Tuning Vortech ECM Chip

spilly

Established Member
I recently purchased a '96 Cobra with Vortech V1 and aftercooler. I'm assuming this kit came with the Vortech chip for the blower setup and I'm looking for info on the ability to tune the chip setup. The previous owner provided a dyno sheet from JPC showing 460rwhp/400lb which seems a little high for what I believe the stock Vortech tune should be putting down so I'm thinking it was retuned. This is my guess based on internet research but someone please correct me if this expected levels with this setup.

I have a few questions:
  • Is tuning the Vortech chip possible?
  • If so are there any limitations where I should consider removing the chip and going directly to an SCT handheld and flash tune?
  • If I do go with SCT is there any paticular model that I need for my year and motor?

I have a request to JPC for dyno and tuning and spoke with Woodbine Motorsports today as thery're very local to me and they said tuning the chip was possible.

New to Mustangs and superchargers so trying to gather as much info as possible.

projectslideway

Established Member
I can tell you that it has been tuned. IIRC, that setup with the Vortech chip yields around 390 at best? I personally went with SCT PRP and Don Lasota's tuning guide and tuned it myself. It was a learning curve but I'm very happy. I see you're local, feel free to PM me with any questions.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you can verify if it has a chip by checking the computer, which should be in the pass side kick panel.

personally Id upgrade to a handheld - it doubles to check and clear codes and once the car is tuned if you ever need any tweaks they just email them to you instead of having to remove the chip and take it/mail it to the tuner

spilly

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards going the SCT handheld tuner route as I trust direct tuning much more.

I don't need the latest and greatest tuner so I would look to pick up a used one.

Is there a specific model of SCT handheld tuner I need to look for?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
figure out who your tuner is going to be before picking a device.

I dunno how much support there is for like the old Xcal2 units, might want to look at the X3s or whatever you can find a deal on. I kind of like that with my X4 I can monitor alot of things right there on the bigger screen, update over wifi etc...

spilly

Established Member
I'm going to make an appointment Woodbine Motorsports as they're only 10 minutes from me and they do SCP tuning. I'll look for an X3 or see if I can get a deal on an X4.

I've used other handheld tuners on my Suby and BMW and ensuring they're unmarried is always critical when buying used. Can the SCP be powered up to ensure it's unmarried and what should I look for?

Thanks again.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you can connect them to either any OBD2 port or with the right usb cable to any computer. i believe each device says it a little differently and in a slightly different menu where the status of the device is (locked vs unlocked I believe). The SCT devices also have a limited number of unlocks so you want to check how many are left as well. Best bet is probably to get the directions for the devices off of SCT's website

decipha

Established Member
that power is right on par with what a stock cobra makes with 15lbs of boost

SCT cant read the chip, youll need someone that uses moates equipment to do that

SCT has limited support for the 96 cobra which is the CDAN4 strategy, best bet would be to buy a quarterhorse and tune it directly through the ecu, no need in having to shut it off to make changes etc..

if you do go the xcal route, make sure the xcal is not married and Doesnt have all 5 unlocks used

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
either one when done properly should net the same end result as far as I know, the biggest thing with a chip is every time you need to unhook the battery, crawl down there and get the chip out, put in a chip burner to make the changes, put it back in the computer, hook the battery back up and start data logging again. With the normal handhelds (I dont know anything about the limited support issue with SCT) you shut the car off, make changes in the laptop, download to the handheld then download through the OBD2 port (all those things can be left connected the whole time) and start the car again.

the method decipha is talking about you never have to shut the car off and do all the downloading to the device then to the car etc...its done basically in real time. I wish I could remember where I saw it, it may have been on this site, that with that sytem there is the possibility that something happens and the computer will be bricked (I cant remember if it was like hitting a bump and something comes loose or what but it seemed like something that wouldnt be THAT much of a stretch for it to happen) so you may want to find out about that

spilly

Established Member
DSG - I read the same thing yesterday about possibly bricking the ECU with the chip and think it was in a thread discussing the Moates Binary Editor.

The chip seems old school and I don't like the idea of "tricking" the ECU into a change vs actually changing the underlying tables. I'm watching a couple SCT X3's on eBay and CraigsList for some local sales. From previous experienced with tuned cars, it's always good to have a tool to read the codes that always seem to pop up.

decipha

Established Member
the benefit of tuning over the j3 port when plugged directly into the ecu is that you get much faster datalogging as well as several more parameters to log, you can make realtime changes and not have to worry about pulling over to write tunes

It is possible to fry the ecu by removing a chip from the j3 port while the ignition is on, I've had it happen twice in over a thousand vehicles Ive plugged into, the first fried the chip and ecu, the second happened so quickly it managed not to fry anything, as long and you have the ecu secure and not laying on the floorboard with a passenger kicking their feet youll never have issues

Once you go to realtime datalogging and tuning youll never want to go back to the old way of reviewing datalogs, making changes and writing the ecu each time, its especially time consuming and aggravating when your trying to dial in idle or dashpot or specific areas of the tune

Users who are viewing this thread