Tune Question

Walk2Much

Established Member
I've had my 09 GT500 for a week now. The person that had it before me had installed a Ford Racing CAI and Axel back. I do not know if it has been tuned or not. It didn't come with a tuner or any paper work besides the original window sticker. From looking through countless threads, it looks as though that CAI must have a tune. 1. how can I find out if it has been tuned or not 2. If it hasn't been tuned, what can happen? This is going to be my DD for the most part. And I plan on doing a gear swap and changing the pulleys in the near future.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
Chances are, it is tuned with the pro-cal tuner that comes in the Ford Racing CAI kit.
If it wasn't tuned, you would most likely get a check engine light because the car would be running too lean.

Walk2Much

Established Member
Thanks. That comforts me. So when I start doing mods that require a tune will have to take it to a dealer and get it reflashed since I don't have the stock tune or the tuner that came with the CAI?

AlCaPwn

Established Member
I would go ahead do the pulley and tune now if you have the money and time. A SUPER worthwhile mod for the money and then you do not have to speculate. Lots of great vendors to order an xcal with tune from if you do not have a shop you trust in the area. That pulley swap can be a beast compared to the ease of a terminator pulley swap though lol. But it is a straight forward job. The pulley is just on there on a GT500 like no body's business!

acobra03

Established Member
I would go ahead do the pulley and tune now if you have the money and time. A SUPER worthwhile mod for the money and then you do not have to speculate. Lots of great vendors to order an xcal with tune from if you do not have a shop you trust in the area. That pulley swap can be a beast compared to the ease of a terminator pulley swap though lol. But it is a straight forward job. The pulley is just on there on a GT500 like no body's business!
+1, I've done a terminator pulley swap and a Gt500 pulley swap and by far the GT500 gave up the biggest fight! But the end result is well worth it. Putting the new pulley on was a breeze after heating it up! Definetely heat up the pulley before installing it.

AlCaPwn

Established Member
Yeah I didn't use heat unfortunately and ended up using the biggest cheater pipe ever and alot of strined veins lol

Walk2Much

Established Member
Would it cheaper to buy the pulley puller for it for it take it to a shop have someone else do it? That just seems like a lot of $ to pay for something that I'll probably only use once.

airmanb2b

Established Member
Had major issues doing my pulley swap. Must have done 100 termies. Came off just fine, but couldnt get the new one to press fully on. It was a PITA. Ended up having it pressed on. Said screw it and sold the tool and bought a spare blower. Will be swapping nose drives if I ever need to go back to stock. Takes 10 minutes to swap a drive.

Users who are viewing this thread