Tuning 03 Cobra wtih only Steeda CAI/Catback?

tomsgarage

Established Member
I know this has probably been asked before, but any benefits of tuning a 03 Cobra that only has Steeda Cold Air Intake, and Cat Back Exhaust? I run the car at Open Track Events such as VIR, Roebling, and Carolina Motor Sports Park. Mostly interested in longevity and dependability, not ultimate horsepower or torque.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
It's allways better to get a car tuned be it modded or even stock! It's just a safety thing to check what's going on.

MikeW

Established Member
Should be fine.... I ran the K&N FIPK,catted x pipe, and Stinger CB for a year before I got a tune. I checked it on a dyno while at a dyno day and it was fine without the tune.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well even after my intake and exhaust (stock tune) the car dipped under 10:1 above 4500. so yes there will be a benefit for maximizing tq/hp, because the stock tune is pig rich (and very, very safe)

MikeW

Established Member
You'll pick up HP and drivability with a good custom tune.... Not to mention peace of mind.

That is kind of a gimmie but he did not ask if a tune would give better HP and/or drivability.

But like you said it will help... my dads cobra without a pulley picked up 35 RWHP from a RWTD custom Tune.

tomsgarage

Established Member
Thanks for the replys. Of course I am looking for more horsepower and torque from my car, just do not need to take it to the extreme. I usually attend 4 -5 ontrack events a year, and if I can gain extra power with a tune and keep the bullit proof nature of the design of this motor, then why not?

Now, what kind of tune do you suggest, diablosport predator with the tune it comes with, or ????????????????????

Again, thanks for the replys!

PDubs

Established Member
With just CAI and c/b, you don't need a tune. But, it's always good to verify this via dyno.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I hit 403 RWHP with just a CAI, CB and no tune...my tuner(Greg @ RET) said that there was about 15-20 additional HP that could be gained just by tuning that particular combo!!! I didn't feel like messin' around so I went straight to the 2.8 pulley instead!!! CAI,CB,2.8,and tune was good for 466/473 to the wheels but 420 or so with the stock 3.5 pulley @ 8 lbs boost is nothing to sneeze at either!!!

Personally, I would get it tuned to maximize the current mods...if you have the right parts and a strong engine...I think you'll be pleasently surprized with the outcome!!!

As far as not bothering with a tune, I'm sure the car will be ok but it's hard not to justify a tune when...1) It doesn't cost that much, 2) It'll give you more power and 3) the car will run a lot better!!!

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread