htm

With a rez delete AND Airaid filter I've seen there be enough of a difference to need a couple of percent of fuel up top. This is exacerbated by the addition of a larger throttle body.

A stock 13-14 on 93 octane at sea level will make 590-610 on a Dynojet (wx dependent). Deduct 15 or so for 91 octane.

All of our kits and their respective output are measured on 93 with 10% ethanol.

We have hundreds of Stage 3 and 4 kits on the road. The knock sensors on the 13-14 ARE slightly more aggressive than previous years, no doubt to protect from damage due to increased output and a higher rev limit...all the while knowing people will fill them up with gas from Sam's Club.

Our Stage 3 uses a 2.40 pulley, 90mm idler, our Twin Jet 67mm and VMP Custom tune and nets up to 90 rwhp on 93. It uses the stock cai.

If anyone needs tech assistance or some guidance, we're here to help. PM is a bad way to reach us. Either use our support system on vmpperformance.com or call us at 321-206-9369

bj

So with just a tune and not spinning the blower any faster, you get 50 to the wheels? If that's so then Ford left a ton on the table. I would be concerned about running timing too aggressively to see that big of an increase with just a tune...

VNMOUS1

Established Member
So with just a tune and not spinning the blower any faster, you get 50 to the wheels? If that's so then Ford left a ton on the table. I would be concerned about running timing too aggressively to see that big of an increase with just a tune...

(Door opens, BJ steps in....)

OK, I'll bite. How much total spark advance are you running at wot on your car now and what's safe?

bj

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Oh I don't have a gt500 yet lol. Just acquiring information because I am looking to get one soon. I'm planning on doing your stage 1 package. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread