Tuning this boosted Boss configuration questions

lpheaven

Established Member
Hey Guys,
I have a 2012 Boss 302. i-1 procharger / roush BAP / 60# injectors / FR 0 degree plugs
Other supporting mods: TSS OPGs / FR Comp pulse ring / RXT clutch / and (headers and catless)

I spoke to one of the lead techs at ATI and i can safely run 10 psi. Canned tune is 8.5 for a Boss. At 10 psi this setup can make maybe close to 640 on some good 93 pump gas.

The problem i'm having is I can't find a tuner to either dyno tune or remote without installing ID1000s ??.

Realistically, i'll probably be in the ballpark of 625-630RWHP max so why would i ever need ID1000s ? I don't see the logic except maybe its making good $$$ business ? Correct me if i am wrong but my idle psi will be enough that 85-90% duty cycle with 60lb injectors will be just fine ? I want to optimize what i have not drop another grand for injectors that will be grossly underutilized ?

Any advise highly appreciated - PS One tuner wanted me to also install Brisk plugs while another wanted NGK ? Whats wrong with the Ford Racing 0 plugs ?
I'm trying to gain a bit of knowledge here to understand why my setup is scaring tuners to say i NEED ID1000 injectors and brisk/ngk plugs for 625rwhp approximate.

Thanks !

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Do you want a lean condition one day? like running your injectors at like 200% duty cycle? that is why you wanna go with a set of ID1000s. Majority of the tuners out there want bigger injectors because its safer and they dont want to blow your motor up anymore than you do. Plus ID1000s are designed in a way that they are better suited than other injectors. I remember back in the day 60lb injectors were the shit except after a long weekend of them dripping a very small amount of fuel causing your vehicle to have a super rich start up.

GBCoyote

Established Member
You have X amount of dollars in your setup, don't leave your motor to 900 dollars worth of chance. Sell your current injectors and recoup some of that money back.

lpheaven

Established Member
Do you want a lean condition one day? like running your injectors at like 200% duty cycle? that is why you wanna go with a set of ID1000s. Majority of the tuners out there want bigger injectors because its safer and they dont want to blow your motor up anymore than you do. Plus ID1000s are designed in a way that they are better suited than other injectors. I remember back in the day 60lb injectors were the shit except after a long weekend of them dripping a very small amount of fuel causing your vehicle to have a super rich start up.

Of course I don't So are you telling me 60lb injectors aren't good for 625 wrhp ? OK that's cool because I thought those injectors could handle that HP with my current fuel pressure and BAP and more.

But wait, right now I'm 600rwhp and 80% duty cycle with my current idle psi. If I push these 60lb injectors to 625 hp with my pro charger at the highest limit safe per ATI, I'm at 200% of the 60 injectors and will go lean ?

lpheaven

Established Member
I don't have an issue with spending money on ID1000s. I guess what I'm asking is I guess what you guys answered that 60lb injectors can't handle 625rwhp with my current fueling setup and can run lean.

So I'll be totally safe if I go with the ID1000s ?

GBCoyote

Established Member
It's not that they can't handle the power, I'm pretty sure the ID's are easier to dial in and alot more reliable/consistent with your numbers. There's a reason they want the ID1000's.

CPRsm

They want IDs because of ease of tuning and drivability. You can get ID 750's, but the 1000's are just a bit more, so that's what everyone gets.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Naw never said the 60s won't work man. My numbers are just made up numbers but if you ran those at lets say 120% that leaves no room for error that's all. I know what you thinking about getting more shit man, Iv been there too. One issue I won't play with is fuel I just get in front of potential problems before they start.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I could never figure this out either. ID's must be easier on the tuner. Everyone dogs FRPP 80's, but I made 800whp with them and had stock drivability... I'm going to ID1300's so I guess I'll find out what all the hoopla is about.

My car also made 625whp on 47's without a BAP a couple years ago...

bunits19714

Established Member
Remotely you will probably not find a tuner to tune the 60# like you stated- the two reasons are laziness and tuner responsibility- to get it really dialed in would take more than normal data logging from YOU -- Yes the 60#'s are good for close to 680-700 on gasoline- And you should be able to easily make 700 @ 10 psi with a good tune and a true BOSS mustang- run good gas and turn it up to 11-12 but then you will definitely need the id's1000 . you have 55-60 k of hardware there (total investment) why are you dealing with a $350.00 injector????? like someone else stated. Post up some numbers when you get that I1 dialed in I think you will be very pleased.

lpheaven

Established Member
I understand a little better now after a few folks called me to explain in terminology I won't remember tomorrow. Basically it's easier for the tuner and more than half get the id1000s edited and dumbed down quite a bit in the tune making it easier for the tuner to fix idle issues maybe a slight mileage improvement etc but that's about it period, unless you have a setup that you can expand to 1000hp.

I can sleep better after that phone call that my injectors are not an issue for my setup and actually better matched.

Basically it it means I just can't get a tune from the same guys that a lot of you guys use.
No biggie, I can just stay on the canned tune. I'm just one of those guys who need to know why before I just follow without empirical data.

Thanks for the input !

Users who are viewing this thread